Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I want to see The Golden Compass, but I gotta admit...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2007, 2:59pm

Post #51 of 63 (88 views)
Shortcut
The version with the LOTR connection [In reply to] Can't Post

was probably made especially for the LOTR Web site. That's my guess.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2007, 3:06pm

Post #52 of 63 (68 views)
Shortcut
Nor me either. Or Pullman, for that matter.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2007, 3:33pm

Post #53 of 63 (87 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

nothing puts me off a story faster than feeling that the author is trying to push their religion on me!

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you. - anon.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2007, 3:34pm

Post #54 of 63 (90 views)
Shortcut
*bookmarks* [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent essay, very throught-provoking. Thanks for the link.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2007, 3:42pm

Post #55 of 63 (71 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I never would have read him if it weren't for TORN. Or Terry Pratchett. Or Steven Brust. Or George R.R. Martin. One thing I love about this place is all the great recommendations for new authors to read or movies to see!

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2007, 3:45pm

Post #56 of 63 (78 views)
Shortcut
no, I saw it at the premiere of "HP5" [In reply to] Can't Post

no one booed :)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2007, 3:49pm

Post #57 of 63 (77 views)
Shortcut
I saw it before Oceans 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

but when I saw HP5 last night, the trailer was much shorter, and quite different.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 17 2007, 5:16pm

Post #58 of 63 (81 views)
Shortcut
Not push. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like pushy authors, either.

I meant that the fantasy genre seems to preclude even any kind of religious themes or overtones, simply because the setting is so completely alien that there is no room for religious beliefs.

That's not to say that I think all books should have religious references. I don't. I avoid the "Christian fiction" genre, in fact, simply because so much of it is by authors who, frankly, have no talent.

This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.

--Eeyore

http://mallika.vox.com/

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2007, 5:45pm

Post #59 of 63 (74 views)
Shortcut
The supernatural in general [In reply to] Can't Post

is why Iíve gradually lost interest in fantasy. To alter what you said, ďPart of why fantasy fell out of favor for me is that so much of it required a belief in the supernatural.Ē Unicorns and fairies just arenít doing it for me. The exception for me seems to be Tolkien simply because thereís more to his stories than just that. There's beautiful language, subtext to discover, fascinating characters, etc. While I don't mind reading books from other genres that aren't exactly "literature", at least believability isn't as much of an issue for me.

I find Iím becoming more and more practical as the years go by, or maybe Iíve become more comfortable and engaged with the real world and donít need the escapism as much. Iím also finding that Iím more interested in stories to which I can relate on a personal level, that echo something thatís happened in my own life, and a lot of what passes for fantasy therefore just doesnít speak to me.

~~~~~~~~

Coming up with reasons for changing my nick from GaladrielTX to Galadriel wore me out.

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Jul 17 2007, 5:46pm)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2007, 6:18pm

Post #60 of 63 (69 views)
Shortcut
So much for my theory. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's that unusual for movie trailers to exist in more than one version, though.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 17 2007, 7:20pm

Post #61 of 63 (66 views)
Shortcut
have you read Le Guin? [In reply to] Can't Post

She often explores spiritual themes in her books - although she seems to steer clear of any kind of deity, being a Taoist herself. In The Left Hand of Darkness, she makes up two religions and "quotes" from them often, and Always Coming Home is based in part on Native American spiritual practices.

Never attribute to malice that which you can attribute to stupidity. - anon.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 17 2007, 8:41pm

Post #62 of 63 (55 views)
Shortcut
Not those two books. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did read the Earthsea series, and I liked them very much.

She was one of the ones I had in mind when I suggested how few fantasy writers can insert spirituality into their books and not have it seem forced. (She's one of the few who CAN, I mean.)

It has been about 137 years since I read Earthsea. Is it a complete, different world, or is it similar to Tolkien and is meant to be our world, just in another time?

I think the ones where the author created a whole different reality were the ones I had so much trouble with.

This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.

--Eeyore

http://mallika.vox.com/

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 18 2007, 12:27am

Post #63 of 63 (65 views)
Shortcut
It's a completely different world [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the action takes place in the Archipelago, a nation of thousands of islands peopled by a red-brown race (Le Guin's people are usually nonwhite), some of whom have magical abilities. There's another nation nearby made up of four larger islands where the people are white. Then there's a race of people who live on rafts out in the sea year-round. And there are dragons.

She's written three new books since the original series, and there's a lot about death and the afterlife in them.

Never attribute to malice that which you can attribute to stupidity. - anon.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.