Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Could you live without your mobile phone?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Could you live without your mobile phone?
Yes (it drives me insane!) 16 / 36%
Yes (never had one) 12 / 27%
No 16 / 36%
44 total votes

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2012, 4:51am

Post #26 of 37 (518 views)
Shortcut
Not anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

I often used to let the battery run down, or forget to charge it, or forget to turn it on.
Now that I live in what we might politely call a 'seismically active area' I take my phone everywhere I go, it is always fully charged and pre-paid, and I never turn it off.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2012, 12:17pm

Post #27 of 37 (422 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

I use it for:

1. Calling family and friends
2. Texting family and friends
3. Checking emails (both personal and work)
4. Checking the TORn boards
5. Listening to my personal selection of music (all music from the LOTR Complete Recordings, the OSTs, the Rarities Archives, the ripped end credit suites, the ripped extended edition DVD movie audio tracks are on there)
6. Listening to the radio
7. Playing games (this is mostly when I'm travelling, or not getting sleep at night :P)

So yeah, I'm quite dependent on it for something or the other. I almost never switch it off... there's a reason they invented silent/vibrate mode Sly

Same goes for Gmail and Facebook. I keep in touch with a lot of family and friends from overseas, and I can't imagine what I would've done without, nor how I once lived without!

(This post was edited by Earl on Jan 20 2012, 12:21pm)

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 20 2012, 6:40pm

Post #28 of 37 (360 views)
Shortcut
I just got the iPhone4s [In reply to] Can't Post

a few weeks ago & have been having fun with it but nothing beats my iPad that I got in June of last year. I just love my iPad!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2012, 5:31am

Post #29 of 37 (296 views)
Shortcut
iPhone, iPad, they all look fun!...and educational :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2012, 11:45am

Post #30 of 37 (361 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's annoying to be so dependant on it (I feel naked without it) [In reply to] Can't Post

There was life before mobile phones and internet. Surely we'd learn to live without them after some learning.

Hah, I was just reading a book about biologist stydying African Painted Dogs. They were observing the pack 24/7, with one person observig it for some 6 hours until the replacement came to release him. The pack was often on the move, and they described the difficulties they had trying to locate the pack and the person following it. I was baffled why they didn't just phone the guy... then I remembered they didn't have such luxury in the 70s. Blush And even yet they made a fine study.

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 30 2012, 2:09pm

Post #31 of 37 (269 views)
Shortcut
I could live without [In reply to] Can't Post

my phone or iPad but would miss the phone and really miss the iPad. I just love my iPad! I use it for so many things - research, reading books and magazines, music, videos, games. I considered whether to buy one for about a year and am totally pleased that I decided to get one.

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 30 2012, 2:12pm

Post #32 of 37 (256 views)
Shortcut
I refuse to become [In reply to] Can't Post

one of those people who's constantly messing with their phones. My daughter is like that & now her eight year old daughter is obsessed with cell phones-so sad, IMHO.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 2 2012, 10:48pm

Post #33 of 37 (221 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even know the phone number on my ~ what did you call it? ~ 'mobile' phone.

I guess that answers the question, huh? Cool

PattyJB
Rivendell

Feb 10 2012, 12:10am

Post #34 of 37 (217 views)
Shortcut
Sticker on my cell phone [In reply to] Can't Post

I have had one for emergencies for several years. I rarely use it and rarely even have it on, but it has proved useful when I needed it. However, I CANNOT learn the number, so I finally just put a tiny sticker on it, with the last four digits of its number. All the cells had the same area code and exchange numbers around here when I got mine and one for my son, so I just had to write down the last four. Evil

Marionette
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 1:44am

Post #35 of 37 (193 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my first cell phone at 24.
Before that I was like "I donīt need a cell phone"!!.

I canīt go out now without cell phone.

Then I had my BlackBerry
Before that I siriusly said I DONĻT NEED A BLACK BERRY, why such useless technology? I already have a cell phone and internet in my compu.

Now I canīt live each time my Black Berry doesnīt have internet service.

XD

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 14 2012, 11:45am

Post #36 of 37 (200 views)
Shortcut
well I only got a mobile on friday... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so I guess the answers yes!

(well technically its my third but the other two were faulty and had to be sent back)

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 14 2012, 3:43pm

Post #37 of 37 (1796 views)
Shortcut
I had to manage without electricity for two and a half days [In reply to] Can't Post

during our recent ice storm, and I was REALLY thankful for my cell phone. The one time I almost can't get along without it would be those emergency situations.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.