Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Thank you for the enlightening poll, Ataahua...

Poll: Ladies: What is your honorific?
Miss
Ms
Mrs
Dr
A non-English honorific (which is...?)
I switch between them
Other
View Results (38 votes)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 3 2011, 2:47am

Views: 175
Shortcut
Thank you for the enlightening poll, Ataahua... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's indeed interesting to 'hear' some of the points-of-view of the ladies here (and that's another interesting study in *femine* psychology!), and as usual the responses are well thought-out by the remarkable Ladies of TORn.
Speaking from the (albeit atypical) male point of view it's my practice to initially address anyone, male or female by the honorific I guess to be appropriate (sometimes settings can give a clue) and if I am wrong I apologise and use whatever one the lady wishes.
The discussion here has me rethinking "Miss and Mrs" because I considered them as antiquated as some of the traditions they represent. I've occasionally wondered what the general reaction would be if an honorific were invented and encouraged among men who were unmarried.
But the closes I've actually come to considering the honorific issue was in something related - last names. There has been lively discussion in many forums about whether to take a last name in marriage, to hyphenate, which order for hyphenation, or simply to keep the "maiden" name. My solution was (and remains) that a woman should not only keep her maiden name (or if this is to be implemented correctly the furthest back MOTHER'S maiden name as she can trace) and all female children should bear her last name, while male children continue the tradition of carrying their father's name. To me that puts a daughter's pride in her lineage where it belongs - with her grandmothers and lessens the idea that women are property to a marriage. But I digress.
Thank you all again for the food for thought.

Subject User Time
Ladies: What is your honorific? Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Nov 14 2011, 8:28am
    Nearly always 'Miss' here Nightingale Send a private message to Nightingale Nov 14 2011, 3:58pm
    Ms., for a couple reasons. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Nov 14 2011, 7:53pm
        I'm with you... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Nov 15 2011, 1:34am
        Agree with your #2// sherlock Send a private message to sherlock Nov 18 2011, 3:17pm
    I'm not that particular. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 14 2011, 11:12pm
    I have been incorrectly been called Dr. a few times taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Nov 15 2011, 5:57am
    Neiti (Miss) Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 15 2011, 7:34pm
        But why do you think they are fake femininists because they don't want their marital status known? Patty Send a private message to Patty Nov 16 2011, 7:51pm
            Because they don't want ME to show MY marital status Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 17 2011, 3:14pm
                well . . . Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 19 2011, 6:07pm
                    Where did you get that from? Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 20 2011, 7:17pm
                        PS Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 20 2011, 7:26pm
                            I think I get where your frustration is coming from taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Nov 21 2011, 4:18am
                                Yes, pretty much this. // Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 21 2011, 9:09pm
                        sorry if I offended Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 22 2011, 8:48pm
                            It's okay Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 23 2011, 1:51pm
    I always liked it in Germany... HappyHobbitess Send a private message to HappyHobbitess Nov 15 2011, 10:48pm
    I'm a "Mrs." AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Nov 16 2011, 2:43pm
    usually Ms., sometimes Dr., and occasionally ElanorTX Send a private message to ElanorTX Nov 19 2011, 11:47am
        I like the Miss Firstname use ByThorinsBeard Send a private message to ByThorinsBeard Nov 19 2011, 6:57pm
        what drives me nuts Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 20 2011, 1:05am
    I'm looking forward Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 19 2011, 5:53pm
    Excellent discussion zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Nov 25 2011, 7:50am
        Oops! zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Nov 30 2011, 7:59am
    pooh to ms. Gollum the Great Nov 29 2011, 6:50pm
    Thank you for the enlightening poll, Ataahua... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Dec 3 2011, 2:47am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.