Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An idea for Cumberbatch's cameo.

aifeme
Rivendell

Feb 11 2012, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 25 (2294 views)
Shortcut
An idea for Cumberbatch's cameo. Can't Post

We don't know anythink about that yet, but I've been thinking...it would be nice seeing BC as an Elf, I think he fits perfectly:) Maybe in a frontline of the Elven Army in the Battle of Five Armies, shooting his arrows with pokerfaceWink

Share Your ideasSmile

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 10:45pm

Post #2 of 25 (658 views)
Shortcut
Cameo? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been confirmed that he will play Smaug (voice and mo-cap) and unofficially (or is it now official? I'm rubbish at finding past press releases?) as the Necromancer.
I doubt he will have any other cameo (perhaps the voices of the trolls Wink)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 11 2012, 10:47pm)

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2012, 10:53pm

Post #3 of 25 (650 views)
Shortcut
He's officially confirmed for both [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Cumberbatch said that he's providing the voice for The Necromancer. He didn't say anything about physically playing the part.

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 11 2012, 10:54pm)

aifeme
Rivendell

Feb 11 2012, 11:33pm

Post #4 of 25 (599 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course I know about Smaug and Necromancer. Just think it would be nice to see a cameo with himSmile

daemoon
Rivendell

Feb 12 2012, 1:02am

Post #5 of 25 (549 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

A silent Glorfindel at the White Council meeting would be perfect cameo. =)

(This post was edited by daemoon on Feb 12 2012, 1:06am)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2012, 1:17am

Post #6 of 25 (534 views)
Shortcut
I doubt they'd throw an actor like Cumberbatch in the background for a "blink and you'll miss it" cameo. [In reply to] Can't Post

As he's voicing the Necromancer and Smaug (+ mo-cap) we of course won't see his face in either of these roles, so a cameo with a couple of lines would work. As an elf like you mentioned.

(This post was edited by Carne on Feb 12 2012, 1:18am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 12 2012, 10:23am

Post #7 of 25 (468 views)
Shortcut
What would the point be? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see any reason why he would need a cameo when he is playing the two main antagonists in the films!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 12 2012, 10:24am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 12 2012, 10:24am

Post #8 of 25 (427 views)
Shortcut
Thanks duats [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't sure if it had been officially confirmed Smile

aifeme
Rivendell

Feb 12 2012, 12:16pm

Post #9 of 25 (444 views)
Shortcut
The reason is simple: [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not?Wink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 12 2012, 12:20pm

Post #10 of 25 (441 views)
Shortcut
It depends if we see his face... [In reply to] Can't Post

If we don't see his face then I'd like to see a cameo. But I think there's a chance we'll see The Necromancer's face if they go down the Annatar route.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

ThorinII
The Shire

Feb 12 2012, 1:55pm

Post #11 of 25 (401 views)
Shortcut
I agree with QuackingTroll [In reply to] Can't Post

If we won't see his face as Necromancer a cameo will be nice.

"Nothing stands taller than the might of the Dwarves"

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 12 2012, 1:56pm

Post #12 of 25 (415 views)
Shortcut
The answer is: [In reply to] Can't Post

Why bother? Wink

hehe!

miriel

Feb 12 2012, 1:56pm

Post #13 of 25 (395 views)
Shortcut
a few "if"-s [In reply to] Can't Post

If we do not see BCs face in role of necromancer* and if he has time to do a cameo, it would be very nice if he did one, IMO :)

A cameo would certainly have its benedicts....I mean Benefits (LOL), as it would please all the Sherlock fans**, and could trigger discussions on popular Sherlock-websites => possibly bigger audience.
Giving Figwit a "big" role in RotK shows that PJ et al. are inclined to listen to the audience.

Cameos are very appreciated in general -think about the Hitchcock-spotting for example- and fairly low-prize, so a cameo by BC is certainly possible :)

*quite likely since that which we do not see tend to be more scary than that which we do see, and PJ has directed some pretty scary movies and knows this :P
**many were disappointed when it turned out they would probably only hear BC, not see him (some that speculated about the possible role as Bard actually sounded a bit devastated after getting the great news about BC playing Smaug)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 12 2012, 1:57pm

Post #14 of 25 (397 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

They could put him in the background somewhere.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 12 2012, 3:35pm

Post #15 of 25 (379 views)
Shortcut
I really doubt that Annatar will appear. [In reply to] Can't Post

After all he went away with the sinking of Numinor. PJ made the decision to not go in that direction in Return of the King. I doubt he would be foolish enough to bring the idea back.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 12 2012, 3:37pm

Post #16 of 25 (389 views)
Shortcut
Yah! [In reply to] Can't Post

He could sit right between the Blue Wizards.

Photobucket

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2012, 6:05pm

Post #17 of 25 (363 views)
Shortcut
Kangi, that doesn't make sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

And you know it doesn't. I don't know where this strain of antipathy comes from towards that Great Noldorian Elf who drove The Witch King himself from the field of battle in the final wars between Angmar and failing Arnor,was close in counsel and friendship with Gandalf and Elrond, and had more power and wisdom than Haldir, Lindir, Gildor, Galdor, Figwit and, yes, even the mighty Tauriel, even were they all combined into a single obscure superelf.

All that aside, here is the problem with that sarcastic bit of analogy. The Blue Wizards don't live in Rivendell. By the time of The Hobbit neither Alatar nor Pallando would have paid any visits to Rivendell in at least Three Centuries. They went into The East with Saruman, but remained there and did not return with him. And Saruman returned West near three hundred years before LOTR, bearing gifts and aid to King Frealaf Hildeson of Rohan whilst discretely seeking THe Pallantir of Orthanc, and settled at Angrenost, dwelling thereafter in The Tower of Orthanc in The Ring of Isengard, with the blessing and to the initial comfort of Beren The Steward of Gondor. The Blue Wizards, as much as many of us might like to see them in some time or place in something or another, really don't belong at any meeting of The Council which takes place as far along in the timeline of The Third Age as those represented in the coming film are.

Glorfindel, on the other hand, lives in Rvendell, was the great (quasi holy) champion and war captain in those battles against the evil forces of The North and East that Rivendell still ocassionally took part in during The Third Age. He was actually present at Council meetings and active in The West during that period of The Third Age. So I don't see the validity of the earlier analogy.

Just saying.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Feb 12 2012, 6:14pm)

Milknut
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 6:27pm

Post #18 of 25 (345 views)
Shortcut
Because some fans want to see his fleshy-face. [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Serkis did it by paying Smeagol at the start of film 3. Before that all he was was a gob of spit in TTT. PJ and a lot of the crew had cameos and I think it would be obvious for BC to do one, too. He's so elfy and the fans would love to spot him, so I hope they do have a cameo for him!

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Milknut
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 6:30pm

Post #19 of 25 (339 views)
Shortcut
Um I think it was a joke. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course the blue wizards were long gone at that point, that's common knowledge. So is Glorfindel's amazing power.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Milknut
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 6:32pm

Post #20 of 25 (344 views)
Shortcut
If you go by the Andy Serkis precedent [In reply to] Can't Post

you may be right. On the other hand I think a quick cameo would be fine. He's already playing both villains, for Pete's sake. What more does the man require?

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 7:00pm

Post #21 of 25 (337 views)
Shortcut
never heard of the guy . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the disadvantages of being an American is that I have never seen (or rarely seen) many of these actors from the UK.

Checked out the Wiki page on him . . . looks like an elf, so it they want to include him in a visual cameo, that makes sense.

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 12 2012, 8:02pm

Post #22 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
Listening overmuch to the audience [In reply to] Can't Post

Is usually the death knell for a work of art.

PJ should listen to himself, his team, and Tolkien.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 12 2012, 8:39pm

Post #23 of 25 (296 views)
Shortcut
You see, [In reply to] Can't Post

I just want The Hobbit. I do not need it loaded up with a bunch of Silmarillion (or for that matter LotR) references. The White Council/Council of the Wise is just an aside as far as I am concerned. Dol Guldur wasn't even a battle (Lights on nobody at home). Regardless of all of the wonderful things that are attributed to Glorfindel he does not exist in The Hobbit and I see no reason for dragging him in. There are those who have expressed their desire to have the Blue Wizards show up at the Council of the Wise. I am opposed to this as well. I just want The Hobbit.

Photobucket

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 10:40pm

Post #24 of 25 (268 views)
Shortcut
I love the speculation and debate about what PJ should do in TH but [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect he will--in fact, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't-- pleasantly surprise me by going against my advice in a few areas and making me glad he did.

Growth is less a matter of change than of ripening, and what alters most is the clarity with which we see one another-Edith Pargeter

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 13 2012, 2:23am

Post #25 of 25 (1305 views)
Shortcut
I know how you feel Kangi. And you know how I feel. [In reply to] Can't Post

In my heart, I also wanted a pure Hobbit, and I hoped it would be a single three hour film. I was interested in a Bridge film, if it was done correctly and carefully. That isn't what happened. We have a Two Film Hobbit, and Dol Guldur will be in it, along with The Necromancer and The White Council.

Now Whether or not Dol Guldur was a battle. . . SOME manner of confrontation went on there. SOMEBODY was at home. Whether Sauron was amongst the welcoming comittee or had already fled is a matter of some debate, though all the lore more than indicates that he was at least in residence long enough to be counted present, though his plan for flight was already arranged. But all the accounts by those who were present leaves no doubt that a battle of some sort definitely took place, whatever the scale and scope. And Gandalf's achieved his goal of at least altering Sauron's course and preventing a direct stroke against Lothlorien and Rivendell as the opening salvos to his Great War, which was The Dark Lord's original intention.

I don't intend to debate that now, though.

What you need/want versus what I need/want is, in the end, not particularly relevant. We all have our opinions, and they all have some measure of validty.

I won't get into a long Glorfindel argument either. I will merely say that he DOES exist in THe Hobbit as much as any other Elf who may be present in Rivendell (and more so than some), and that if any Elf aside from Elrond himself, and Galadriel (and possibly Cirdan) in the context of The White Council, deserves honourable mention and a nod of acknowledgement, then it is definitely Glorfindel, certainly more so than Lindir, or Haldir, or Figwit or even uhh. . . what's her name? Oh yes, the mighty, incomparable, never heard of before in Tolkiendom, Tauriel. You may argue on past those facts if you wish, but it's not an argument that will ever move me as much as a nanometer. Just saying.

In Reply To
I just want The Hobbit. I do not need it loaded up with a bunch of Silmarillion (or for that matter LotR) references. The White Council/Council of the Wise is just an aside as far as I am concerned. Dol Guldur wasn't even a battle (Lights on nobody at home). Regardless of all of the wonderful things that are attributed to Glorfindel he does not exist in The Hobbit and I see no reason for dragging him in. There are those who have expressed their desire to have the Blue Wizards show up at the Council of the Wise. I am opposed to this as well. I just want The Hobbit.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Feb 13 2012, 2:25am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.