Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
why do my "bolded" unread subject lines disappear?

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 21 2007, 12:01pm

Post #1 of 9 (975 views)
Shortcut
why do my "bolded" unread subject lines disappear? Can't Post

I know I've been absent for a week, so maybe I've forgotten how to view posts (I admit my brain has become more sieve-like the older I get!) but when I visit a forum and don't read all the posts, ordinarily when I go back the unread subject lines are still bolded so I know which ones I've skipped. And ordinarily they stay bolded until I either click on them or choose "mark all read" at the main index page.

But now, when I visit a forum and go back, all the subject lines are un-bolded, so I don't know which ones are unread.

Have I forgotten an essential Torn-skill, or is this something new?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done."

~~Mother Theresa

Wynnie
Rohan

Jul 21 2007, 5:30pm

Post #2 of 9 (866 views)
Shortcut
link to explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's some information NottaSackville posted in the early days of new TORn; does it match what you're seeing? Note also the qualification in Aerin's " You're right, but" response.

To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying,
The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 22 2007, 2:42pm

Post #3 of 9 (842 views)
Shortcut
hmmm...maybe it was happening all along and [In reply to] Can't Post

I just never noticed? I never "sign out" on this computer; it's set to "remember me" and always says "mae govannen, a.s." (such a polite message board!) to me when I enter. But I see what you mean, because when I close my browser and come back, the subject lines I haven't read in a "visited" board are not bolded anymore.

Maybe I was never trying to "catch up" from so far behind since the new boards appeared, and so I haven't noticed. But you'd think I would have noticed this before...

I've only had occasional computer access since Wednesday, so am desperately behind all the boards. I hate to ignore posts, but when they stop being highlighted I don't know which ones I've read and which ones I haven't.

Irritating, that.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done."

~~Mother Theresa

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 24 2007, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 9 (823 views)
Shortcut
Are you not seeing the different colours [In reply to] Can't Post

(blue for unread, green for read)? Although the bolding disappears at some point, the unread posts should stay (unbolded) blue, while the posts you have read should be green. That feature was added in March, a bit later than the link Wynnie provided. I find that very useful when there's too much to catch up on at one go. (I assume that the colour change is regulated by your browser's history, like it was on the old boards, so once the posts are older than 3 weeks, or whatever your browser's history is set for, they would revert to blue.)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 24 2007, 4:37pm

Post #5 of 9 (833 views)
Shortcut
no! wah. except when [In reply to] Can't Post

except when I haven't closed the browser. The posts I have just read will be in green, and if I don't close the browser but just go back and forth from forum to forum, those posts I have read during my "current visit", so to speak, will stay in green.

But If I close the browswer and come back, all posts are all the same exact blue color, unbolded, whether I have read them or not.

Maybe it's an IE thing? I am using IE6 on both computers...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

~~Mother Theresa

(This post was edited by a.s. on Jul 24 2007, 4:39pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 24 2007, 9:28pm

Post #6 of 9 (821 views)
Shortcut
I'm using IE too [In reply to] Can't Post

Do visited links change colour for you on other sites - like IMDb for example? They should stay a different colour for as long as you have your history set to be saved. If not, it must be something in your settings - probably your viewing history not being saved.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 24 2007, 10:05pm

Post #7 of 9 (825 views)
Shortcut
OK PEOPLE: IT'S WORKING NOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

All right: same computer, same operator, same same everything.

I just got back on my home computer after being at work and not only are the posts I've previously read on THIS computer (from before I turned the computer off) now marked in green, but so are the posts I read from my work computer today when I was signed in from work.

So: there are only two conclusions.

1) I am or was hallucinating due to mental instability.
2) There has been a fix of some kind of glitch, possibly forever mysterious.

(I realize those two are not mutually exclusive.)

Anyway, it's working now. Whatever the problem was, it's solved. Thanks for trying to help!!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

~~Mother Theresa

Lurking Girl
Bree

Jul 25 2007, 1:21am

Post #8 of 9 (815 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the quirky world we call TORn. [In reply to] Can't Post

We love it no matter what.

Hugs!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2007, 2:49am

Post #9 of 9 (891 views)
Shortcut
And everyone was worried [In reply to] Can't Post

that NewTorn would be nothing like OldTorn. It turns out the designers worked very hard to copy the bugs and quirks over to these new boards so we'd feel riiight at home.

Wink

*hugs server - though not too hard*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.