Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Petty Dwarf
The Shire

Nov 10, 2:07am

Post #651 of 653 (565 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I have! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm enjoying the site very much, but I have to ask...

In my profile page, it gives me an option to choose between "less filling" and "tastes great", and again between "elves and dragons" or "cabbages and potatoes". What do these choices mean in the context of this site?

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10, 3:23am

Post #652 of 653 (559 views)
Shortcut
Questions that need answering... [In reply to] Can't Post

The questions aren't important, they're just for fun

"Tastes great" and "less filling" are references to the ubiquitous ad campaign that Miller Lite Beer ran in the 80s. Pretty much every American who remembers that era remembers the ads full of people yelling those two slogans at each other. So that one is just the PTB of the site having a silly little joke (and showing their age, now, since so many younger people don't even recognize it).

The other question actually comes from The Lord of the Rings book, when the Gaffer is telling Sam not to get too enthralled with Bilbo's tales. "Elves and dragons! Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you. Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters or you'll land in trouble too big for you." In that case, the choice is between the stay-at-home cosy life, or one of adventure.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Petty Dwarf
The Shire

Nov 10, 3:47am

Post #653 of 653 (553 views)
Shortcut
Elves an dragons for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I left the other one alone for now. Maybe next year. :p

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.