The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
"Ho! Ho! Ho!" and "The Bath Song"

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

May 18 2011, 6:27pm

Post #1 of 15 (2960 views)
Shortcut
"Ho! Ho! Ho!" and "The Bath Song" Can't Post

I think these two songs ("Ho! Ho! Ho!" and "The Bath Song") from The Fellowship of the Ring are in special need of melody! As far as I'm aware, they haven't been recorded on any of the major audio productions of LotR, and I'm not aware of any fan versions out there on the web. SO, I would like to issue an artistic challenge to all of the musically-inclined guys and gals out there to set these two songs in particular to music! And not mambsy-pambsy Elvish music, but HOBBIT music (which, I believe, in Tolkien's mind meant pub music)!

(on a sidenote, I think it would be awesome if Howard Shore took all of the drinking songs and walking songs and laments in LotR and set them to simple "Middle-Earthian" melodies. Then they could be released as a "b-side" CD in conjunction with the fabled "LotR + Hobbit Ultimate Edition")

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 18 2011, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 15 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Can they be techno?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

May 18 2011, 10:57pm

Post #3 of 15 (2317 views)
Shortcut
ala "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard"?? Hmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, that'd be awesome!! Not exactly what I had in mind, but still cool Smile

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 19 2011, 1:46am

Post #4 of 15 (2299 views)
Shortcut
It's really stinks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't sing AT ALL 'cause I would so try to do this. I'm one of those peeps that turn the music up really loud in the car and *hope* that no one can hear me. *snert* Angelic Normally I just dink around making music and imagining what it would sound like with words. Oh, and on one else in my family can sing either so I can't charter them on this... All of us squeak or in my dad's case growls [shhh don't tell him I said so] in the key of H.Laugh

End of line.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

May 19 2011, 5:17am

Post #5 of 15 (2300 views)
Shortcut
The key of H [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm... maybe that means you all sing the way Thelonius Monk plays... you just sing notes that western music doesn't know how to use yet, and most don't understand.

Having taken voice lessons myself, I'm a big believer that there are no bad singers, just untrained singers. It can take even a natural singer with perfect pitch some good amount of training to be great.

flying fish
Bree

May 19 2011, 9:54am

Post #6 of 15 (2307 views)
Shortcut
Suggest you search: "The Tolkien Ensemble"// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 19 2011, 11:32am

Post #7 of 15 (2928 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that if anyone really wants to do something and they're willing to work for it they could.
At the music store where I take bass lessons there is a voice teacher there at the same time and she's halarious. Always making her students sing outside. Ugh. I'm soooo glad that she's not my teacher even though she's happy and fun to be around. One of those "stinker" types. *snert*Laugh

End of line.

Paul Erickson
The Shire

May 24 2011, 7:43pm

Post #8 of 15 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Familiar Melodies [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are both great songs, and hobbit-melodies for each are much-needed. If only Tolkien had used familiar melodies for his songs. Or maybe he did, but no one remembers them in the 21st century, especially in America. I liked what Howard Shore did with the other songs in LOTR, like The Road Goes Ever On and the Took Drinking Song. Let's hope for great things in the coming films!

Visit my website to see art and excerpts from my full-scale parody of The Hobbit at www.TheWobbitAParody.com

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2011, 9:46pm

Post #9 of 15 (2336 views)
Shortcut
just as a minor point [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked what Howard Shore did with the other songs in LOTR, like The Road Goes Ever On and the Took Drinking Song. Let's hope for great things in the coming films!

Shore didn't write the tunes to those song.

Fran Walsh wrote the melody for The Road Goes Ever On

Fran Walsh wrote the melody for Hey Ho To the Bottle I Go. (sung in the Green Dragon)

and Plan 9 wrote the melody for the Green Dragon (sung in Edoras).

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 25 2011, 2:43pm

Post #10 of 15 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Didn't Fran [In reply to] Can't Post

and Phillipa write all the lyrics to the songs? I know at least Fran wrote Gollum's song and Into the West.

End of line.

Magpie
Immortal

May 25 2011, 10:35pm

Post #11 of 15 (2237 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

some were written by Tolkien.

:-)

But other than those... and the ones Enya wrote... and Shore and Lennox were co-credited for Into the West... then, Fran and/or Philippa did write most of the lyrics. However, some of the original English text is quite un-lyrical in nature.

I don't have a central index of lyricists but you can browse through the list of all source text from here:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...e_songs/SS_alpha.htm

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Paul Erickson
The Shire

May 26 2011, 11:10pm

Post #12 of 15 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Kudos [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie-

Your site is very impressive! Keep up the great work!

-Paul

Visit my website to see art and excerpts from my full-scale parody of The Hobbit at www.TheWobbitAParody.com

Gollum the Great
Rohan

May 31 2011, 7:40pm

Post #13 of 15 (2176 views)
Shortcut
Nice, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I made up tunes to a lot of the songs, just so that while I was reading, I could sort of hum along with Tolkien's marvelous poetry.

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Jun 1 2011, 5:11pm

Post #14 of 15 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I'm aiming for as well, but so far my tunes aren't too great... Tongue Or at least they aren't on par with (or in the vein of) the ones in the film... Unsure

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 2 2011, 2:14pm

Post #15 of 15 (2775 views)
Shortcut
Yah, I know what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

pretty much every tune sounds exactly the same. I did adopt "The road goes ever on" from the movie because it was a lot better than mine. And I liked the wood elve's version of "Elbereth".

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.