Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What have you been reading this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CAhobbit
Rohan

Sep 6 2007, 7:56pm

Post #26 of 35 (80 views)
Shortcut
OMG!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow, wow, wow. What an amazing book. I was determined to finish it before I go to see the movie this weekend. From what I've read of the film reviews, they've really done the book justice and it's looking to be a strong Oscar contender. It helps that one of my favourite actors, James McAvoy (the fawn in Narnia) is playing the lead role.

This is one of the most spell-binding, absorbing books I've ever read with a great storyline and superb characters. It's almost poetic in places.

Can anyone recommend any other Ian McEwan books? I've heard that Atonement is easily his best, but I'd like to try some others. I'm just worried about being disappointed.

Cheshy is back in town er...on TORn!!! *Massive Hugs* I do hope you'll stick around.

I owe you an e-mail to tell you all about Dragon Con and the debauchery that happened. Evil Ok by debauchery I mean massive amount of fun of course. Tongue

I've heard some good rumblings about the film "Atonement" (I have a feeling it won't be released in the US for a bit). I've also heard some good things about Ian McEwan as well. I must pick up one of his books someday.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Cheshire Cat
Bree

Sep 6 2007, 8:11pm

Post #27 of 35 (61 views)
Shortcut
Massive hugs back atcha my little Californian Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

And can't wait to hear about all the debauchery.. er...um... 'fun' at Dragon Con. I hope gramma wasn't embarassing herself dancing on the tables in the pub again!!! I know what she's like! Laugh

The UK reviews of the Atonement movie are sounding very, very good indeed. I'll post a report once I've been to see it at the weekend. It's ages since I've been to a film knowing that I'm just going to love it to bits. You must, must, must read the book - I can't recommend it highly enough. It's emotionally draining, but very rewarding. You'll love it CAh.

Nice to be back, though it's still feeling a little odd. I plan to stay around too if real life allows.

Cheers m'dear.

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 6 2007, 8:14pm

Post #28 of 35 (59 views)
Shortcut
I believe I've read most of his books [In reply to] Can't Post

all I can get on hold from various area libraries, anyway. Looking at his website, I think I've missed some very early ones, but have read most of the books since and including The Child in Time. So I like everything he writes. I personally liked Saturday more than Atonement.

Welcome back!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"I can manage it," said Frodo. "I must."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 6 2007, 9:21pm

Post #29 of 35 (71 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

so far the main bit of advice I'd like has to do with print layout. I'm assuming you did that all yourself. What font and page size and line spacing did you use? It looks very professional.

As far as Anne of Green Gables and the Little House books, I think it's inevitable that there would be some similarity, even if you haven't read them. A girl in the late 1800s who wanted a career would pretty much have to go into teaching, and rural teachers started very young: I think Laura in the Little House books was about fifteen, and some of her students were older than she was.

I've been peeking ahead a bit (a bad habit of mine) and I hope there's a happy ending at least by the third book, or I'm going to be bummed. But I suppose I'll have to read and find out. :-)

I've been writing 5 to 10 pages a day lately, which is about ten times my usual pace. This story I'm writing is just pouring out. The characters are Tolkien fans, which may have something to do with it. (Like yours, my latest story is a period piece, except that my period is 1969-1985 or thereabouts. I could never have written it without the Internet: every day I'm looking up things like the top ten songs of 1973 or the date of the first gay bar in Denver. )

Anyhoo, I'm going to take your book to my writers' group to show them what Lulu can do (sounds like a song title, doesn't it?) And then I'll have to start some serious editing. I expect the first book I put up will be a nonfiction one I wrote a few years ago. And I think the second one will probably be one I wrote first in high school and then rewrote twice from scratch at decades'-long intervals. It's my baby :-) So I'll probably be hounding you with questions once I get going. Thanks so much for your encouragement! And thanks for sharing your writing with the world :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2007, 9:56pm

Post #30 of 35 (56 views)
Shortcut
I'll send you a PM [In reply to] Can't Post

with some details about layout.

Thanks for taking Amy along to meet your reading group :-)

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 6 2007, 10:56pm

Post #31 of 35 (67 views)
Shortcut
Dawn: can't open your messages [In reply to] Can't Post

Dawn:

I can't read any of the messages you posted today. I can see the subject line in the threads, but if I click on any of your messages I get an error message saying "message does not exist". Sometimes the "error" message is caused by trying to include a large picture or file.

You might want to take out the pic or attachment and see if your messages will go through.

I'm not an admin, just a longtime fellow Tornsib! Maybe one of the admins will respond to this and offer assistance, or check the Torn 201 folder in the "Main Index" page.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 6 2007, 11:07pm

Post #32 of 35 (63 views)
Shortcut
ah, 1973 [In reply to] Can't Post

The characters are Tolkien fans, which may have something to do with it. (Like yours, my latest story is a period piece, except that my period is 1969-1985 or thereabouts

Now THAT sounds interesting! I wonder if any of us old-time Tolkienesque hippies will sort of recognize ourselves in your characters, LOL.

every day I'm looking up things like the top ten songs of 1973 or the date of the first gay bar in Denver.

***a.s. tries to remember is she was ever in Denver in 1973...

"an seileachan"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2007, 11:49pm

Post #33 of 35 (43 views)
Shortcut
A City of Bells [In reply to] Can't Post

by Elizabeth Goudge. I've a vague idea that someone here recommended it ages ago; if so, thank you.

It took me a while to get into her dense and sometime repetitive descriptions, but now I'm enjoying it very much (I'm about a third of the way in). Everyone is nice, and it's refreshing to the spirit. And there are some wonderfully funny passages.

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 7 2007, 1:04am

Post #34 of 35 (76 views)
Shortcut
Right now I'm up to 1976 [In reply to] Can't Post

and my characters have just survived the Big Thompson flood (as my parents did).

It's been so much fun looking up all the details. Some of them are really hard to find, like when was it exactly that the Denver skyline changed dramatically when all the skyscrapers were built and the Daniels and Fisher tower was no longer the highest building? When were the cables removed from the north face of Longs Peak? Where was Venus in the sky, since my characters keep looking at it and thinking it looks like Earendil. :-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.