Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Waitaminute ... "sons"?

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Jul 11 2007, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 6 (247 views)
Shortcut
Waitaminute ... "sons"? Can't Post

Just re-reading the Appendices again and noticed that it says when Merry and Pippin decided to go off and spend their last years in Gondor together, they left their offices to their "sons".

Now, as far as I know Pippin only had ONE son, and Merry never got married. So, where are these extra kids coming from? :)

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Letís put a larva-puncture in its belly.
http://pounce.skew.org/lotr/meetingtreebeard

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2007, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 6 (164 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry did marry: to Fatty Bolger's sister, Estella. The family trees do not list their children, but being Hobbits, it's been assumed they did have them. An interesting discussion of this seeming "oversight" on the part of Tolkien in not listing all of his or Pippin's progeny, can be found at the Barrow-downs discussion forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2007, 7:31pm

Post #3 of 6 (98 views)
Shortcut
Tuckborough.net also has [In reply to] Can't Post

made reference to Merry having one son, but no name is given. It's mentioned at the top of this page, then down near the bottom in the family tree.

http://www.tuckborough.net/merry.html

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

PrincessWhat
Bree

Jul 13 2007, 4:33am

Post #4 of 6 (38 views)
Shortcut
I love that site! [In reply to] Can't Post

tuckborough.net is a great resource and a fun read. Hadn't been there in a while, but every time I visit, I stay TOO LONG!

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Sep 4 2007, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 6 (8 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

1484 ....Meriadoc was then old (102) but still hale. He took counsel with his friend the Thain, and soon after they handed over their goods and offices to their sons and rode away over the Sarn Ford, and they were not seen again in the Shire.

I guess we have to accept Merry had a son at some point. And, in this case, Tolkien had to use the plural, sons. Something entirely different would be implicated had Tolkien wrote, "they handed over their goods and offices to their son"! Shocked

Seriously, since there's nothing else to go by, this is the one and only reference to Merry's son; too bad we don't get a name.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 4 2007, 4:21pm

Post #6 of 6 (12 views)
Shortcut
Not the Fatty Bolger from Jackson's adaptations... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope...

As old as that Fatty is, his sister must be ancient. Unless there was a huge difference in their ages.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.