Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day- At Bilbo's Party

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Feb 2 2012, 1:19am

Post #1 of 15 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day- At Bilbo's Party Can't Post

Hello! I hope everyone's week is going well so far.

Here's Frodo at Bilbo's party before inheriting the Ring.

1.) I really love this scene in FotR. It really illustrates the innate peacefulness of the hobbits. Were you pleased with the portrayal and appearance of the hobbits?
2.) I loved Elijah Wood as Frodo. Physically, he may not have been exactly how I envisioned Frodo looking (age-wise anyway) but his acting makes up for that. Did you like Elijah as Frodo?
3.) Howard Shore's score throughout all the films were amazing in my opinion. What do you think about the score during these Hobbtion sequences?
4.) Any other thoughts are always welcome!

.Ithilwen.

Ah! like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
Long years numberless as the wings of trees!
The long years have passed like swift draughts
Of the sweet mead in lofty halls
Beyond the West, beneath the blue vaults of Varda
Wherein the stars tremble
In the voice of her song, holy and queenly...

-Namárië

fellowship

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 2 2012, 5:40am

Post #2 of 15 (378 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Shire scenes were the best in the trilogy, IMO. Though the "hobbit revelry" at the party was a tad Ren Fairesque. A little too "twee" so to speak.

2. I did not enjoy Elijah's Frodo. The more mature Frodo of the book, who had a dry sense of humor, was conspicuously absent. But that's the script-writers' fault, not his.

3. I liked Shore's score, but found it was often unnecessarily intrusive. "Emotional" scenes were too often sugar-coated with added "emotional" music, which gave a heavy-handed impression. My guess is that PJ wanted it that way.

4. I like Hobbiton.

Athena
The Shire

Feb 2 2012, 1:31pm

Post #3 of 15 (374 views)
Shortcut
Great catch of Frodo before his ordeal [In reply to] Can't Post

Wide-eyed joy. The one comment almost all my friends had after they saw the film was about how his eyes caused their protective emotions to rise.

I enjoyed the music in this scene. Would have like to try a slice of the cake!

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 2 2012, 4:04pm

Post #4 of 15 (369 views)
Shortcut
Happy happy joy joy [In reply to] Can't Post

1-I loved the party scenes, really want to join the dancing(and eating)every time I watch.
2-My thought also was how good it was to see Frodo taking joy in life considering the suffering and loss that lies ahead of him. I also think the boisterous happiness he expresses here is an interesting contrast to the more peaceful joy he shows later as he's boarding the ship. Elijah catches those emotional nuances really well. I was very happy with his performance as Frodo. Like SA I have some major quibbles with some of the changes the scriptwriters made to his charactar, but he did a fantastic job acting the part he was given.
3-Very happy also with the Shire music in general--I can listen to the whole score over and over again, but like those parts the best.
4-What's on those plates behind Frodo? Is it crunchable?

Growth is less a matter of change than of ripening--and what alters most is the clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 2 2012, 4:31pm

Post #5 of 15 (353 views)
Shortcut
Get that man some pie! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) I really love this scene in FotR. It really illustrates the innate peacefulness of the hobbits. Were you pleased with the portrayal and appearance of the hobbits?

Yes. Of course it also illustrates the less aristocratic, more democratic society of the movie-hobbits. No separate tent for the upper class. Thus movie-Frodo and movie-Sam are not so much master/servant as buddy-buddies. That will of necessity change a lot of the dynamics for characters and story. Ironically a lot of big changes people hated were caused by little changes that those same people loved.

2.) I loved Elijah Wood as Frodo. Physically, he may not have been exactly how I envisioned Frodo looking (age-wise anyway) but his acting makes up for that. Did you like Elijah as Frodo?

Yes. It was indeed amazing to have someone so innocent looking that you knew as going to be slowly tortured and corrupted over the next three movies.

3.) Howard Shore's score throughout all the films were amazing in my opinion. What do you think about the score during these Hobbtion sequences?

I especially like that, if I remember correctly, originally the party music was merely filler for the extras to dance to, and it was planned that Shore would later compose and conduct the actual music for the scene. But both Shore and Jackson thought the original music was good as it was. It kind of illustrates the sublime serendipity that suffused the production, from Mortensen being Jackson’s sixth choice, to various locations that were chosen because the scouting helicopter just happened to fly over them on its way somewhere else, to Robert Shaye going “Two movies? But aren’t there three books?”

Pie would have really helped Wood get into shape for the role.

From IMDB trivia:

"A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior."

*Darkstone bangs head against wall*

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Feb 2 2012, 11:27pm

Post #6 of 15 (342 views)
Shortcut
So, there I was... [In reply to] Can't Post

The part of this scene that makes me smile every time is Bilbo telling the troll story to the hobbit children. That really sells his character for me.

Yes, although I don't think I can put him in my top 5 performances of LOTR.

See Darkstone's story about this. The music at the party fit in nicely, and I think it was important for it to be sourced from some place other than Shore's mind. If it had seemed like part of the score, it would have been a distraction from the scene.

I like to think of this scene as the starting point for the hobbit characters, in the way each one changes over the course of the saga. This is almost the last care-free moment for Frodo, as compared to Merry and Pippen, who are still a bit on the care-free side even as late as the opening of ROTK, although that begins to change by the finding of the Palantir.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 3 2012, 8:52am

Post #7 of 15 (351 views)
Shortcut
How about shepherd's pie? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Sean Astin saying in an interview that that's what PJ kept encouraging him to eat more of, while he was piling on the pounds!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 3 2012, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 15 (299 views)
Shortcut
There she is! [In reply to] Can't Post

(welcome back)

I've heard of actors using pancakes and peanut butter sandwiches to great effect.

I wonder if shepherd's pie is a New Zealand thing, given the amount of actual sheep herding that goes on there?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 3 2012, 6:59pm

Post #9 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
Party like it's 2999! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. I'm thinking of a similar, though not nearly as festive, scene from Willow. The aesthetic between the two is quite different. It is interesting that even this early in the film we (the audience, for the most part) have already accepted that what we are seeing is a gathering of halflings... or maybe it was my imagination.

Can't imagine anyone else in the role. The first time I saw him I thought, "wow, does that guy look like Frodo or what." However, this particular screen cap does not read as such for me. Perhaps they caught him at an awkward moment.

The instrumentation and arrangements were a near perfect match to this scene and many others, imho.

Thank you for stepping up this week Ithilwen. May many follow your lead!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 3 2012, 8:45pm

Post #10 of 15 (311 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how to tell you this, Ithilwen [In reply to] Can't Post

But you've got an evil ring on your bouquet...

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 3 2012, 10:52pm

Post #11 of 15 (333 views)
Shortcut
The Party [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that they captured the festive atmosphere, and we got a good idea of the somewhat carefree life of the hobbits, far from the countries that were on the front line of holinng off Sauron. Again, it's an adaptation, so there are some things I missed about the party scene, but the strong performance of Ian Holm and the fun that the extras radiated as the hobbits was very enjoyable.

Like many book lovers, at first I had a hard time with the Elijah Wood Frodo, that was quite different from my idea of this character. However, Elijah Wood has a quality about his look that's hard to beat: An innate innocence, but still quite intelligent. That they made him younger than the books was obviously to connect with an audience better. He's also a complex character; and I thought he went through a pretty good arc on screen. He was very likeable, overall, and you really have to like and sympathize with him or the whole movie is dross.

Perfect. Shore's music in Hobbiton was as much a part of the storytelling as the script.

These scenes are really special because they really capture something that we as a planet have lost forever: Life balance.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2012, 3:19am

Post #12 of 15 (327 views)
Shortcut
"Have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?" "No...well, yes, but that's beside the point." [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Shelob's Appetite's point about it being a bit twee, but I still enjoyed it. I loved Frodo's little dance and the encouragement he gives Sam to dance with Rose Cotton. I especially liked the extra bits, like the exchange in my title, in the EE.

I was never really bothered by Elijah's age. Right or wrong, I just figured that Frodo, at least in the beginning, is 33, hobbit coming-of-age, which would be roughly equivalent to a human of 18 or 21. In the book 17 years pass between this scene and when Frodo leaves Hobbiton, but he is in possession of the ring which extends life, so he wouldn't have aged much. But of course, they do away with that passage of time in the film, so Frodo is still 33 - very much a young adult - when he sets out on his adventure. Yes, in the book Frodo seems a bit more middle-aged even if he doesn't look that old, but film Frodo as portrayed by Wood, though he doesn't seem middle-aged, has a maturity and gravitas that belie his very youthful and innocent appearance.

3.) Howard Shore's score throughout all the films were amazing in my opinion. What do you think about the score during these Hobbiton sequences?

This music never fails to make me smile.

Thanks, IthilwenSmile

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 5 2012, 2:33pm

Post #13 of 15 (261 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome back, SirD! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Alientraveller
Lorien

Feb 7 2012, 4:29pm

Post #14 of 15 (222 views)
Shortcut
I remember this image being used [In reply to] Can't Post

for fan art juxtaposing Frodo at Mount Doom. It was heartbreaking to say the least.

1. The Party is such a joyful sequence. I'm amazed people who didn't like LOTR weren't falling in love with Middle-earth during these scenes. You have more reason to care for the Hobbits, their peace and happiness, than most films do when placing civilians under threat.
2. Well as a movie firster, I can't imagine anyone else as Frodo. I recall one reviewer saying he had the features of a William Blake angel. Comments like those stay with you.
3. It wasn't Shore who composed these scenes, it was Plan 9. It worked so well though, no wonder they kept it.

"Sure, it's not really The Lord of the Rings, but it could still be a pretty damn cool movie." - PJ

telain
Rohan

Feb 7 2012, 4:37pm

Post #15 of 15 (714 views)
Shortcut
repeating some of Darkstone's post [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes -- and to add to Darkstone's comment for this question, I would say that is one reality of adapting a work to a different time and place -- modern audiences might not have taken too well to the distinct class differences present in Tolkien's original (surely many would not have been able to relate to it.) It is similar to the shift seen from Tolkien's to Jackson's Aragorn. If this version of the Hobbits helps people understand the sort of "underlying essence" of the Hobbits, then, excellent! To some, however, that class distinction might have been more important and should not have been left out. It's always a gamble.

Yes..ish. I did have some reservations about his overall appearance/age. However, I also echo Darkstone's comment that Elijah presents a very innocent Frodo, and that the corruption of that innocence is therefore heightened. However, I also agree that some of the "dry wit" is missing and that perhaps left film-Frodo with a somewhat less complex character.

No complaints -- the music during the dance sequence fit fairly well with my imagining.

well done, .Ithilwen. and thank you!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.