Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- July 12, 2007

Miradan
Rivendell

Jul 12 2007, 10:37am

Post #1 of 7 (30 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- July 12, 2007 Can't Post

Good morning, fellow travellers! I trust all your walks are going well. Iíve been laid up a bit the past couple days due to a combination of heat outside and a cramped up leg, but Iím starting to get moving again. Iíd like to make it back to Minas Tirith by next Wednesday. We should have a nice weekend here, before really hot and humid weather returns.

From FOTR, ďA Conspiracy UnmaskedĒ:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
In glades beneath the misty fell,
Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day!

Donít forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursday mornings.

Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12 2007, 12:24pm

Post #2 of 7 (17 views)
Shortcut
Greetings all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ouch! Miradan! Heat and leg cramps... what a nasty way to spend the week!!

The Company I've been with are finally getting towards the end of the trail... for them, at least ;) We're approaching the Loudwater, but the trails a bit rough for the horses, so we're turning northeast. It's very fitting that we find we're back on the path the Fellowship followed when they left Rivendell last December.

I hope you continue to mend and that the cooler weather that moved into our neck of the woods yesterday reaches you VERY soon :)

Thanks for taking such good care of us, and cheers to our fellow travellers!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 12 2007, 1:51pm

Post #3 of 7 (16 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting closer! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're resting under the shade of the Stone Trolls and listening to Sam recite a little poetry.

I actually exceeded my daily goal yesterday, because I walked to lunch and to supper. But I've fallen short a lot, too, so I need to keep at it.

This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.

--Eeyore

http://mallika.vox.com/

Kethry
Lorien

Jul 12 2007, 4:44pm

Post #4 of 7 (16 views)
Shortcut
Nearly to Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a cold that prevented me from running, and then my parents were in and out of town, so I had to dog-sit. Once I get home to let the dog out, I have a hard time leaving the house again to go to the gym. But I think I might be getting back into the habit now. I didn't run yesterday because I was exhausted from staying up too late to see Harry Potter 5. I think last night I actually slept a solid 8 hours. I don't think that I've done that during the week for months.

But, in any case, we've been discussing the best way to go now that Redhorn stopped us. South, but through Moria or to the Gap of Rohan? I really need to go shopping, so I think I'll toss my vote that way. Smile

A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm, and the wind was in the South. Everything looked fresh, and the new green of Spring was shimmering in the fields and on the tips of the trees' fingers.
~ The Shadow of the Past, Book 1

Miradan
Rivendell

Jul 17 2007, 2:03am

Post #5 of 7 (5 views)
Shortcut
there are some great sales on right now. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

But the security wargs are killer!

Have fun in Moria -- interesting idea of proper hospitality they have there. . .

Miradan
Rivendell

Jul 17 2007, 2:11am

Post #6 of 7 (5 views)
Shortcut
Sam's poetry is always fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how much he wrote once he got home from the Quest for Mt Doom. I'm sure all those Gamgee kids would love hearing it!

Keep up the good work!

Miradan
Rivendell

Jul 17 2007, 2:13am

Post #7 of 7 (13 views)
Shortcut
Getting there [In reply to] Can't Post

Was feeling well enough to go swing dancing Thursday night, and am going again tomorrow.

I miss Elrond's house, I can't wait to make it back there.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.