Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Ladies: What is your honorific?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Ladies: What is your honorific?
Miss 10 / 26%
Ms 16 / 42%
Mrs 5 / 13%
Dr 0 / 0%
A non-English honorific (which is...?) 3 / 8%
I switch between them 4 / 11%
Other 0 / 0%
38 total votes

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2011, 7:59am

Post #26 of 27 (129 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is my face red?!Blush

From my previous post:
It seems all too often women will say they for many of the things feminists stand for, but state categorically that they aren't a feminist because the term is so misunderstood and often demonized.

Obviously I meant, "It seems all to often that women will say that they are for many of the things feminists stand for..."

And in the last line I most certainly meant their, not thereBlush

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 3 2011, 2:47am

Post #27 of 27 (186 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the enlightening poll, Ataahua... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's indeed interesting to 'hear' some of the points-of-view of the ladies here (and that's another interesting study in *femine* psychology!), and as usual the responses are well thought-out by the remarkable Ladies of TORn.
Speaking from the (albeit atypical) male point of view it's my practice to initially address anyone, male or female by the honorific I guess to be appropriate (sometimes settings can give a clue) and if I am wrong I apologise and use whatever one the lady wishes.
The discussion here has me rethinking "Miss and Mrs" because I considered them as antiquated as some of the traditions they represent. I've occasionally wondered what the general reaction would be if an honorific were invented and encouraged among men who were unmarried.
But the closes I've actually come to considering the honorific issue was in something related - last names. There has been lively discussion in many forums about whether to take a last name in marriage, to hyphenate, which order for hyphenation, or simply to keep the "maiden" name. My solution was (and remains) that a woman should not only keep her maiden name (or if this is to be implemented correctly the furthest back MOTHER'S maiden name as she can trace) and all female children should bear her last name, while male children continue the tradition of carrying their father's name. To me that puts a daughter's pride in her lineage where it belongs - with her grandmothers and lessens the idea that women are property to a marriage. But I digress.
Thank you all again for the food for thought.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.