Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The Necromancer at the Battle of Five Armies...huh?
Poll: The Necromancer at the Battle of Five Armies...huh?
NO, no no no, I do NOT want the Necromancer/Sauron at the BoFA! 42 / 74%
I'm boycotting the movie anyway. I HATE PJ 1 / 2%
Let's see how it goes. PJ's never failed before... 10 / 18%
Great idea! 1 / 2%
Meh. 3 / 5%
57 total votes

Tinuviel_88
The Shire

Jan 9 2012, 9:34am

Post #1 of 6 (3819 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer at the Battle of Five Armies...huh? Can't Post

here's the story http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jan/06/the-hobbit-peter-jackson-ending?newsfeed=true
what do you think?

I really DON'T want him there, despite Benedict Cumberbatch being amazing and despite the fact that I love Jackson's adaptions.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jan 9 2012, 11:01am

Post #2 of 6 (203 views)
Shortcut
I'm interested to see how it plays out [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I'm not sure he'll actually be turning up at the Bo5A. When I read the quote below, I did not take it to mean he would be showing up. When he talks about a "character in the Five Legions War or something which I'm meant to understand", to me he just sounds like someone who isn't 100% down with the details - i.e. he could simply be getting his wires crossed. When he talks about the Necromancer not being in "the original Hobbit", he's just talking about the fact that the whole Necromancer plot has been lifted from the LotR appendices. So yeah, I wouldn't fret too much yet, I wouldn't take this quote as conformation that the Necromancer will rock up to the Bo5A.

"I'm playing Smaug through motion-capture and voicing the Necromancer, which is a character in the Five Legions War or something which I'm meant to understand," Cumberbatch told Empire. "He's not actually in the original Hobbit. It's something [Peter Jackson]'s taken from Lord of the Rings that he wants to put in there."

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jan 16 2012, 11:09pm

Post #3 of 6 (155 views)
Shortcut
wow, that's almost as bad as [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep. Sauron coming out in full armor at the Black Gates and fighting the armies of the west. Both scenes, thankfully, got cut out of the movie in the planning stages.
Hopefully, the necromancer fighting in the battle of the 5 armies will be an idea cut as well. The battle is fine as written!
I've just finished the Hobbit and I could just picture the elves and men about to go to war against the dwarves (after a very emotional verbal attack on Bilbo by Thorin), then the goblins and wargs attacking, the dwarves and elves and men deciding to fight together, Thorin leading a dramatic charge from the mountain, the eagles arriving. I think the scenes will be amazing.
Why add Sauron? To make it more like the battle at the black gate? I guess the nine riders will be next? Trolls, perhaps? Ugh!

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jan 17 2012, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 6 (197 views)
Shortcut
I really don't see this happening. [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly don't think PJ would make the mistake of having Sauron at BoFA. It just wouldn't make sense.

I'm not worried. Cumberbatch didn't really seem to know what he was talking about anyways.

elentari3018
Lorien

Jan 20 2012, 3:35am

Post #5 of 6 (206 views)
Shortcut
That is a bit over the top... [In reply to] Can't Post

and i hope that PJ doesn't make too many deviations like that.
I do wonder how the additional appendix/ Unfinished Tales chronological material plays out.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 2 2012, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 6 (2548 views)
Shortcut
How The Heck Does.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Necromancer have a body in The Hobbit when PJ has him as a Lighthouse in TLOR 'seventeen' years later? Crazy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.