Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I have a small birthday gift for you all today (not a mathom,
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 24 2007, 12:29pm

Post #26 of 38 (104 views)
Shortcut
*starts drooling* You're Awesome!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

FantasyFan
Rohan

Feb 24 2007, 1:31pm

Post #27 of 38 (98 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday and thank you for the excellent present. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I am one who started with the forward and prologue and read right through the appendices. But I most likely skipped over the table of contents. And although it was so long ago that I don't remember my reaction to the 'spoilers', I do remember being entranced from the very beginning. The prologue sets up the conceit of a memoir, and as a 13 year old I thought that was a very cool device. But since I didn't know the story yet, (I don't think I had read the hobbit) I did not know that there were clues to be looked for. If you don't know there's a journey to be survived, you don't look for clues as to who will survive it.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2007, 7:39pm

Post #28 of 38 (127 views)
Shortcut
I used not to have the patience [In reply to] Can't Post

for prologues, forwards, tables of contents, etc. so I probably did not read any of that before starting on the meat of LOTR. What probably happened was I read the story then had to have more so I went on to the appendices. Then I either remembered there was material before the main part of the story and went back and read it, or else the next time I picked up the books I read all of it.

I'm now more patient and occasionally will read material before a book "begins"; however, I have been burned too many times by spoilers being given away in introductions not to be cautious. The worst one was introductory material to Dickens' Little Dorritt in which the person writing the introduction gave away what happens to Little Dorritt at the end. If he had done it once I might have been able to put it out of my mind, but he talked about it repeatedly. So much for any suspense there!

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then TX seceded.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2007, 9:50pm

Post #29 of 38 (104 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's a pet peeve of mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

Introduction writers who think they're presenting a class on literary analysis that takes apart and examines all the surprises of the story before you get there. Put the darn things at the end of the book!

I feel equally strongly about the blurbs on the back covers of many paperbacks. Sometimes I think they're written by the same people who design movie and tv previews; either they're terribly misleading about the story or genre/style of the thing, or they tell you everything so you have nothing left to look forward to. </rant.>

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Penthe
Gondor

Feb 25 2007, 1:35am

Post #30 of 38 (91 views)
Shortcut
Cirith Ungol [In reply to] Can't Post

I really believed that Frodo was dead after Shelob stung him. I knew already that in stories like this that the good guys win, and I was pretty devastated that one of the big heroes looked to be dead. But it seemed reasonable to me at the time.

So I guess I was actually prepared by then for some genre-busting.

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2007, 3:12am

Post #31 of 38 (123 views)
Shortcut
I was surprised (and a teensy-weensy disappointed)... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that after all that build-up over three-books' worth, it took one sentence to end it all. Gollum falls in after doing the best imitation of the chicken dance ever?! Gimme a break!

I was very disappointed that Frodo didn't get the happy ending he deserved and that the hobbits were not together till the very end and that Sauron and Saruman just went *POOF!* (btw, what happened to their spirits when they were refused entry into the West/Halls of Mandox/Whatever ? Did they automatically go into the Void? Or are they just trolling around Arda, looking for new dictators to whisper sweet nothings in their ears?). I was also disappointed that the elves left and that it was the end of Elven magic in Middle-earth. It was a big let-down that Arwen died of a broken heart (should've went looking for Figwit... I bet he could've helped her pass the next millenia away), that Pippin didn't have any kids (couldn't Sam have spared him a couple?) and that nobody thought to drill some holes in the burnt-out palantir that Denethor totalled and used it as a bowling ball in the Minas Tirith Tournament Classic. Outside of that, I wish Tolkien had not given up on his story of Herumor and expanded on the five wizards. But most of all, killing Boromir off... WHAT?! HAVE YOU LOST CONTROL OF YOUR SENSES?! DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE TERM "BABE MAGNET"?!

*grumble grumble*

Oy, Professor! Have I got a bone to pick with you!

Curious
Half-elven

Feb 25 2007, 4:50am

Post #32 of 38 (102 views)
Shortcut
Pippin had at least one son, Faramir Took. [In reply to] Can't Post

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2007, 4:59am

Post #33 of 38 (85 views)
Shortcut
Argh! Wrong hobbit!... [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant Merry!

Curious
Half-elven

Feb 25 2007, 6:27am

Post #34 of 38 (105 views)
Shortcut
Merry also had at least one son, [In reply to] Can't Post

although he is not named in the family trees or elsewhere. In appendix B, an entry for the year S.R. 1484 states that Merry and Pippin turned their "goods and offices" over to their sons before riding to Rohan and Gondor for the last time.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 9:40pm

Post #35 of 38 (77 views)
Shortcut
A very belated Happy Birthday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you are here with us :-)

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 26 2007, 12:30am

Post #36 of 38 (87 views)
Shortcut
Happy belated birthday, Curious. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it was a wonderful day for you.

Thanks for a fascinating non-mathom. There were several earlier comments on chapter titles in nefisa's opening discussion of Mount Doom, "Into Hot Air", about a year ago in the Reading Room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

Estelwyn
The Shire

Feb 27 2007, 8:57am

Post #37 of 38 (63 views)
Shortcut
Very belatedly...Happy Birthday :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome present, Curious! Thanks for the thoughtful work you put into it. Hope your birthday was 'specially magnificent!

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 2:29pm

Post #38 of 38 (89 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the mathom, (how creative of you,) and I hope you had a great day.

WG

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.