The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Audio Books

priell3
Lorien

Feb 24 2007, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 18 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Audio Books Can't Post

Does anyone have the audio books of The Hobbit and the LOTR?

I just got the complete unabridged versions on CD from Ebay for less than half of the original
retail price. The CDs are in perfect condition. All expertly narrated by Rob Inglis.

The Hobbit is 10 CDs, the trilogy is 46 CDs.

I have ripped The Hobbit CDs onto my pc, tagged the files and put them on a microSD card
to play on my MP3 player (not an iPod). Next task is to transfer LOTR.

Soon I'll be able to "read" my favorite books anytime, anywhere even while I'm working.

You can find them on Ebay or at http://www.recordedbooks.com.

By the way, James Galway has an album "Wings of Song" which contains a
"Lord of the Rings Suite", a complilation of music from the movie soundtracks. Very good listening.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 24 2007, 3:08pm

Post #2 of 18 (1419 views)
Shortcut
no, I have the BBC dramatization [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the BBC "radio play" edition quite a bit. It's abridged, of course, but feels faithful to the storyline. I've listened to it several times over the last few years in my car on long trips.

I've always hesitated to get the audiobook versions of Hobbit/LOTR. Not sure why (besides cost!). I wouldn't want the Hobbit anyway, as I almost never read it. And I seem to have a love affair going with my battered black-covered LOTR trilogy book editions.

But having it on my computer, now...to listen to "at work" with my headset on. Hmmm. GOOD IDEA!!

Evil (a.s. ponders how she can sneak a download past the IS department at work....)

I have been thinking of purchasing the Silmarillion as an unabridged audio CD, though, because I really need to read it again.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2007, 3:35pm

Post #3 of 18 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Strange that you should mention those... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the Rob Inglis audios for FotR and TT (so far), and I've been listening to them as I do treadmill-walking!

He's quite good, isn't he, at doing the different voices. I like his Gandalf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

drogo
Lorien

Feb 24 2007, 4:46pm

Post #4 of 18 (1444 views)
Shortcut
I have the Inglis LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as the BBC dramatization, the BBC Hobbit, and the Martin Shaw Silmarillion. (I do a lot of car trips!).

I like Inglis as a narrator, and he does a passable job singing (they do need to work on the settings for some of the songs, though!). He captures Bombadil pretty well, though I don't care for his reading of some of the Elven scenes as much. It's good, overall, though.

I haven't heard his Hobbit, so I would be interested in a review when you're done. I sense he would be pretty good for that book.

Martin Shaw is nice and "biblical" for The Sil. His pronunciation is off in a number of places, though, which irritates the snot out of me!

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2007, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 18 (1419 views)
Shortcut
LotR & Silmarilion both on CD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have The Lord of the Rings by Rob Inglis and The Silmarilion both on CD. I listen to LotR once a year, though sometimes I don't get all the way through it.

i grown to appreceate Rob Inglis more each time I listen to it. Sometimes, how he reads certain parts will ring in my ears. (can not think of which oes.) Something happening in the moment will trigger a memory. It took me a while to get used to him though. I have not listened all the way through the Sil.

I sometimes like to read while I am listening.

I am very grateful to have these, because I am a slow reader, my mind wanders around a lot. I agree with what is so great about having audio books. I like to listen to them while I am drawing or making jewelry, or my oher arts and crafts, or cleaning house. I love it. It is like accomplishing two things at once, all the while beig entertained by old friends. And it is far less distracting than the TV.

You have me very interested in the James Galway album "Wings of Song". He came here to Honolulu a couple of years ago. I went with two or three friends. I ended up with a signed CD of some Irish music. I would love to have "Lord of the Rings Suite". sounds wonderful. I also went to Rene Fleming perfomance when she came here.

Famous performers hardly ever come here, let alone LotR associated folks) ...so far away and isolated as we are. My whole group has been writing letters and emails begging them to do the LotR symphony.

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 24 2007, 7:02pm

Post #6 of 18 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Ditto DoN: LOTR and the Sil on CD [In reply to] Can't Post

We love to listen to them in the car. I especially love Rob Inglis's Orc and Treebeard voices. I find I'm more aware and appreciative of the humor Tolkien put into the story when I'm listening to it read than when I'm reading it.

I've gotten most of them with gift cards, and The Hobbit is next on my list. (Btw, I found that buying the LOTR CDs individually on Amazon/Borders is cheaper than buying them as a package deal - at least that was the case when I bought all of mine).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 24 2007, 7:43pm

Post #7 of 18 (1408 views)
Shortcut
**hands drogo a tissue [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Martin Shaw is nice and "biblical" for The Sil. His pronunciation is off in a number of places, though, which irritates the snot out of me!

hmmm. And the only reason I'd be listening is because I need to get the Elvish stuff DRILLED into me somehow, and can't face reading it again.

So maybe a reading with mispronunciations isn't my best way to go (because I might not recognize a mispronunciation). Is there another recording, anyone know?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

drogo
Lorien

Feb 24 2007, 8:23pm

Post #8 of 18 (1395 views)
Shortcut
It's worth it still [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd recommend the Shaw Silmarillion since it is a good recording overall. It does help you get through the list of names.

The one I like the best is CJRT''s recording of the Beren and Luthien chapter (i have it on the JRRT Audio Collection along with Tolkien reading "Riddles in the Dark" and other clips).

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 24 2007, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 18 (1436 views)
Shortcut
I have that, and love it [In reply to] Can't Post

The one I like the best is CJRT''s recording of the Beren and Luthien chapter (i have it on the JRRT Audio Collection along with Tolkien reading "Riddles in the Dark" and other clips).

I'd forgotten there were those CT readings there. I will have to re-listen. Usually I just listen to the Professor reading. I love his reading of "Herbs and Stewed Rabbit" especially Sam's voice saying "Oh you're hopeless, go back to sleep". Although I do think he does Gollum with an Indian accent...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 24 2007, 9:16pm

Post #10 of 18 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Those are wonderful recordings. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I'd forgotten there were those CT readings there. I will have to re-listen. Usually I just listen to the Professor reading. I love his reading of "Herbs and Stewed Rabbit" especially Sam's voice saying "Oh you're hopeless, go back to sleep". Although I do think he does Gollum with an Indian accent...

a.s.

The Professor's reading of The Ride of the Rohirrim brings me to tears every time.

My son gave me the BBC dramatization of LotR for Christmas. I'm mostly enjoying it, although I don't care for some of the voices (particularly Aragorn). And, although I adored Ian Holm as Bilbo in the movies, I really don't care for him as Frodo. He sounds old and crochety.

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 24 2007, 9:37pm

Post #11 of 18 (1384 views)
Shortcut
not those, but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have those, but I do have the BBC LotR dramatization and The J.R.R. Tolkien Audio Collection that others have mentioned. I'd highly recommend the latter; there's something very special about hearing Tolkien's words in his own voice. It's chiefly poetry that he reads, but the better part of The Hobbit's "Riddles in the Dark" chapter is included, as well as the "What's taters, precious?" conversation and a Ride of the Rohirrim excerpt from LotR.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 24 2007, 9:44pm

Post #12 of 18 (1392 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

about Aragorn's voice. It's my biggest complaint about the set.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 2:39am

Post #13 of 18 (1394 views)
Shortcut
That's the ones I have [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only missing The Hobbit unabridged book on tape. I've put them all on my iPod so I no longer have to carry around the CDs.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

drogo
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 10:21pm

Post #14 of 18 (1394 views)
Shortcut
For collectors who still have a record player/turntable [In reply to] Can't Post

This Ebay auction might be of interest... though hardcore collectors wouldn't actually play it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2007, 5:01pm

Post #15 of 18 (1381 views)
Shortcut
BBC Lord of the Rings radio play is our favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

We listen to it on car trips at least once a year. Parts of it have become our family in-joke.

We also have CDs of the complete Silmarillion, the BBC Tales from the Perilous Realms radio plays, and the JRRT Audio Collection, plus the BBC Hobbit radio play on tape. The BBC Hobbit radio play is worth a listen, but IMO isn't as good as the BBC LOTR radio play. Tales from the Perilous Realms is a bunch of Tolkien's shorter works adapted by Brian Sibley, who also did the BBC LOTR. It includes Farmer Giles of Ham, Tree and Leaf, the Tom Bombadil section from LOTR (which was not included in the BBC LOTR due to time constraints), and a couple of others.

The JRRT audio collection includes Tolkien's own readings of his work plus Christopher Tolkien reading excerpts from the Sil; I highly recommend it. Ian Mckellen must have listened to it because he pronounced "Mordor" rolling the Rs just like Tolkien did!

Right now, though, we're taking a break from Tolkien and listening to Patrick O'Brian's books on CD when we go on car trips. "The Far Side of the World" is next on the list.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Daeorn Aldalómë
Bree

Feb 26 2007, 6:52pm

Post #16 of 18 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Great Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking about purchasing the audio books for sometime. I have a job that allows me to listen to my mp3 player all day so this would be a pretty awesome invesment. eBay here I come!

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 27 2007, 6:59am

Post #17 of 18 (1388 views)
Shortcut
I have The Silmarillion on unabridged cassette. [In reply to] Can't Post

That I'll probably never listen to. I'd be willing to part with it, if anyone wanted it.

It's read by Martin Shaw, and I guess he did a good job with it. I listened only to a little bit of it before I decided that I didn't really care for it enough to want to listen to the whole thing.

Children’s Interpretations of the Bible

Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 7:03pm

Post #18 of 18 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Personal experiences getting Rings to IPOD and then to car [In reply to] Can't Post

My objective was to get the whole Inglis LR set onto my (30GB) IPod. So I first copied the original disks for backup and then copied them as mp3s to my hard drive. The naming was the most difficult because first you have 46 disks and 1084 tracks but also because ITunes works easiest if all tracks are in order. So you must name each track in some consecutive way. ITunes found the name by itself for about half (which must be slightly edited). I chose numbers for the disks and letters for the tracks, 1A to 46X, and then added the Chapter name (ie, "Long Expected Party") to each one. BTW, chapters can cross multiple disks. It's easy if you use a program like ZTREE, which doesn't go through Windows File Manager. But it (the renaming) can be done easy enough by c&p (cut and paste).

So summarizing, it's easiest for later work if the tracks are all in one directory (folder) and are named alphabetically start to finish, ie, A1 to 46x (which is the last track of the last Appendix). Once downloaded to your computer, you'll probably be working in the ITunes Library. But sometimes you can't move tracks around in the Library. If so, you'll have to create a Playlist and move the tracks to the Playlist first. There you can move tracks to the order you like them.

Then upload the whole Playlist (1084 tracks!) to the IPOD. You're stuck with your IPod track order you now have. If something's out of order or otherwise you want to change anything, you'll have to first make the change in your ITunes Playlist (software), then delete the Playlist on the IPod (hardware) and then re-upload the new revised Playlist (software>hardware). You might have to do this a few times, what with 1084 tracks. It gets to be second nature.

-------
Then to listen to your IPod in your car, it's a piece of cake. Most folks don't have a new Lexis with an IPod jack - that's the easiest. But many folks DO have a cassette player. You can get from Radio Shack a pseudo cassette that is just a Line In device, that is, it looks like a cassette but the guts are electronics and there's a 1/8" jack coming out on a wire. Just plug that into your IPOD.

To make a clean-machine install, I got a small square of h-duty sticky-back velcro and used it to stick the IPod belt-mount to the dashboard hand's reach next to the radio/cassette. The sticky velcro is just to help mount it - you don't pull the velcro on and off because the IPod case has a button on the back that snaps to the belt mount! Snap-in -- snap out very easy. Then plug the cassette line-in to the top and instant IPod with radio control. Be sure to get a car-lighter charger so you don't run out of juice just as Gollum bites a finger.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's really not. But you can then listen to the LR to your heart's content whenever you drive and not be insulted by those flaming liberals on NPR.

I'll be glad to answer any questions private or public about this if anyone wants to try it.

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.