Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Anyone get the license plate of that reindeer?" - The weekly reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 1:20am

Post #26 of 31 (46 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds credible, given the other stories of atrocities perpetrated during those times in the Far East. The cover says it is a dramatic novel of the Japanese reign of terror in Malaya. The author is Chin Kee Onn and it was published in 1952, so I assume hehad considerable knowledge.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 5 2012, 3:46am

Post #27 of 31 (66 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to mention I finished 11/22/63. Two thumbs up!. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was such a lovely, perfect, bittersweet ending. The book seemed a little long, and maybe could have used some editing, but I still loved it. I raced through the suspenseful part as the clock ticked down to the fatal date. But the suspense and the action and the alternate history weren't really what the book was about, I think. It was mostly a love story. King said in his afterward that it originally had a different ending, but his son had suggested the one he used, and he thought it was much better. I don't know what the original one was, but this one was perfect. If they ever make this into a movie, and I hope they do, I know I'll bawl at the end. And surprisingly, if they follow the book, it will be as much a chick flick as a suspense story. I was reminded a little of Fried Green Tomatoes, not in the plot, but in the feel. Fannie Flagg meets, well, Stephen King.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 5 2012, 3:46am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 5 2012, 2:19pm

Post #28 of 31 (46 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading "The Devil in Massachusetts" several years ago, an excellent book on the Salem witch hysteria. One got the feeling reading it that the devil really was loose in the town, but was not acting through the accused witches, but quite the contrary. I also read a while back an article saying that the witch hysteria outbreaks in Europe coincided with outbreaks of wheat ergot poisoning. Hmmmm. I read a book about that too once, years and years ago in high school, but I can't remember the title. [Went and looked it up: it was "The Day of Saint Anthony's Fire". Also excellent.]

I've mentioned a few times on the boards my interest in Nathan Hale. His great-grandfather, John Hale, was one of the judges, I think, in the Salem outbreak, until his wife was accused. And Nathan's great-nephew, Edward Everett Hale, was a great Unitarian minister. It strikes me as interesting in that one family the progress of rationality.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2012, 4:46pm

Post #29 of 31 (56 views)
Shortcut
Was he [In reply to] Can't Post

hung, or was he the male who was "pressed to death"?

Two of my hubby's distant aunts from his Towne family line were hung in Salem. It's generally believed that the Putnam family took advantage of the hysteria in order to acquire their land. Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 5 2012, 5:30pm

Post #30 of 31 (60 views)
Shortcut
hung [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" is one of my favorite plays of all time. I would be very proud if I was descended from the man who said "more weight."

Oddly I have a great fear of not being able to take a breath. Hmm.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Nightingale
Rohan

Jan 8 2012, 6:03pm

Post #31 of 31 (41 views)
Shortcut
I really should try that [In reply to] Can't Post

I have got Book 1 on Kindle, but never found the steam to get past the first few pages. Perhaps when I am no longer studying.
My 'no longer studying' reading list is getting longer, especially as I want to go back and re-read Wheel of Time from Book 3. (So I remember what happens and can finally finish Laugh).

I am really enjoying 'Temeraire' at the moment. Didn't think I would, but have read most of the first book today - no spoilers please! It's great knowing I have 5 more waiting. Smile

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.