Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
'Collecting the Precious' - Collecting Column comes to TheOneRing.net

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 4 2011, 9:07am

Post #1 of 7 (3598 views)
Shortcut
'Collecting the Precious' - Collecting Column comes to TheOneRing.net Can't Post

Welcome to "Collecting the Precious" a new column on TheOneRing.net about Tolkien collectibles.

I want to start this off with a little bit about myself. I've been collecting virtually all my life from sports cards to many of the high end items we see today. My collecting interest include many things like Lord Of The Rings, Marvel, Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, and more. All of which I talk about on a blog that I run called The Pulse. Tolkien's work first came into my life first when I was in high school and saw a few friends reading The Lord Of The Rings. However, my own fandom while sparked wouldn't kick in just yet.

A few years later I was at a movie with my folks and saw the first trilogy trailer for Sir Peter Jackson's films. I was blown away by what I saw and remembered my mom and I talking about how The Hobbit and Fellowship Of The Ring were two books she remembers reading while in school. That got me to thinking what was I missing especially after seeing Fellowship in the theater. So at that point I started reading the books every year and it's been a big part of my life since.

As to what this column will be about. This is going to be weekly column and at worst an every other week column that covers collecting Tolkien items from The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings. These can and will range from items from Sideshow Collectibles, Weta Workshop, and more. Some weeks it will be a review and some weeks it will be just what's going on within the world of collecting Tolkien. That way you stay in touch with what's going on in the world of Tolkien collecting and if these items are worth your purchase.

There is one thing I would ask of you the reader for help on this journey. If you see something please do not hesitate to send me a link or info on the product. I will try to catch everything I possibly can but I will need your help to make sure every Tolkien fan can get the news of what's happening in the collecting world. So one final thank you to the readers as you help me make this journey a really awesome one.

Finally, I want to thank everyone at TheOneRing.net for allowing me to become a member of the staff and a part of this fantastic site. It's one I have been checking out for years now and a chance to become a part of it to spread my love for Tolkien was something I had to I jump at. So again thank you to Chris, Cliff, and Larry among others. It means a lot to me.

Elessar (aka Josh)
elessar@theonering.net

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 5 2011, 12:02am)

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Apr 4 2011, 8:04pm

Post #2 of 7 (2436 views)
Shortcut
Go Josh!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This forum can be quiet when discussing Tolkien collectibles, i hope you can light the fire in that regard!

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 4 2011, 10:44pm

Post #3 of 7 (2441 views)
Shortcut
will this be strictly 'Weta' type collectibles? [In reply to] Can't Post

or other kinds of collectibles as well? And movie only? Or anything Tolkien related?

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

oldduffer
The Shire

Apr 5 2011, 1:28am

Post #4 of 7 (2392 views)
Shortcut
The JMan will do well [In reply to] Can't Post

Great news for TORN, JMan is in da house! Good luck to ya Josh, you'll do well I'm sure, looking forward to your column. "Old" friends are the best and all stone is good stone. Wink

Hamfast
Rohan

Apr 5 2011, 2:31am

Post #5 of 7 (2466 views)
Shortcut
Cool ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually just pre-ordered my copy of the exclusive Gimli statue from Sideshow Collectibles pictured in your post. I also have the Gollum statue pre-ordered, and have already purchased the Gandalf premium format figure and the Witch King premium format figure. Now I need to invest in a lighted/mirrored curio cabinet to hold all of these treasures plus my Tolkien books and other ephemera. Needless to say I look forward to your column ( especially any info you can find on the upcoming Rivendell environment from WETA....) Cheers !

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Apr 8 2011, 8:27pm

Post #6 of 7 (2483 views)
Shortcut
Anything Tolkien goes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
or other kinds of collectibles as well? And movie only? Or anything Tolkien related?

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

culliganman

Apr 9 2011, 6:41pm

Post #7 of 7 (2619 views)
Shortcut
Puzzles? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can I be selfish and suggest a column devoted to puzzles? I'd love to know if anyone has a lead on good Tolkien puzzles for adults, like ~1000 pieces. All I can find are movie-branded ones, but I want ones based on artwork.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.