Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Galadriel vs the WK

Benevolent
The Shire

Feb 15 2012, 7:40pm

Post #1 of 10 (4655 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel vs the WK Can't Post

Take the Gandalf vs The Witch King encounter from RotK (Tolkien version), but substitute Gandalf for Galadriel wielding one of those anti-Nazgul blades of Westernesse.
How does the big bad WK react?

Benevolent
The Shire

Feb 15 2012, 7:41pm

Post #2 of 10 (624 views)
Shortcut
I think he wets himself. [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 15 2012, 7:56pm

Post #3 of 10 (672 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel and the Witchking [In reply to] Can't Post

Would Galadriel even need a special weapon? I can imagine that Galadriel would have certainly not feared the Witchking (The Eldar did not fear the Nazgul because the Nazgul had no power over them, as shown by Gandalf speaking of Glorfindel). In that manner the Witcking does not have greater physical prescence than Galadriel.

Despite this, is there any reason why the Witcking could not utterly crush her?

If I remember rightly, somewhere it is written that Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur (3 times) but the power of the elves that lived there overcame Sauron's army (presumably led by the Nazgul). If this army couldn't assail Galadriel's power, neither could a single Nazgul.

A slight digression there, but yes, I'm sure the Witchking probably wouldn't be too happy over the situation.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 16 2012, 5:58am

Post #4 of 10 (628 views)
Shortcut
Interesting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the question sure beats Harry Potter versus Wolverine. Wink

There are several very interesting points we must look at:

1. Witchy-poo has a problem with the ladies which is well documented.

2. The Nazgul, W-k included, don't seem to enjoy the presence of High Elves' As Gandalf told Frodo in Rivendell: "those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen & the Unseen they have great power."

3. Nenya. If Vilya helped Elrond wipe out all Nine Riders attempting to cross the Bruinen, then her Ring would certainly be the reason no evil can enter Lorien. What could it do if she were attacked?

4. You give her a sword made to defeat Angmar, forget it.

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Benevolent
The Shire

Feb 16 2012, 2:06pm

Post #5 of 10 (612 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

If I remember rightly, somewhere it is written that Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur (3 times) but the power of the elves that lived there overcame Sauron's army (presumably led by the Nazgul). If this army couldn't assail Galadriel's power, neither could a single Nazgul.

It was stated that Lórien resisted the attacks due to the bravery of its inhabitants; but also that "the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself."
- Appendix A of The Return of the King

In Reply To
Would Galadriel even need a special weapon? I can imagine that Galadriel would have certainly not feared the Witchking (The Eldar did not fear the Nazgul because the Nazgul had no power over them, as shown by Gandalf speaking of Glorfindel). In that manner the Witcking does not have greater physical prescence than Galadriel.

In Reply To
4. You give her a sword made to defeat Angmar, forget it.

I don't think she'd need such a weapon. I just threw it in there to make the encounter as frightening as possible for the WK, since he knows those blades are more dangerous to him than any other weapon.

In Reply To

1. Witchy-poo has a problem with the ladies which is well documented.

Yes, he's aware of the prophecy and there was even a moment of hesitation and doubt when Eowyn revealed herself. The prospect of facing the greatest female eldar in existence would not be welcomed by the wraith.

In Reply To
3. Nenya. If Vilya helped Elrond wipe out all Nine Riders attempting to cross the Bruinen, then her Ring would certainly be the reason no evil can enter Lorien. What could it do if she were attacked?

The 3 were not weapons. I doubt it would be useful.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 16 2012, 4:13pm

Post #6 of 10 (633 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the qoute [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Galadriel would defeat/beat the Witchking, unlesss her back was turned Tongue

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2012, 1:58am

Post #7 of 10 (636 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

hands down, that elf would kick his butt, from the Iron Hills to Mordor...no problem, she would barely break a sweat.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2012, 12:10pm

Post #8 of 10 (790 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel, one hand tied behind her back and eyes shut. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

esheming
Bree

Mar 6 2012, 5:29am

Post #9 of 10 (6017 views)
Shortcut
If this were to happen during the battle for Gondor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the cock dind't crow...? I predict that either 1) they both would perish, or 2) the Witch King would win. It pains me to say it, but hear me out. The Witch King is at the height of his power at this point, and let's not forget also great king of men and, like Galadriel, a ring bearer (basically an evil Aragorn with a ring) - and he has his trusty Nazgul steed. Galadriel, being outside of Lorien with the power of the Elves waning due to the return of Sauron, could be at a disadvantage here. Let's also not forget that Eowyn didn't beat the Witch King alone ~ and the prophecy 'no living man may hinder me' not only referred to the female who would kill him, but to the halfling who would surprise him from behind, giving Eowyn her legendary kill-strike chance! Now, if Galadriel had a hobbit at her side, or better yet a Dwarf to change things up a bit, I'd give her the advantage. If her Dwarven sidekick were female, I'd actually go so far as to give Galadriel 20 to 1 odds in this scenario.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 4:54pm

Post #10 of 10 (477 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.