Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is The Hobbit board moving too fast?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 11 2011, 4:38pm

Post #51 of 68 (490 views)
Shortcut
I especially like threaded for two reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

(and my regular, every day reasons are quite high up in my esteem)

1. If the first, initial post is image heavy... like some of the LOTR movie SCOD threads. If I have to load that image heavy post everytime I visit thread, it takes awhile. But by going to the LOTR movie index page and either expanding that one thread or expanding all threads (two different commands), I can see just those new posts and click on them without loading all the posts in the thread - especially that image heavy one.

2. My second reason is related. In the Hobbit board, there are just too many posts for me to keep up with. I will go to TH board and expand all threads. Then I will scan the subject lines and the names of people posting to determine which posts I want to read. It is very easy to follow the subthreads in this viewing option, as well.

My only disappointment is with a tactic I tried recently. I tried opening the Hobbit board and expanding all threads (in threaded mode). Then I right click (control click) on the posts I want to read and open them in a new tab. I would do this with a number of posts and then go to those tabs to read them. That left the main expanded index page open and ready to read (since it takes a while to load the page in this view). The problem was... doing a right click on a new post did not mark it as read for me. It remained highlighted as a new post (when I refreshed the page or left and revisited the page) even though I *had* read it. I really rely on the new post indicators to tell me what to focus on. I want to make sure I at least scan all new posts even if I don't read them all so I want the ones I have read to show up as read.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

May 11 2011, 6:20pm

Post #52 of 68 (497 views)
Shortcut
That's odd [In reply to] Can't Post

I do a similar thing and things get marked as read.

Ahh, the mysteries of the internet!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn.

Squashed_into_Jelly
Bree

May 11 2011, 8:20pm

Post #53 of 68 (416 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

O0o. Shocked Gandalf my old friend, this will be a film to remember. Wink

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 11 2011, 8:20pm

Post #54 of 68 (507 views)
Shortcut
Another holdover from the old TORN boards [In reply to] Can't Post

The old forum software supported peer moderation of posts. Anyone could moderate up posts they liked by one point and moderate down posts they disliked. Posts that dropped below a certain threshold weren't displayed (although IIRC you could change your settings and view them). It worked fairly well as a community mechanism to reward excellent posts and penalize offensive ones, although occasionally someone who posted an unpopular but legitimate opinion would find it modded down to invisibility.

First Agers who used the old TORN boards carried over the practice of "modding up" posts they like by posting "Mods up" as a reply.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ethel Duath
Valinor

May 12 2011, 2:46am

Post #55 of 68 (430 views)
Shortcut
Tradition! "On the other hand . . ." "There is no other hand!" (Tevye) :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, there is another hand. But like he said, "If I bend that far I'll break!" Do we become something "not-TORn" if we change this feature? I don't frequent other boards to speak of, so I can't compare. But it seems to me a good case has been made for the present system. It has far more ramifications than I ever realized (and apparently, lets me make and celebrate long strings of puns!EvilLaugh).

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

May 12 2011, 3:54am

Post #56 of 68 (468 views)
Shortcut
To clarify, please, where does the term "expanded" appear? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2011, 4:16am

Post #57 of 68 (434 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about where it appears... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I can tell you what it means and how to do it.

I have my default set at 'threaded' and 'collapsed'

which means when I enter a board, it looks like this:

and when I click on a thread it looks like this:

When I first enter a board, I can chose to 'expand' one thread by clicking on that cross hair circle you see above.

or I can expand all of them using the button on the top right:

or I can go into my settings and set 'Default forum view' to be 'expanded. That means, every time I go into a board, all threads will be expanded. I tried this for awhile but it took forever to load a page and I set it back to 'collapsed'. I don't, as a rule, expand a thread while still on a board index page. I usually just click on the subject line, which loads the original post and the threaded responses under it. Or I click on the last post indicator which loads that last post with the threaded conversation under it.

But for the Hobbit board, there are so many posts and I'm not really interested in most of them so by expanding all threads (using the button) or just one or two conversations (using the cross hairs), I can peruse the thread quickly and decide to dig in or leave.

If you have your default set to threaded/collapsed and you expand a thread and then leave a board... then come back and click to expand another thread... that thread you previously expanded will also expand. To stop it from expanding every time you expand another thread, you have to collapse it again (using that cross hair circle which looks like a minus in a circle when it's expanded which means the cross hairs is actually a plus sign).

And having said all that... I now presume that when Silverlode said, "switch their view to Threaded/Expanded"... she meant to do so in the Display Settings in those fields I showed at the beginning of this post.

LOTR soundtrack website

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 12 2011, 4:22am

Post #58 of 68 (469 views)
Shortcut
Ahh....yes, that's unclear, sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a question of inconsistent labeling. Here's the deal.

If you go to Edit Profile/Display Settings, you'll find a setting for "Default Post Display", which gives the option of Threaded or Flat. This determines what you'll see when you open a thread to read it. You can switch views while in a particular thread by using the button on the top right of your screen which toggles between "View Flat/View Threaded".

A little further down the Display Settings page, you'll see "Default Forum View" which gives the option of Threaded or Collapsed. This determines how each main forum page will look; Collapsed shows only the subject line of the root posts, Threaded shows all the subject lines in all the topics on the page (except Stickies), like an outline of the conversation. You can also toggle this while viewing the main forum page, using the button on the top right which toggles between "Collapsed View/Expand All Threads".

So if you're looking on your Display Settings page, you want to set Threaded/Threaded to get the setting I was referring to. But in terms of the toggle buttons on the forum itself, it's Threaded/Expanded. Clear as mud? Tongue

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 12 2011, 4:26am

Post #59 of 68 (416 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find Threaded/Expanded makes more sense to me than Threaded/Threaded and I'd forgotten that the Display Settings page reads differently than the buttons on the forum itself.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

macfalk
Valinor

May 12 2011, 7:39am

Post #60 of 68 (482 views)
Shortcut
My problem with threaded [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from the enormous amount of clicking required for threaded mode if entering a big thread, the posts are all a big mess (at least for me) since they don't appear to show themselves in chronological order, which is a huge drawback for me. As for not being able to respond to which is which at flat mode, I find that incorrect too, because if I want to know who the post was directed to in flat, I just click "In Reply To" and the browser automatically takes me there, it works flawless for me, at least.

Another drawback is that if you are reading threaded in a big thread, you are likely to skip a lot of posts and just look at their headlines, which in turn can lead to that you miss out on things the posters has posted.

I hope that made any sense Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on May 12 2011, 7:40am)

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

May 12 2011, 11:55am

Post #61 of 68 (422 views)
Shortcut
So Legolas set up the profile board? <grin> [In reply to] Can't Post

I use threaded/threaded, which of course toggles to "collapsed" in the northeast. Thanks for the clarification.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2011, 1:49pm

Post #62 of 68 (466 views)
Shortcut
from my side of the pond. [In reply to] Can't Post

the posts are all a big mess (at least for me) since they don't appear to show themselves in chronological order,

Well, they do... kind of. In a subthread, each indented subject line is a response so increasing indents do indicate 'order' of posting. And for all the messages posted in reply to one post (say... the original post), the newest ones are further down the board.

The chronological order only matters to me when it's a subconversation. A said something and B replies and C added a thought and B replied to C and D replied to B. I can follow the 'order' of posting both in terms of time posted (by noting the indentation and position on the thread) and in terms of who is talking to who.

Another drawback is that if you are reading threaded in a big thread, you are likely to skip a lot of posts and just look at their headlines, which in turn can lead to that you miss out on things the posters has posted.

Which is exactly why I read threaded. If you can read every post on this forum, my hat is off to you! I can't. I not only can't, I don't care to. Not only do some conversations not interest me... some are incomprehensible to me (those that don't take the care to format or write in conventional styles). I have my favorite posters on the boards that I will very often read and I look for conversations that catch my eye... but I'd never read them all. I might miss something interesting... but I can live with it. I doubt I'll miss something truly important.

But, all that is to say that we each have our preferred styles of reading that is likely determined by areas of interest, time available, and how we process information. That is what is so brilliant about giving us choices. If you had to live in the threaded world, you might give up. If I had to live in the flat world, I might get frustrated. But when we each get to choose, we each attain at least some level of satisfaction and contentment. :-)

The choice of threaded vs flat, of course, does not impact the bumping / no bumping situation at all (which is what irks people more than the threaded / flat choice). But even in that matter, we do have *some* choice as we can chose to view in order of last activity. It just can't be chosen as a default setting.

LOTR soundtrack website

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 12 2011, 3:07pm

Post #63 of 68 (395 views)
Shortcut
There are definitely advantages to both [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is the beauty of it: everyone can use their preferred method as their default, but aren't locked into using one or the other all the time. The advandages of both are available with just a click or two, and the disadvantages of both can be avoided (mostly) if need be. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 12 2011, 3:27pm

Post #64 of 68 (513 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me of another problem I always had with Threaded mode [In reply to] Can't Post

My work computers (where I do a fair bit of my internet browsing) tend to be very slow image loaders and, when a thread has many images or image footers, clicking the 'in reply to' button would put me on the correct reply and then load all the images, pushing the reply I'm looking for down the page. Sometimes in a large thread with lots of picture footers (like, say, Fiesta) the 'in reply to' button simply did not do me any good.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Tim
Tol Eressea

May 12 2011, 6:17pm

Post #65 of 68 (447 views)
Shortcut
I was one of those mods on the Star Wars board [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Notta: 1) Threads can grow to hundreds of pages, and posters on page 107 never read what someone wrote on page 52, so you end up with a thread that looks cohesive to the outsider, but in reality is the same thing that happens here - the same subjects, topics & opinions getting mashed together over and over.

I agree with this in particular. Years ago, I left the Stars Wars forums because the mods were arrogant and relentless about moving posts to huge threads when the topic had already been started there. Eventually, there really are no topics left and every post gets shunted to an existing thread. No new thought, no new shade of meaning went unpunished without a summary merge. Good riddence to that kind of heavy-handed rule. It is the only forum in a franchise which interests me that I've ever completely left behind. However, in forums where one is allowed to restart a topic at will because someone has a new point of view on an old topic, thread bumping does not stop one thread from dying and a new one taking it's place. Though I admit there are those in who will too often take the time to command people to do a search first instead of taking the time to add something beneficial to the discussion.

and I'm not arrogant. We simply did what we had to do to keep the redundant threads to a minimum. Frankly the "no bumping" here drives me crazy. Constant making up new threads that cover the same topic over and over is boring and repetitive. I believe that if someone respects a community they'll do a search and post in threads that already exist instead of trying to grab attention and start a new thread. Then again, I'm one of those guys who'll actually read through a long thread as well to catch up on what's being said.

Mad Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?

Sly There are some who call me... Tim?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 12 2011, 8:54pm

Post #66 of 68 (415 views)
Shortcut
You can turn off footers [In reply to] Can't Post

in your profile. Choose Display Settings and select No under Show Signatures. That might help with the load time.

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 13 2011, 11:31pm

Post #67 of 68 (492 views)
Shortcut
this is good advice... I did it [In reply to] Can't Post

and it does make things so much easier for me to focus... not to mention speeding up loading time.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 23 2011, 5:22am

Post #68 of 68 (890 views)
Shortcut
TORN's main board saw at least 25 new threads every day in December 2003. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have statistics for the Movie board at that time, but the Reading Room had 269 new threads that month, as compared to 29 new threads in December 2010.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
There is no such thing as "judder and blur".

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien´┐Żs life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.