The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Viggo Mortensen and The Hobbit !

Rogash
Bree

Sep 13 2007, 3:54pm

Post #1 of 23 (4577 views)
Shortcut
Viggo Mortensen and The Hobbit ! Can't Post

Since he doesn’t actually appear anywhere in the book, hardcore fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth legendarium might scoff at the notion of seeing Aragorn in a “Hobbit” film.
Not “Lord of the Rings” star Viggo Mortsensen who has at least left the door slightly ajar.
“I’m curious about it,” he told MTV News about his potential involvement in a long rumored “Hobbit” flick. “LOTR’ borrowed from other sources. There was dialogue and set pieces that came from work outside of ‘Lord of the Rings,’ or took from the appendices. You never know.”
Indeed, nearly all of Aragorn’s romance with Arwen (Liv Tyler) was drawn from Tolkien’s appendices and retroactively inserted into the Ring narrative by director Peter Jackson. A similar ploy could be used to bring Aragorn back for Bilbo’s journey (or, perhaps more appropriately, to surround and follow Bilbo’s journey), since Tolkien provided an extensive backstory for the once and future king of Middle Earth in his other writings.
Jackson himself commented on some of these potential plot lines in an interview last September with AICN, where he talked about how he’d “love to work with Viggo again [possibly by having] Aragorn protecting the Shire.”
But with all that said – and despite the fact that he’d be game – it “doesn’t seem like I would be part of [“The Hobbit”],” insisted Viggo. “Anybody that likes Tolkien or Peter Jackson’s trilogy is interested in what happens [but] I’m not really in the loop.”
According to Viggo, though, one thing’s for certain: Whether he’s in it or not, he thinks there’s only one man that could possibly bring the story to the big screen.
“It seems pretty obvious that Peter Jackson would be the person to direct it,” he said, echoing statements made by his ‘LOTR’ co-star Orlando Bloom to MTV News in May. “If they do it I hope Peter gets to do it.”
Ok hardcore fans: would you support a “Hobbit” story that had brief scenes with Aragorn? What about if it was a two-part tale, with the second movie connecting “Hobbit” to “LOTR”? Sound off below.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2007, 4:06pm

Post #2 of 23 (3437 views)
Shortcut
Could be, could be ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe it or not, Aragorn would have been living in Rivendell at the time of The Hobbit -- but he'd have only been ten years old! A little scene where Bilbo runs into a ten-year old kid named Estel while in Rivendell would be highly entertaining to fans in the know, but I don't know if that's what you're thinking of.

However, an adult Aragorn would play a big role in a "bridge" movie that links the events of The Hobbit with Lord of the Rings, and Viggo Mortensen could certainly reprise his role then.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Sep 13 2007, 4:08pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 13 2007, 4:33pm

Post #3 of 23 (3415 views)
Shortcut
Please, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping that any Hobbit movie does NOT try to tie in with the films.

It's a different story with a different flavor. It doesn't need to be like the LOTR movies.

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2007, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 23 (3410 views)
Shortcut
Paging Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

I"m hoping she sees this. She wrote a lovely story called "Chance Meeting at Rivendell" that tells us of a meeting between Bilbo and 10-year old Aragorn. I don't have the link to it but she does in her footer.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2007, 5:33pm

Post #5 of 23 (3352 views)
Shortcut
There has been talk of 2 films [In reply to] Can't Post

The first would be 'The Hobbit', and the 2nd a 'bridge' that covers what happens between 'Hobbit' and 'FotR'. There is a lot of material they could use from the Appendices in LotR as well as from 'The Sil', 'Unfinished Tales', and the History of Middle Earth books. Aragorn would definitely play a big part in the 2nd film, and I have a feeling that if PJ is doing it, and Viggo has the time, he might very well decide to reprise the role of Aragorn.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2007, 5:45pm

Post #6 of 23 (3362 views)
Shortcut
They can only take material from LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The family has not released the rughts to the SIL or HOME so they can't be brought into the movie. You're right that there's lots of material in the Appendices that can be used for a bridge movie between The Hobbit and LOTR.

I wonder which movie they would release first? I can see good and bad points either way.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 13 2007, 5:49pm

Post #7 of 23 (3418 views)
Shortcut
*ears burning* :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

(See my footer for the link) Thanks, entmaiden, for the endorsement; it means a lot :-)

BTW, here's a tip for anyone who needs to check out someone's footer: If you click on "Who's Online" above, there's a link to the member directory. Once you click on a member's nick, there's a link to view that member's posts, and from there you can go to one of their posts to see their footer. I did that when I wanted to order Kimi's book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 13 2007, 5:52pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2007, 6:11pm

Post #8 of 23 (3357 views)
Shortcut
Well, if they want to use Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

they better get a move on, before he starts looking his age.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elven
Valinor

Sep 13 2007, 6:13pm

Post #9 of 23 (3363 views)
Shortcut
Whose knows where I Ranger will suddenly pop up ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking the other day ... I know, stop laughing ... Laugh .... my LOTR collection needs a set of DVD ends ... like book ends... a film in front and a film after ... a box on the left and one on the right Laugh

I think there is plenty of room for Aragorn to be involved in some aspect of the films ... it all depends how they are structured and if the Hobbit breaks its boundaries and moves into other areas, or if the second movie spans the great divides and brings together other threads from other stories - appendices are wide and large, and if left to Peter and Frans imagination and creation, they will be do it ... and where is it that they stop at 2 movies .... these creations maybe just like Tolkiens works .. a lifes work ... and be completed in visual representaions ... who knows how technology will advance to beeter the experience and possibilities!!

There's room for Viggo ....

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2007, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 23 (3323 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless Christophen Tolkien has a sudden change of heart. Smile

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Rabittooth
Bree

Sep 13 2007, 6:53pm

Post #11 of 23 (3327 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

All this talk of Aragorn being 10 years old in a Hobbit movie has me confused.
Forgive my ignorance...just going by the PJ films here.
Bilbo was around 50 years old at the time of The Hobbit and was 111 at the time of The Fellowship.
That's about 60 years that passed.
Aragorn says he's 87 years old in the extended version of Two Towers.
Couldn't Aragorn be around 27 years old at the time of The Hobbit?

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 13 2007, 7:08pm

Post #12 of 23 (3332 views)
Shortcut
Just wanted to let you know [In reply to] Can't Post

that I'm reading your "Chance Meeting at Rivendell" right now and really enjoying it. I'm at work (slow day) and I'm about half way through. It's making me think that it's time for me to read The Hobbit again.

turimel
The Shire

Sep 13 2007, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 23 (3345 views)
Shortcut
Timeline [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo turned eleventy-one at the beginning of both the movie and book FOTR. In the movie version, Frodo left on his quest that same night. In the book, however, Frodo took something like 20 years after that to actually get up the gumption to leave the Shire.

Frodo and Bilbo have the same birthday. I believe Frodo turned 31 as Bilbo turned 111 (31 being the age of maturity for hobbits). Part of the big birthday party was Frodo becoming old enough to take over Bag End, so he could keep it away from the Sackville-Bagginses when Bilbo split to live in Rivendell. Then Frodo lived in Bag End till he was about 50, before departing for Rivendell on his own.

So The Book Hobbit takes place 80-odd years before what we think of as the beginning of the Book Fellowship, not 60-odd years. Of course, in the films, they took out 20 years, so Aragorn could be a young man/teen in Rivendell when Bilbo and the dwarves rumble in...

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 13 2007, 7:33pm

Post #14 of 23 (3319 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is 111 at his Birthday party, but 17 or 18 years pass before Frodo actually sets out with the other hobbits with the Ring.

At the end of the story, he's 131.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 13 2007, 7:39pm

Post #15 of 23 (3324 views)
Shortcut
I know, and I don't like the sound of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

If they want to make more movies about Appendix stuff, well, I can't stop them. But I don't really need to see everything in Middle-earth put on film.

And I would really like the Hobbit to be independent from the LOTR films. I'd like to see a lighterhearted, less dark movie. Especially if that means it has a younger rating so that more kids can see it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 13 2007, 7:53pm

Post #16 of 23 (3290 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank you! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a thread much like this one that prompted me to write it in the first place. I was wishing so much that there would be a Hobbit movie, and that it would contain a meeting between Bilbo and Aragorn. Not knowing if it would ever happen, I tried to satisfy that longing by writing the scene myself. And the tale grew in the telling...

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2007, 8:02pm

Post #17 of 23 (3301 views)
Shortcut
Frodo turns 33, but you're correct [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a 17-18 year gap between the Birthday Party and Frodo leaving the Shire.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2007, 8:03pm

Post #18 of 23 (3351 views)
Shortcut
From Tolkien's timeline [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn was born in March of 2931 Third Age (TA) and was called Estel, or Hope, as a child. Two years later, his father Arathorn was killed by trolls. His mother Gilraen sought shelter for herself and her son in Rivendell after Arathorn's death.

Bilbo and the Dwarves arrived in Rivendell in May, 2941 TA, during Aragorn's childhood.

The long-expected party and Bilbo's departure from the Shire occur in September, 3001 TA, 60 years after the events in The Hobbit. Aragorn is 70 at this point.

Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin flee the Shire in September, 3018 TA, 77 years after the events in The Hobbit. Aragorn is 87 at this point.

It's certainly possible that the time span between The Hobbit and LOTR could be compressed, just as PJ compressed the 17 years between Bilbo's and Frodo's departures from the Shire into a couple of months. In that case, a teenaged or adult Aragorn could show up in Rivendell. Anyhow, most of the events that would potentially be included in a "bridge" movie between the two stories would happen during Aragorn's adulthood and involve his direct participation (meeting Arwen, capturing Gollum, etc.).

I hope this sort of time compression doesn't happen, of course -- I'd like to see The Hobbit stand on its own and not be subsumed into LOTR! -- but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 13 2007, 9:33pm

Post #19 of 23 (3379 views)
Shortcut
Bring back Stuart Townsend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any Aragorn in The Hobbit or a bridge movie would have to be significantly younger than the LotR version. In LotR Aragorn was 80+, and even though he was well-preserved due to his Dunedain heritage, 60 years earlier he would have looked quite different.

Viggo might make a terrific Bard, though...

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 13 2007, 10:08pm

Post #20 of 23 (3296 views)
Shortcut
That's what I was thinking.// [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Viggo might make a terrific Bard, though...

kareniel
Lorien

Sep 13 2007, 11:16pm

Post #21 of 23 (3278 views)
Shortcut
Very nicely written, Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

Good for you! The entire Middle-earth saga offers so many characters, historical eras, and places that it's fun to go off the main literary road once in a while to view something that could have happened but that Tolkien didn't write about. Thanks for giving us another glimpse into our favorite place!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 14 2007, 1:09am

Post #22 of 23 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

High praise from an English teacher and a fellow Karen (I took a peek at your bio). :-)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2007, 9:17am

Post #23 of 23 (3252 views)
Shortcut
mods up!! Good Story... Good info :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.