Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are they going to make riddles in the dark VERY long?

Mybear
Bree

Dec 24 2011, 2:04pm

Post #1 of 18 (879 views)
Shortcut
Are they going to make riddles in the dark VERY long? Can't Post

I think they will make it very long, after all, it is the last time we get to see gollum. My guess is that it will be the better part of 20 minutes. Wink

What do you think?

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Dec 24 2011, 2:40pm

Post #2 of 18 (538 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that part in the book, but I hope they overdo it. Then again it's GOLLUM!!! lol.
I dunno, I'll probably love it nonetheless! Sly Just wanna hear Gollum and riddles haha

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life."

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2011, 2:50pm

Post #3 of 18 (541 views)
Shortcut
20 minutes is a long, long time [In reply to] Can't Post

It's better to leave the audience hoping for more than have them muttering "Get on with the story".

So they rather should make it memoriable because of its quality, not because of its quantity.

Can't wait to see it!

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Dec 24 2011, 2:51pm)

Zherkezhi
Bree

Dec 24 2011, 2:55pm

Post #4 of 18 (506 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that it'll be intercut with other scenes (just think of the way the Entmoot was intercut with scenes of the battle of Helm's Deep).

I can imagine that scenes of Bilbo finding THE ONE RING will be intercut with scenes of Gandalf unmasking Sauron's misdeeds in Mirkwood/Dol Guldur and their repercussion on Middle-earth (of course there are certain problems concerning the time line...)

(This post was edited by Zherkezhi on Dec 24 2011, 2:56pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2011, 3:09pm

Post #5 of 18 (503 views)
Shortcut
20 minutes is way too long. [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine it will be 10 minutes or shorter.

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 24 2011, 3:09pm)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 3:23pm

Post #6 of 18 (489 views)
Shortcut
Not long, but accurate [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will be the most faithful retelling from the book, as far as the dialogue is concerned.

Tookish Hobbit Girl
The Shire

Dec 24 2011, 3:42pm

Post #7 of 18 (464 views)
Shortcut
I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I think so, after all isn't that like one of the most major parts in the book? I definitely hope they give it its fair share of screen time. That is one of my favorite parts! Smile

(This post was edited by Tookish Hobbit Girl on Dec 24 2011, 3:43pm)

irodino
Bree

Dec 24 2011, 4:14pm

Post #8 of 18 (443 views)
Shortcut
few minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

Under 10 minutes, probably for the whole Gollum encounter, not just riddles. There will also be many cuts to other threads, and most likely the pace of the scene will be greatly enhanced, especially if it's really near the end of the movie. My guess is Bilbo will be trying to avoid Gollum who will stalk him and try to catch him, while the riddles are used as means to locate each other in the dark cave via voice, or something in this style. A 20 minute static scene in a dark cave about riddles that everyone has already memorized, just doesn't fit into a movie, and certainly kills the pace near the end. It is also likely Bilbo will fight with Gollum over the Ring, mirroring Frodo at the Cracks of Doom.

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 4:27pm

Post #9 of 18 (434 views)
Shortcut
this would be nice [In reply to] Can't Post

20 minutes would definitely be a get on with it moment.

Inter-cutting with other scenes (perhaps of other characters in peril) might be a great way to pull this off with a lot of impact. It would probably add a bit more tension to intercut as well.

One thing I realized in rereading is that this is the scene where Bilbo's smarts and courage really begin to blossom. The riddles help him when he deals with Smaug later on.

I do not like Gollum, but I understand the characters' importance and I understand the need for this scene.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Gorbag
Rivendell

Dec 24 2011, 4:53pm

Post #10 of 18 (407 views)
Shortcut
I hope its long! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that part of the book, so im kinda hoping they devote a good section to it. Id love for them to do a few riddles at least!

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Delrond
Rohan

Dec 25 2011, 1:30am

Post #11 of 18 (322 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

matter to me how long the scene is (within reason). As long as the stakes of the game are understood by the audience and we can feel Bilbo's terror as he is being chased by Gollum afterwards. If it only takes 5 minutes to set this up, fine by me. I guess it depends if they use all the riddles and the time it takes to capture Gollum's intentions in this scene.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2011, 2:49am

Post #12 of 18 (314 views)
Shortcut
not that long [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope... 10 to 15 minutes tops would be plenty. someone in another post said that Andy Sirkis filmed all his scenes in a week, I just hope they are not gonna include scenes of Gollum leaving the misty mountain in search of the ring. if they put that in the Hobbit movies it would be almost a decade too early (7 years) I don't need anything more from Gollum other than riddles in the dark

esheming
Bree

Dec 25 2011, 5:38am

Post #13 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
I think that it will be fairly quick... [In reply to] Can't Post

fast paced and tense. Some times less is more.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Dec 25 2011, 6:25am

Post #14 of 18 (299 views)
Shortcut
fighting over the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing is (and I'm not sure if this is movie canon, or just book canon) is that Bilbo resisted the evil of the ring because he pitied Gollum, didn't kill him, but leapt over him in the dark.

I would prefer if they didn't have a physical scuffle, but Gollum does get close and menacing in the book.

Besides, it wouldn't be a fair fight, because Bilbo has sting.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Dec 26 2011, 1:27am

Post #15 of 18 (277 views)
Shortcut
Im going with a scene divided in parts [In reply to] Can't Post

As biblbo didnt tell all the truth to his companions at first, I imagine the scene will be developed through the last half or third part of the movie, so they can unreveal slowly the darkness hidden behind that encounter.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Dec 27 2011, 1:22am

Post #16 of 18 (221 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure it will be [In reply to] Can't Post

.....50 minutes long or longer with long, tension-filled pauses before each answer.

Samuel Walters
Bree

Dec 28 2011, 10:58pm

Post #17 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that it'll be intercut with other scenes (just think of the way the Entmoot was intercut with scenes of the battle of Helm's Deep).

I can imagine that scenes of Bilbo finding THE ONE RING will be intercut with scenes of Gandalf unmasking Sauron's misdeeds in Mirkwood/Dol Guldur and their repercussion on Middle-earth (of course there are certain problems concerning the time line...)

As you mention, there are significant problems with the timeline. While Bilbo is riddling with Gollum, the dwarves and Gandalf are busy escaping from the goblins. Gandalf won't leave the company until much later.

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2011, 11:55pm

Post #18 of 18 (193 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf was busy guiding the dwarfs to safety and then busy yelling at one of them for droping something(meaning Bilbo) that he had brought along

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.