Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Fun with Spellcheck! Chapter 1

Aerlinn
Lorien

Jul 13 2007, 11:16pm

Post #1 of 7 (288 views)
Shortcut
Fun with Spellcheck! Chapter 1 Can't Post

Spellcheck is not what you'd call familiar with Tolkien. Anyone who's written or reviewed just about anything from LotR (et al) on a Word document will have seen a page full of squiggly red lines, and probably got a good snortle or three out of what Spellcheck suggested as "corrections" for words not in its dictionary. (It didn't even give suggestions for entries like Alcarinquë, Akallabêth and Ainulindalë – it just sort of threw up its digital hands in despair.) Thus I give you: Fun with Spellcheck!

I did this once or twice a long time ago with a passage from LotR, but this time I figured I'd use a list of the entries from The Encyclopedia of Arda. I admit to choosing the funniest option offered, but I didn't make any of these up. Enjoy!

Adalgrim Took becomes Anagram Took
Adrahil, captain to Ondoher becomes Handrail, captain to Londoner
Aduial becomes Admiral
Adûnaic becomes Adenoid
Adurant becomes Adjutant
Aegnor becomes Avenger
Aeluin becomes Alvin
Aerandir becomes Abrader
Aerin becomes Airing (Sorry, Our Aerin!)
Agarwaen becomes Agrarian
Agathurush becomes Amateurish
Aghan becomes Afghan
Aglarond becomes Aileron
Aglon becomes Gallon
Aiglos becomes Anglos
Ailinel becomes Airline
Aiwendil becomes Airedale
Alatar becomes Avatar
Alatáriel becomes Alas Ariel
Alcarin, heir of Tar-Vanimeldë becomes Alarming, heir of Tar-Ganymede
Alcarondas becomes Jacarandas
Aldalómë becomes Alderwomen
Aldudénië becomes Albumenize
Aldúya becomes Latoya
Algund becomes Laguna
Almaida becomes Alameda
Almaren becomes Almoner
Almarian becomes Dalmatian
Almiel becomes Balmier
Alqualondë becomes Aquaplaned

(And just because: Here's that introduction…

Spellchecker is not what you'd call familiar with Talkies. Anyone who's written or reviewed just about anything from Looter (et al) on a Word document will have seen a page full of squiggly red lines, and probably got a good shortly or three out of what Spellchecker suggested as "corrections" for words not in its dictionary. (It didn't even give suggestions for entries like Alcarinquë, Akallabêth and Ainulindalë – it just sort of threw up its digital hands in despair.) Thus I give you: Fun with Spellchecker!

I did this once or twice a long time ago with a passage from Lott, but this time I figured I'd use a list of the entries from The Encyclopedia of Radar. I admit to choosing the funniest option offered, but I didn't make any of these up.)

Aerlinn's Law #17: "He who wants a rose must respect the thorn."
~~~~ Persian Proverb

"She who wants a Captain must respect the horn."
~~~B-Girl Proverb

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14 2007, 12:04am

Post #2 of 7 (72 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see the Encyclopedia of Radar entries for "Handrail, captain to Londoner" and "Alarming, heir of Tar-Ganymede" sometime! Laugh

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

GreenHeart
Rivendell

Jul 14 2007, 3:19am

Post #3 of 7 (51 views)
Shortcut
Oh, too funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the laugh. Cool

Radhruin
Rohan

Jul 14 2007, 6:33am

Post #4 of 7 (48 views)
Shortcut
These are cracking me up [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed quite a few "doozies" when spell-checking my posts, but to see them in alphabetical order is side-splitting. I always go to the Encyclopedia of Radar when the weather is bad. Never fails me.

Although I do remember when Latoya from somewhere.....Hmmmm. Forget it.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 14 2007, 10:51am

Post #5 of 7 (48 views)
Shortcut
Go linners!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Just seeing your subject line had me giddy with anticipation! I remember you enlightening us before with spellchecker stories :D

I know spellchecker drivers me crazy! These are painfully funny! Thanks m'dear!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Jul 16 2007, 4:24am

Post #6 of 7 (33 views)
Shortcut
Alarming, heir of Tar-Ganymede! [In reply to] Can't Post

That made my day. LOL!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Let’s put a larva-puncture in its belly.
http://pounce.skew.org/lotr/meetingtreebeard

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2007, 5:15pm

Post #7 of 7 (32 views)
Shortcut
Heeee! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is not related to Tolkien, but when our puppy dog was younger, a phrase we used sometimes was “walking the poopie” because he was a puppy, and we’d have to take him out to do his business. One day I sent UT an email from work saying I would be home late that evening, and he would have to walk the poopie. When I clicked “send”, spellchecker kicked in and asked if I wanted to change “poopie” to “potpie”. I accidentally clicked “yes”, and then it sent the document. UT was at first confused, but we had an especially good laugh at it because it just seemed appropriate to call the little guy The Potpie, especially since he was getting a little pudgy. Now, even though we have him at a good weight, the name has stuck, and we still call him The Potpie.

~~~~~~~~

Coming up with reasons for changing my nick from GaladrielTX to Galadriel wore me out.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.