First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 27 2011, 11:12pm

Post #76 of 89 (4380 views)
Shortcut
Ah, tongue in cheek... [In reply to] Can't Post

@Sharky
A little digging around (on Wiki and blu-ray forums) has revealed the background to Harris's statement. Is this right? He replaced his original review (which did mention the tint) with this over-the-top praise and then implied the transfer is the kind of product a certain Colin McKenzie might be proud of, the fictional film-maker Jackson starred as in "Forgotten Silver", the mockumentary he made with Costa Botes in 1995.

How bizarre is that?! WB is now using his ironic statement as support for their contention that there's nothing wrong???!!

Sharky
Bree

Jun 27 2011, 11:36pm

Post #77 of 89 (4346 views)
Shortcut
Indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

@Kendalf ...haha, yeah, good point! Just the latest ironic twist in the whole absurd debacle. The thing is, there are a lot of people who don't care a jot about the whole tint debate, while others agree that there is certainly cause for concern. I admit I'm no technical expert and would remain ignorant of all this if it weren't for the online HD community, but from everything I've read - and more importantly - the evidence I've seen, in this layman's opinion the overlaid tint is virtually a fact! It seems like a anomaly, but if it has been approved by PJ and Lesnie, then I'm a little disturbed!

And here we find you, feasting and... smoking!

(This post was edited by Sharky on Jun 27 2011, 11:38pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2011, 1:06am

Post #78 of 89 (4352 views)
Shortcut
Empirical Evidence [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, when you get your disks, please report to us whether the Hobbiton sky and the Rivendell fade to white are actually green. And hold up something white, blue and green to the screen. ;)

They seem to have answered one question, if a little vaguely. But it would be better to hear from Jackson, "Yes, we intentionally put a monotonal green overlay on top of the entire movie," or "That's not a simple overlay. There was no mistake. We absolutely used discriminating and judicious use of color grading adjusted for every scene. Even the titles and credits. Even the snow. Even the fade to white."

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 8:35am

Post #79 of 89 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Will do! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be conducting every sort of non-scientific, utterly subjective test I have at my disposal!

You're right about the statement, though: very vague and very brief. Only two sentences, in fact, before (mistakenly?) quoting Harris. Nowhere near robust and considered enough to quash the controversy. And only posted obscurely on a Discussion thread.

Like you, I'm not satisfied with that. I want to hear from Jackson himself as to why he now prefers fade-to-green over fade-to-white.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 28 2011, 11:48am

Post #80 of 89 (4303 views)
Shortcut
Could you do a test for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you own the blu-rays can you take a screen-cap of the extended dvd with the tv's colour tone on "normal" and compare it to the blu-ray with it set to "warm" or "warm 2" if it has the option?

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 3:11pm

Post #81 of 89 (4322 views)
Shortcut
I certainly can't, sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've no blu-ray drive on my PC and therefore no software for such an operation either.

All I'm going to be doing (on my LCD TV) is flicking between the blu-ray (in my PS3) and my old DVD (in my Denon player). That's scientific enough, right? Crazy

May play with the settings, though, like you suggest, to see if they can minimise the tint...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 28 2011, 3:48pm

Post #82 of 89 (4290 views)
Shortcut
Get a camera... [In reply to] Can't Post

A camera won't do much for comparing quality, but it should be good enough to compare colour changes. I think?

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2011, 4:22pm

Post #83 of 89 (4313 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I didn't realize that this thread was still going, since it dropped off the page... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we would do well to take this up in the review thread that NewsfromBree started today, since it's still visible.

Permanent address: Into the West

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 5:48pm

Post #84 of 89 (4313 views)
Shortcut
You beat me to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just came on to post the same thing!

See you there...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 28 2011, 6:45pm

Post #85 of 89 (4322 views)
Shortcut
Sort by activity instead of creation ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 7:38pm

Post #86 of 89 (4285 views)
Shortcut
Weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone have a screen comparison for Weathertop? I ask because the original scene was hrribly overlit, and I am curious to see if it looks better in this version.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Jun 29 2011, 8:35pm

Post #87 of 89 (4261 views)
Shortcut
Once again, I must argue that the DEFAULT sort order should be that way. // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2011, 12:08am

Post #88 of 89 (4243 views)
Shortcut
Default Sort Order [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 1 2011, 10:22am

Post #89 of 89 (4634 views)
Shortcut
I have the blu-rays I'll post one up in the week. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm gonna watch them (one a day) before I start playing with them, though.

For the record. I remember it looking slightly darker (deeper blacks) but with more colour visible and a (guess what) slight greenish tint...

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 1 2011, 10:28am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.