Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Thanks for the welcome arandiel, and some thoughts in progress

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2011, 8:44pm

Views: 121
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome arandiel, and some thoughts in progress [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear that the Walk has a place for such diverse activities including combat and martial training. Looking back, there doesn't seem to be much need for a separate recurrring thread for logging of combat training progress. so my original idea has turned out to be unnecessary. at best, i might be able to help by reminding ppl to log their combat training "miles" under your Walk posts, and I would be happy to help in that way.

regarding the idea of a recurring post regarding tips & info on the combat arts and weapons of Middle Earth, I'm still at the idea stage. at this point I'm thinking of it as a separate post, not more than once a month. Some ideas of mine include:

--Tips for beginners: getting your starter practice sword.

--Boromir's sword parries as taught to Merry & Pippin during FOTR (movie): observations, comparison with 19th century Italian sabre, and suggestions how he might have applied those parries using his broadsword and shield, in contrast to the way they would be applied to using the sabre.

--Eowyn's brief solo sword performance during TTT (movie): observations, suprising comparison with Chinese sword (jian) and surprising comparison with the use of Asian traditional use of forms a/k/a "kata" or "taolu" in combat training. Bonus: observations and analysis of the enveloping technique she used successfully against Aragorn.

--The twin knives of Legolas (movies): observations and comparison with Asian knife styles, discussion on basic knife grips and attack angles, contrast with European knife/dagger styles.

--The medieval longsword part 1, as model for Anduril, Glamdring and others, suggestions on how they might have been used in Tolkien's world, introducing the concept of single-time attack and defense with the longsword.

--The medieval longsword part 2: introducing the concept of half-swording and close combat with the longsword.

-- The multiple attackers scenario: principles and tactics for surviving an ambush by a band of Orcs, by yourself.

I'm open to suggestions and/or requests at this point.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Subject User Time
[Combat Training] to Rivendell? a/k/a Let Us Hunt Some Orc, a fitness challenge (reposted from the Arena) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 15 2011, 1:30am
    Well Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Oct 15 2011, 1:48am
        I beg pardon Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 15 2011, 2:29am
            Sure - all are welcome there! NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Oct 15 2011, 2:47pm
    I've cleaned up Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Oct 15 2011, 4:05am
        thanks ataahua! Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 15 2011, 2:32pm
            My post above has a few details on converting exercises NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Oct 15 2011, 3:02pm
    Please do join us on the Walk! Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Oct 18 2011, 5:19pm
        Thanks for the welcome arandiel, and some thoughts in progress Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 18 2011, 8:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.