Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
The Return Of The Rings: LOTR's Extended Editions Coming To The Big Screen
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ShawnMR
The Shire

Apr 27 2011, 9:01pm

Post #51 of 70 (619 views)
Shortcut
My feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

A big part of me suspects this is a test-bed to see how much demand there could potentially be for the inevitable nationwide 3D re-release in a few years (maybe for the 15th anniversary?). I doubt they'll be advertising this June re-release very much or to large markets, so it might be hard for us to tell just how much appeal it has outside the (wide) fanbase -- unless there aren't many sell outs, in which case, could be a bad sign. But I highly doubt that will happen.

vtboyarc
Lorien

Apr 28 2011, 12:58am

Post #52 of 70 (632 views)
Shortcut
yesss!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be seeing these in theatres! It will be like old times! But the Extended Editions will be even better! And I maybe have to get an HD tv and blu-ray player just for the blu-ray EE set.....

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/adamcarter

FantasyFan
Rohan

Apr 28 2011, 11:53am

Post #53 of 70 (547 views)
Shortcut
Who in Michigan is going to these? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I'm willing to travel for at least one, most likely ROTK, to meet up. How do we form a line party, anyway?

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 28 2011, 4:55pm

Post #54 of 70 (540 views)
Shortcut
Hey FF, where is the closest AMC to Detroit? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2011, 5:11pm

Post #55 of 70 (513 views)
Shortcut
Anybody in Southwest Florida? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be seeing these in Fort Myers at the Regal Belltower 20. It'd be nice to get some kind of line party going, regardless of how small. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

FantasyFan
Rohan

Apr 28 2011, 5:17pm

Post #56 of 70 (525 views)
Shortcut
Madison Heights [In reply to] Can't Post

AMC Star John R-15 (14 mile and I-75). A suburb a little north of Detroit itself, but easy to get to. But I'm willing to travel out of my area for at least a couple hundred miles if there's a party brewing.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Apr 28 2011, 6:37pm

Post #57 of 70 (535 views)
Shortcut
Also, aren't DVDs always released on Tuesdays? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Apr 28 2011, 7:45pm

Post #58 of 70 (507 views)
Shortcut
The majority of the time they are, but sometimes no. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2011, 5:47am

Post #59 of 70 (500 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering if this longer run-times may be intermissions? [In reply to] Can't Post

These movies are very long to watch in the theaters...

But I hope not. I'd rather they are additional footage.Shocked

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2011, 7:06am

Post #60 of 70 (633 views)
Shortcut
That would be a horrible disappointment :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I'm not going to be able to catch these showings, but I'm hoping the longer showtimes indicate extended scenes (rather than intermissions) anyway Wink

Tamara
Rivendell

Apr 29 2011, 4:03pm

Post #61 of 70 (502 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Boston's AMC downtown is on the list too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2011, 7:41pm

Post #62 of 70 (455 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

there are 15 minute intermissions, but then the other 15 minutes in FotR is extra footage

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2011, 10:29pm

Post #63 of 70 (486 views)
Shortcut
some info got posted in another thread that might be illuminating [In reply to] Can't Post

It's on the LOTR movie board. I've suggested it should be on the Moots board so it might be wise to delay replying in that thread till the mods make a decision to move or leave it.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=352104#352104

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 29 2011, 11:20pm

Post #64 of 70 (451 views)
Shortcut
and the new TORN hobbit shirt to wear [In reply to] Can't Post

will make it all very nice. Tickets printed out for all three and shirt bought. Yippee.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Apr 30 2011, 2:55pm

Post #65 of 70 (530 views)
Shortcut
If there are intermissions, could be when they switch disks? :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

trabera
The Shire

Apr 30 2011, 11:53pm

Post #66 of 70 (540 views)
Shortcut
...you may be joking, but they may in fact be showing the Blu Rays. [In reply to] Can't Post

PLEASE BE AWARE that these screenings are being put on by Fathom Events. The quality of their projection IS NOT digital cinema. They use the "pre-show" 1K projectors that AMC Theaters are equipped with to run the pre-show commercials and behind the scenes shorts.

I just want to bring this to your attention because I'm very afraid that there will be a lot of disappointed people who will have spent full ticket price for something that may end up being a pretty bad show. These guys did special screenings of Poltergeist, The Wizard of Oz, The Blues Brothers, and The Exorcist. Google "AMC fathom poltergeist" and you can see how upset the fans were who went to these screenings.

I'm really shocked that given the quality that Jackson strives for, he's allowing this to happen but my guess is that it's just a way for the studio to cash in on the release of the Blu Rays.

-JL

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 1 2011, 11:58am

Post #67 of 70 (427 views)
Shortcut
Possible reason for "Director's Cut" terminology [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, which isn't very far!, the term EE (Extended Edition) is rather unique to LotR-PJ. So perhaps they are using DC as a term for longer versions more familiar outside the LotR-PJ fan base. The Fathom Events page and elsewhere are definitely using the term EE.

Timothy Fisher alias "Timdalf"

"... The Word of God Himself, He, indeed, assumed humanity that we might become as God..." St. Athanasius of Alexandria "On the Incarnation"

The fear of the end is the source of all lovelessness. Richard Wagner's Letters

Saruman: Can we not have peace, you and I?
King Theoden: We shall have peace. (pause) When you answer for the burning of the Westfold. And the children that lie dead there. We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the Hornburg are avenged. When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows, we shall have peace. Tolkien - "The Return of the King"

Frodo: It is a pity Bilbo did not kill Gollum when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? (Frodo frowns.) Do not be so eager to deal out death in judgment, even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us. There are other forces at work in the world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Tolkien - "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Eregyrn
The Shire

May 1 2011, 2:52pm

Post #68 of 70 (419 views)
Shortcut
*waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

Woo! I bought my tickets for Boston downtown yesterday... so as of that time, it still wasn't sold out.

*eyes you* Am at Harvard too, although am unsure if I get to claim "steward". Nice to see evidence of other Ringers there! :)

Tamara
Rivendell

May 2 2011, 4:51pm

Post #69 of 70 (442 views)
Shortcut
Got my tix! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eregyrn- are you booked for all 3? I've got mine now. I also put the events on our Facebook group, OneWhiteTree, so more Bostonians will know. I know greendragon is booked for Fellowship and my sister and niece are attending ROTK, but I haven't seen any others booked from the trilogy yet.

Still, a month to go!
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in December 2012 with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

shadowdog
Rohan

May 6 2011, 6:10pm

Post #70 of 70 (531 views)
Shortcut
Haven't read through the entire thread, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this info before and it got lost. Crazy In Las Vegas, NV AMC is not showing it.....BUT......Regal Cinemas IS. So if you don't have AMC or your local AMC isn't showing it, check to see if a Regal Cinema near you is showing it. Wink

In Reply To
This is really exciting news (though it was leaked a week ago -- I even e-mailed TORn about it, as I'm sure others did)...

BUT...

I REALLY hope the news-to-come involves announcements of OTHER theater chains because if its exclusively in AMC that will really, really stink. I live in Nashville and there isn't an AMC anywhere near here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.