Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Where did the Films IMPROVE ON the telling of the LOTR?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 21 2012, 7:26pm

Post #101 of 105 (672 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I missed the 'if' in the previous post. [In reply to] Can't Post

And, yes, I imagine that there are a fair number of persons who've seen the LotR films and never read the books, just as there are many folks who have seen MGM's The Wizard of Oz, but have never read L. Frank Baum.

Someone who has experience both the original and the adaptation could very well have an amalgamated version consisting of elements of both works existing inside his/her brain, but that universe exists strictly for that individual only.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Jan 22 2012, 12:50am

Post #102 of 105 (625 views)
Shortcut
observation [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-semai wrote: Someone who has experience both the original and the adaptation could very well have an amalgamated version consisting of elements of both works existing inside his/her brain, but that universe exists strictly for that individual only.

Based on the improvements to the story fans have identified and posted to this thread, that universe appears to exist with more than one individual.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 22 2012, 3:45am

Post #103 of 105 (596 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say that each such person has his/her own private version of the story that is unique to each individual, although many have elements in common.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Jan 22 2012, 4:41am

Post #104 of 105 (608 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-semai wrote: I would say that each such person has his/her own private version of the story that is unique to each individual, although many have elements in common.

I thought that was self evident.

If this board proves anything, Tolkien fans aren't going to be in complete unison on anything. Sly

WrathOfCaradhras
The Shire

Feb 1 2012, 4:14am

Post #105 of 105 (995 views)
Shortcut
Wow. This thread strayed pretty far from where it started. [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading every post in this thread (which took a long time), I am reminded of a quote from Peter Jackson from the 20 questions interview he did at the start of the filming of The Lord of the Rings. " Sure, it's not really THE LORD OF THE RINGS ... but it could still be a pretty dang cool movie." I think that is a pretty good way to put it. It would be nearly impossible to create a film or series of films that completely replicates the story as it is presented in book form, but the story that did get presented IMO was pretty dang cool.

Now as for the actual topic of the thread, I interpreted the question to be more along the lines of "what did you like better in the movies than in the book?" By saying I or anyone else think that something improved the other thing it is only our personal opinion and clearly everyone has a right to their own opinion on whether or not they agree. I think it is easier, and much less argument inducing, to say what I liked better or enjoyed more in the film version of the story than in the book.

1. The interweaving of the story: I like having Frodo and Sam's journey interwoven with the rest of the Fellowship. It would have been kind of frustrating to sit through half of a movie and not have Frodo appear yet. The way it is written works fine in the books, but I think it would have been odd on screen.

2. The Breaking of the Fellowship: I feel like this was a good way to end the first film. I really enjoyed Boromir's death scene (not the fact that he died) and it set the stage for how the next film would open.

3. Elves at Helm's Deep: I know I will always be in the minority on this, but I liked seeing the Elves come to the aid of the men of Rohan even if it didn't actually happen in the books. I think their arrival worked in the context of the movie. Since we don't get to see the battles that the Elves fought against Sauron in Lorien and Mirkwood, I liked seeing them take up arms against the enemy. I interpreted their coming as a sort of homage to the Grey Company from the books and to show that they were willing to risk their immortality if it meant the defeat of evil. I am very glad that they decided to remove Arwen from the host of the Eldar.

4. Theoden's speech: The ride of the Rohirrim might be my favorite scene from the whole trilogy. Theoden's speech gives me chills every time that I watch it. IMO giving Theoden some of Eomer's "Death!" lines from later in the book worked just as well with Theoden as they would have if Eomer had uttered them later.

5. Merry at the Black Gate: I loved seeing the two hobbits being the first ones to charge after Aragorn says "For Frodo!" For a non-book reader, it probably would have seemed odd for him not to be there since his all of his friends are and he didn't appear to be gravely wounded like Faramir. It would also have required a bit more explaining about the effect of the Nazgul and all that.

Those a few of the things that came to my head. Clearly it is just stuff that I liked, so please don't take offense to it. There is plenty of stuff that I like better about the book, but it is still possible to have parts that you can like more in the films.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.