Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What do you call this room?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What do you call this room?
Living room 39 / 75%
Front room 3 / 6%
Drawing room 4 / 8%
Other 3 / 6%
Mine is combined into a "great room" 3 / 6%
52 total votes

Nightingale
Rohan

Feb 15 2012, 10:16pm

Post #51 of 68 (279 views)
Shortcut
We have one [In reply to] Can't Post

as do the majority of my acquaintance. However, for us, the door off the garage is the 'utility/garage door'. The 'back door/patio door' leads onto the garden Crazy

Nightingale
Rohan

Feb 15 2012, 10:18pm

Post #52 of 68 (288 views)
Shortcut
I always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

that high tea was a fairly substantial cold late meal, (like what I call supper), whereas afternoon tea is more of the fiddly finger-food and cakes variety. so you could be right.

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 16 2012, 3:32am

Post #53 of 68 (381 views)
Shortcut
Same thing as a glove compartment. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I don't often put gloves in mine. Let's see, I have--ice scraper, screwdriver, flashlight, some maps. From my youth I seem to recall people getting the bottle opener out of it. First aid kit maybe.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 16 2012, 9:50am

Post #54 of 68 (317 views)
Shortcut
Should be renamed [In reply to] Can't Post

to Map Compartment.

Sounds more exciting. Bilbo would approve Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2012, 11:35am

Post #55 of 68 (338 views)
Shortcut
Maps are dead.. .haven't you heard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Between gps and a google maps print out, maps aren't carried much anymore.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 16 2012, 1:14pm

Post #56 of 68 (301 views)
Shortcut
Never! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still carry a map in my car, all be it, an old, torn and missing pages map. But it is there for good intentions. I have a GPS but never use it! It annoys me and takes just a long to start up and find my location, than actually following road signs. So I don't use it.

I think I'm lucky in having some sort of photographic memory. I will look at the way on google maps and (eventually) find my where to where I am going Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2012, 5:19pm

Post #57 of 68 (292 views)
Shortcut
A GPS? What's that? [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people I know have those in their cars...they're great for getting them lost. Evil

And a relative once used Google Maps to get to my house...it had her go down a nearby side-street, which it showed as connected to mine, but which is really a dead end.

Nope, I'll stick with my AAA maps! Smile (And I too use them to "memorize" the route first, before heading out.)

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 16 2012, 8:33pm

Post #58 of 68 (300 views)
Shortcut
Well, they are pretty old maps... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly When I think about it, I don't use maps much until I get lost, so the maps I have are mostly from the previous century. Haven't felt that a GPS was necessary enough to shell out the bucks for. I usually drive in familiar places and if I don't know where I'm going get on Yahoo first.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Feb 19 2012, 5:54am

Post #59 of 68 (283 views)
Shortcut
supper [In reply to] Can't Post

to Australians, supper is what you have later on in the evening- for some it is their main meal because they missed tea/dinner, but it also can be the something you have before you go to sleep.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 20 2012, 12:35am

Post #60 of 68 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's how I remembered it. [In reply to] Can't Post

On Sunday we went to church fasting, then came home and ate a big 'dinner'. In the evening 'supper' consisted of something like an omelet. But, yes, 'dinner' meant 'big meal of the day', and was in the evening every day except Sunday.

This was in North Carolina and Virginia, 1940's and 50's.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 20 2012, 7:04pm

Post #61 of 68 (276 views)
Shortcut
Typical of kids in my area and time, [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up calling it "the front room" at one grandma's house, and "the living room" at the other's. And don't even get us started on the lunch, dinner, and supper thing.*rolls eyes* "The den" was always Dad's hide-out away from the living room and kitchen, but was sometimes shared with us.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 7:10pm

Post #62 of 68 (254 views)
Shortcut
Where are you from, Eowyn? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm beginning to feel alone calling it the "front room" here in Indy. I must train myself to call it the living room. But this is kind of like saying "ice box" or "refrigerator" , although, of course, there is historical precedence and accuracy to say ice box. We still call it that, though, even though that term was no longer accurate even when I was born, almost 62 years ago.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 20 2012, 7:25pm

Post #63 of 68 (243 views)
Shortcut
I'm a south-central PA, Mason-Dixon Liner. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 20 2012, 7:31pm

Post #64 of 68 (435 views)
Shortcut
Maps, atlas, and state gazeteer for every vehicle! =) [In reply to] Can't Post

Dad's sister gave me the Christmas gift GPS unit so I could teach my Mom to use it in case of emergency on trips with Dad. We tried it out on a longer day-trip, but it will never completely replace our paper maps. The GPS searches take too long, and are not always accurate, so I'll stick with Google Maps pre-trip when possible. Plus, we can be pretty impulsive travelers, so being able to see the big picture to compare routes is essential.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2012, 8:32pm

Post #65 of 68 (242 views)
Shortcut
Living Room, which is a bit strange [In reply to] Can't Post

since we are hardly ever in it.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2012, 9:37pm

Post #66 of 68 (863 views)
Shortcut
Since we built the family room, we're not in the living room as often... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the piano is in there (which I play at playing) and there is a TV in there, which, when the grandkids are here is great for anyone who doesn't want to watch what others are watching.

When we have someone in the house who is not family or friends, they are met in the living room (front room to the front door) and stay in there so we don't have to hurriedly tidy the family room. It's really where we relax and live, cause it's bigger and much less formal.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 6 2012, 1:21pm

Post #67 of 68 (198 views)
Shortcut
I LIKE open floor plans! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually really like being able to visit with people while I'm cooking rather than being isolated. It's especially nice when we have company. They can visit with me while I'm cooking without having to feel underfoot. Also, I love the flow of light in the rooms that are the kitchen/dining area, and that would be completely shut down if there were a wall in between.

Also, unless I'm cooking cabbage or sardines, I enjoy it when the house smells like the food I'm cooking. I find it welcoming and comforting.

To each her own! Smile

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 6 2012, 1:25pm

Post #68 of 68 (3942 views)
Shortcut
"that room over there." [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we are kind of lazy! If we were going to call it anything, it would be the living room (that's what we called it growing up in Western WA). But since we spend most of our time in either the kitchen/dining space or the main living space, we refer to it mostly as "this room" or "the other room." Sometimes, it's "the main room" or just "downstairs," if we are upstairs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.