Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Battle for Middle Earth or Lord of the Rings Online

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Jan 14 2012, 1:27am

Post #1 of 9 (6258 views)
Shortcut
Battle for Middle Earth or Lord of the Rings Online Can't Post

What video game do you think is better?

Macfeast
Rohan

Jan 14 2012, 4:13am

Post #2 of 9 (462 views)
Shortcut
Depends on what you're looking for. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are both good, and I enjoyed them immensely, but they are quite different games. If you want a strategy-game with big battles and much action, go for Battle for Middle-Earth. If you want online interaction, roleplaying, and a game that allows you to explore and experience Middle-Earth freely, then Lord of the Rings Online is what you should go for.

Of course, if it's Middle-Earth you're looking for, and the genre of the game is secondary, then go for both Laugh. If I had to pick one though, I'd go for the Lord of the Rings Online; I have got many hours of fun out of that game, and three years later I'm still enjoying it. Since the Lord of the Rings Online is free-to-play up to about level 35 (of 75), with some restrictions, you could always give it a try (if you don't mind the large download, think it's something like 10 Gb?). If you don't like it, you can leave, without having sinked any money into it.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jan 14 2012, 4:21am)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2012, 5:41am

Post #3 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut
for me, BFME(2) because [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never played LOTRO but from my understanding, it seems like a MMORPG like LOTRO would be too time-consuming for me. Or, i'd get too absorbed, obsessed and addicted to it (which for some would be a good thing, but not what I would look for in a game).

but with BFME, it could be enjoyed one battle at a time, which needn't occupy more than an hour and a half or so at a time. Actually I can only speak re: BFME2, having never played BFME1.

if I had all the time in the world, I'd probably play LOTRO at least just to try it.

Had a dream, declared my son being woken,
Heard a voice: Seek for the sword that was broken,
There shall be counsels taken
Of the Doom near at hand,

In Imladris there it dwells,
it had spoken,
You’ll be shown stronger than spells there a token,
For Isildur’s Bane shall awaken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand!

Carry on my wayward son,
Then home please, when you are done.
When you’re here, you’ll head the rest
Who defy Mordor.

ThorinII
The Shire

Jan 28 2012, 4:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (223 views)
Shortcut
BFME2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoy RTS games and BFME2 happens to be one of my favorite games.

"Nothing stands taller than the might of the Dwarves"

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2012, 4:37pm

Post #5 of 9 (251 views)
Shortcut
mine too [In reply to] Can't Post

Bfme2 is the only rts i know, so I can't say I'm a connoisseur of RTS games but BFME2 is one of my fave games generally. I like the spoken lines, like the one in your signature. The Dwarves are a great faction, altho it took a while for me to get used to playing them.

Which faction is your fave? I like playing light side generally bc of the healing structures available. My fave generally is Elves bc of he eagles. And bc of the "silverthorne" upgrade (tho that term is silly. If they really can't find a proper Tolkien-created term for magic arrows, they could at least spell "thorn" right!) But i like men and dwarves too. The dark side factions can be fun they don't have a structure that heals lile the lightside factions.

What tactics do you like using in particular in bfme2? One thing i like doing is putting upgraded archers in battle towers.

it had spoken,

Carry on my wayward son,
Who defy Mordor.

ThorinII
The Shire

Jan 28 2012, 10:55pm

Post #6 of 9 (272 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite faction is the Dwarves. They have strong infantry despite their lack of speed and with the combination of catapults they can destroy efficiently any structure. My favorite upgrade is the Mithril coats because the upgraded units can withstand several blows. The Elves are excellent for swift and long range attacks because they have the best archers in the game (especially the Mirkwood archers) so they can be deadly offensively, but they aren't so good defensively. The Men of the West have exceptional cavalry(Rohan, Gondor Knights). The healing problem for the evil factions make them less appealing but I usually take the Goblins because they have cheap units so you have the opportunity to attack continuously.

"Nothing stands taller than the might of the Dwarves"

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Jan 31 2012, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 9 (203 views)
Shortcut
Isengard and Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite faction is either Isengard or Dwarves because they are both cool. If I were to pick one it would be Dwarves because it is my favorite race of Middle Earth.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2012, 11:04pm

Post #8 of 9 (3656 views)
Shortcut
quelle surprise! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Reply to ThorinII and thorinoakenshield,

Color me shocked, shocked! that players of bfme2 whose chosen nicknames as yours would pick Dwarves as fave faction/race inMiddle Earth ;-)

Dwarves as a faction do rock though. Altho i tend to favor Elves, one thing Dwarves have that Elves don't is the Insta-Citadel power. I love putting a Citadel in the middle of the map and loading it full of flaming-arrow Men of Dale. I like the axe throwers too.

Isengard or any dark faction can be fun to play, as long as I put aside my gripe about the lack of a healing structure. I like Mordor sometimes but i don't like not being able to put archers in towers. But the fell beasts and flying witchking make up for that.

it had spoken,

Carry on my wayward son,
Who defy Mordor.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 4:50pm

Post #9 of 9 (42 views)
Shortcut
battle for middle earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.