The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien Society: UK/US

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 5 2007, 9:06pm

Post #1 of 10 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Society: UK/US Can't Post

Is the American Tolkien Society related to The Tolkien Society in some way, or is it a separate entity?

Anyone here a member (if you'd rather respond to me off list, just send me a Private Message)?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"I can manage it," said Frodo. "I must."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2007, 9:41pm

Post #2 of 10 (1460 views)
Shortcut
I think they're the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Joining one means you join the other. Mike Foster is the North American representative of the Tolkien Society and lives near Chicago in Peoria, IL.

I was a member of the Society but mu membership lapsed during my recent move. Need to renew that.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Patty
Immortal

Sep 5 2007, 11:23pm

Post #3 of 10 (1458 views)
Shortcut
I was a member many years ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I, too, let my membership lapse. But I bought myself a neat "American Tolkien Society" tee-shirt with a picture of the professor on it and a mug which I still use.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Hyarion
The Shire

Sep 6 2007, 3:25pm

Post #4 of 10 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

No they are not the same. You can find the ATS website at the below URL:
http://www.americantolkiensociety.org

The UK Tolkien Society publishes Amon Hen and Mallorn while the American Tolkien Society publishes the Minas Tirith Evening-Star.

Tolkien Gateway

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 6 2007, 3:39pm

Post #5 of 10 (1469 views)
Shortcut
As Ringo was both the oldest and youngest of the Beatles... [In reply to] Can't Post

--the oldest in age but the youngest in membership (a comparison Mike Foster might appreciate; as you will have realized, he is the North American representative of the (UK) Tolkien Society)-- so the American Tolkien Society is both older and younger than the (UK) Tolkien Society, the latter having been founded by Vera Chapman in 1969: the ATS journal, Minas Tirith Evening-Star, began publication in 1967, but the society itself didn't form until 1975. Go figure.

Older than both organizations, again depending on how you count, is the Mythopoeic Society. That group was founded in late 1967, but it absorbed the Tolkien Society of America in 1972, and the latter group was founded in 1965.

A little more information on this can be found in the entry on "Fandom" on pp. 284-288 in Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's Reader's Guide, volume II of their recent The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (where TORN gets a mention, too). And of course, at each organization's web page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discuss The Children of Húrin in the Reading Room, June 11-October 14.

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 6 2007, 8:27pm

Post #6 of 10 (1442 views)
Shortcut
OK....SO!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The American Tolkien Society is not the same as the Tolkien Society of America, which latter body no longer actually exists as a separate entity, having been absorbed into the Mythopoeic Society?

Did I get that right?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 6 2007, 9:35pm

Post #7 of 10 (1443 views)
Shortcut
"The People's Tolkien Society?!" [In reply to] Can't Post

"*$!# off! We're the Tolkien Society of the People!"

Sly

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 6 2007, 11:33pm

Post #8 of 10 (1424 views)
Shortcut
That's right. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's also a "New England Tolkien Society", which is based in Missouri.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discuss The Children of Húrin in the Reading Room, June 11-October 14.

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 6 2007, 11:37pm

Post #9 of 10 (1430 views)
Shortcut
show me [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool
OK: I was already confused, NEB. No need to make it worse.

LOL

a.s.

ps: for non-USA residents: Missouri is the "Show Me" state. But I have no idea why

"an seileachan"

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 7 2007, 11:48am

Post #10 of 10 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Splitter!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.