Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2007, 6:52pm

Post #26 of 42 (57 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmm....thanks, gramma! (And perfect for weather like this...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2007, 8:48am

Post #27 of 42 (65 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 10 pt.2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today (sort of) in Middle-earth.

July 10, 3018 (S.R. 1418) pt.2
(from the appendices)
1. Gandalf imprisoned in Orthanc
..."'They took me and they set me alone on the pinnacle of Orthanc, in the place where Saruman was accustomed to watch the stars. There is no descent save by a narrow stair of many thousand steps, and the valley below seems far away. I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges. Wolves and orcs were housed in Isengard, for Saruman was mustering a great force on his own account, in rivalry of Sauron and not in his service yet. Over all his works a dark smoke hung and wrapped itself about the sides of Orthanc. I stood alone on an island in the clouds; and I had not chance of escape, and my days were bitter. I was pierced with cold, and I had but little room in which to pace to and fro, brooding on the coming of the Riders to the North.'
...'I saw you!' cried Frodo. 'You were walking backward and forwards. The moon shone in your hair.'
...Gandalf paused astonished and looked at him. 'It was only a dream,' said Frodo, 'but it suddenly came back to me. I had quite forgotten it. It came some time ago; after I left the Shire, I think.'
... 'Then it was late in coming,' said Gandalf, 'as you will see. I was in an evil plight. And those of you who know me will agree that I have seldom been in such need, and do not bear such misfortune well. Gandalf the Grey caught like a fly in a spider's treacherous web! Yet even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread.'"

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jul 11 2007, 11:27am

Post #28 of 42 (70 views)
Shortcut
Saruman was accustomed to watching the stars? [In reply to] Can't Post

"'They took me and they set me alone on the pinnacle of Orthanc, in the place where Saruman was accustomed to watch the stars."

I wonder how often Saruman watched the stars. Elves loved to watch the stars, as they revered Varda who kindled them. Saruman does not strike me as one who would be much concerned with looking up to the stars. He was the man of craft, and at one point Tolkien says he was the Istar chosen by Aule, the vala of craft. Varda, as a matter of fact, didn't seem to be all that fond of him, nor he of her, as she championed Gandalf as Galadriel was later to do. When Curomo was chosen to go first to Middle Earth, and Olorin last, she was the one who said "Not as the last," something Saruman remembered and probably brooded long on.

So I wonder about Saruman watching the stars, and what he might have thought about while he did. Was he resentful and defiant? Was he homesick and melancholy? Did he ever doubt his chosen couse while watching the stars? Did they rebuke him? Did he ever think about stretching out his hand to the West in supplication, as his spirit did once he was finally killed by Wormtongue? Did he imagine they had already rejected him?

And Gandalf on Orthanc - he paced back and forth, he was agitated, brooding and bitter. Did he ever think to look up to the stars for comfort? Did he think to ask for help? Manwe was watching him, for he sent the Eagles (even though the Valar do not interfere, usually). Poor Gandalf, thinking he was alone, and most irritated about how he had let Saruman get the best of him, Gandalf the Grey who prided himself on never getting caught in spiders' webs!

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2007, 1:09pm

Post #29 of 42 (62 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly a "late" dream [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo did not mention to Gandalf how that dream, during the first night of his stay with Bombadil, ended: the sound of hooves galloping, galloping from the East. He thought he was hearing Black Riders; but I believe that dream was telling him what had happened to Gandalf, and where he currently was - Shadowfax was bearing him swiftly towards the Shire!

"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2007, 1:13pm

Post #30 of 42 (65 views)
Shortcut
That does seem strange [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't it! Saruman the astrologer? Maybe when he first moved to Orthanc, his intent was reverent; but by this time, I think he was trying to "out-guess" what was happening in Middle-earth to his own advantage by seeing if there were any portent in Varda's stars.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2007, 4:12pm

Post #31 of 42 (62 views)
Shortcut
But this spider [In reply to] Can't Post

was one a friend and ally. I don't think he should be so hard on himself when it came to trusting Saruman. When you trust, it's 100%. Unconditional. So to berate himself for being caught isn't quite being fair to himself, imho.

I've always thought that Saruman watched the stars as part of his commune with Middle-earth and the Valar... but later probably did it to gain insight OVER what the elves may devine from them. Gathering information to manipulate if he could.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2007, 4:16pm

Post #32 of 42 (55 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* [In reply to] Can't Post

By jove! I think you're right! I just love that Frodo had that dream of Gandalf and showed the connection between them, and Frodo's insight. But you're absolutely right about the galloping! *massive smile* Way cool!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12 2007, 12:01pm

Post #33 of 42 (74 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

ummmm.... a sibbie pointed out to me that I was about to start on a new road; so I wanted to make this a special Book Spoiler post of the origin, history, and final version of my favourite poem...for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

Bilbo and Frodo's Poems on The Road

The Last Stage : The Hobbit (in June)

..."As all thing come to an end, even this story, a day came at last when they were in sight of the country where Bilbo had been born and bred, where the shapes of the land and of the trees were as well known to him as his hands and toes. Coming to a rise he could see his own Hill in the distance, and he stopped suddenly and said:

Roads go ever ever on,

Over rock and under tree,

By caves where never sun has shone,

By streams that never find the sea;

Over snow by winter sown,

And through the merry flowers of June,

Over grass and over stone,

And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on

Under cloud and under star,

Yet feet that wandering have gone

Turn at last to home afar.

Eyes that fire and sword have seen

And horror in the halls of stone

Look at last on meadows green

And trees and hills they long have known.

... Gandalf looked at him. "My dear Bilbo!" he said. "Something is the matter with you! You are not the hobbit that you were."

A Long-Expected Party (in September)

... 'Good-bye, for the present, Bilbo. Take care of yourself! You are old enough, and perhaps wise enough.'
... 'Take care! I don't care. Don't you worry about me! I am as happy now as I have ever been, and that is saying a great deal. But the time has come. I am being swept off my feet at last,' he added, and then in a low voice, as if to himself, he sang softly in the dark:

The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began,

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.

... He paused, silent for a moment. Then without another word he turned away from the lights and voices in the fields and tents, and followed by his three companions went around into his garden, and trotted down the long sloping path. He jumped over a low place in the hedge at the bottom, and took to the meadows, passing into the night like a rustle of wind in the grass.
... Gandalf remained for a while staring after him into the darkness. 'Good-bye, my dear Bilbo--until our next meeting!' he said softly and went back indoors.

Three Is Company (in September)

... 'The road goes on for ever,' said Pippin; 'but I can't without a rest. It is high time for lunch.' He sat down on the bank at the side of the road and looked away east into the haze, beyond which lay the River, and the end of the Shire in which he had spent all his life. Sam stood by him. His round eyes were wide open--for he was looking across lands he had never seen to a new horizon.
... 'Do Elves live in those woods?' he asked.
... 'Not that I ever heard,' said Pippin. Frodo was silent. He too was gazing eastward along the road, as if he had never seen it before. Suddenly he spoke, aloud but as if to himself, saying slowly:

Down from the door where it began.

Pursuing it with weary feet,

Until it joins some larger way,

And wither then? I cannot say.

... 'That sounds like a bit of old Bilbo's rhyming,' said Pippin. 'Or is it one of your imitations? It does not sound altogether encouraging.'
... 'I don't know,' said Frodo. 'It came to me then as if I was making it up; but I may have heard it long ago. Certainly it reminds me very much of Bilbo in the last years, before he went away. He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to. Do you realize that this is the very path that goes through Mirkwood, and that if you let it, it might take you to the Lonely Mountain or even further and to worse places?" He used to say that on the path outside the front door at Bag End, especially after he had been out for a long walk.'
... 'Well, the Road won't sweep me anywhere for an hour at least,' said Pippin, unslinging his pack. The others followed his example, putting their packs against the bank and their legs out into the road. After a rest they had a good lunch, and then more rest.

Three Is Company (in September)

... They began to hum softly, as hobbits have a way of doing as they walk along, especially when they are drawing near to home at night. With most hobbits is a supper-song or a bed-song; but these hobbits hummed a walking-song (though not, of course, without any mention of supper and bed). Bilbo Baggins had made the words to a tune that was as old as the hills, and taught it to Frodo as they walked in the lanes of the Water-valley and talked about Adventure.

Upon the hearth the fire is red,

Beneath the roof there is a bed;

But not yet weary are our feet,

Still round the corner we may meet

A sudden tree or standing stone

That none have seen but we alone.

.........................Tree and flower and leaf and grass,

.................Let them pass! Let them pass!

.......Hill and water under sky

..............Pass them by! Pass them by!

Still round the corner there may wait

A new road or a secret gate,

And though we pass them by today,

And take the hidden paths that run

Towards the moon or to the Sun.

...............................Apple, thorn, and nut and sloe,

........................Let them go! Let them go!

.................................Sand and stone and pool and dell

...........................Fare you well! Fare you well!

Home is behind, the world ahead,

And there are many paths to tread

Through shadows to the edge of night,

Until the stars are all alight.

Then world behind and home ahead,

We'll wander back to home and bed.

..........................Mist and twilight, cloud and shade,

.........................Away shall fade! Away shall fade!

..........................Fire and lamp, and meat and bread,

.........................And then to bed! And then to bed!

Many Partings (in September)

... 'I evidently came back by much too straight a road from my trip. I think Gandalf might have shown me round a bit. But then the auction would have been over before I got back, and I should have had even more trouble than I did. Anyway it's too late now; and really I think it's much more comfortable to sit here and hear about it all. The fire's very cosy here, and the food's very good, and there are Elves when you want them. What more could one want?

Out from the door where it began.

Let others follow it who can!

Let them a journey new begin,

But I at last with weary feet

Will turn towards the lighted inn,

My evening-rest and sleep to meet.'

... And as Bilbo murmured the last words his head dropped on his chest and he slept soundly.

The Grey Havens (in September)

... It was evening, and the stars were glimmering in the eastern sky as they passed the ruined oak and turned and went on down the hill between the hazel-thickets. Sam was silent, deep in his memories. Presently he became aware that Frodo was singing softly to himself, singing the old walking-song, but the words were not quite the same.

[The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Pursuing it with weary feet,

Until it joins some larger way,

And wither then? I cannot say.]

Still round the corner there may wait

A new road or secret gate;

And though I oft have passed them by,

A day will come at last when I

Shall take the hidden paths that run

West of the Moon, East of the Sun."

sample sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 12 2007, 12:06pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2007, 12:23pm

Post #34 of 42 (55 views)
Shortcut
gramma, where did you get [In reply to] Can't Post

that wonderful drawing of Frodo?

The Road goes ever on! These poems are so simple, yet so touching: they speak of both the wonder of travel, and the comfort of home. Thank you for putting them all together - this is a copy-and-keeper!

And as you travel down your "new road", may the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12 2007, 6:07pm

Post #35 of 42 (64 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for the wonderful tribute :)

The artist is Andrew Fry. He's amazing!! Here are some of his other sketches:

Boromir brooding
Weathertop

Sam

Pippin

Galadriel

Gimli

Legolas

Gandalf

Frodo

Frodo and Sam

Eowyn

Faramir

Bilbo

Arwen

Aragorn

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2007, 7:40pm

Post #36 of 42 (58 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! He does have some skill with a pencil, doesn't he Smile!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13 2007, 9:12am

Post #37 of 42 (51 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's visit a Book Spoiler on "a little bird told me"... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Gathering of the Clouds: The Hobbit

... "Suddenly Bilbo pointed: "There is that old thrush again!" he cried. "He seems to have escaped, when Smaug smashed the mountain-side, but I don't suppose the snails have!"
... Sure enough the old thrush was there, and as Bilbo pointed, he flew towards them and perched on a stone near by. Then he fluttered his wings and sang; then he cocked his head on one side, as if to listen; and again he sang, and again he listened.
... "I believe he is trying to tell us something," said Balin; "but I cannot follow the speech of such birds, it is very quick and difficult. Can you make it out Baggins?"
... "Not very well," said Bilbo (as a matter of fact, he could make nothing of it at all); "but the old fellow seems very excited."
... "I only wish he was a raven!" said Balin.
... "I thought you did not like them! You seemed very shy of them, when we came this way before."
... "Those were crows! And nasty suspicious-looking creatures at that, and rude as well. You must have heard the ugly names they were calling after us. But the ravens are different. There used to be great friendship between them and the people of Thrr; and they often brought us secret news, and were rewarded with such bright things as they coveted to hide in their dwellings.
... "They live many a year, and their memories are long, and they hand on their wisdom to their children. I knew many among the ravens of the rocks when I was a dwarf-lad. This very height was once named Ravenhill, because there was a wise and famous pair, old Carc and his wife, that lived here above the guard-chamber. But I don't suppose that any of that ancient breed linger here now."
... No sooner had he finished speaking than the old thrush gave a loud call, and immediately flew away.
... "We may not understand him, but that old bird understands us, I am sure," said Balin. "Keep watch now, and see what happens!"
... Before long there was a fluttering of wings, and back came the thrush; and with him came a most decrepit old bird. He was getting blind, he could hardly fly, and the top of his head was bald. He was an aged raven of great size. He alighted stiffly on the ground before them, slowly flapped his wings, and bobbed towards Thorin.
... "O Thorin son of Thrain, and Balin son of Fundin," he croaked (and Bilbo could understand what he said, for he used ordinary language and not bird-speech). "I am Roc son of Carc. Carc is dead, but he was well known to you once. It is a hundred years and three and fifty since I came out of the egg, but I do not forget what my father told me. Now I am the chief of the great ravens of the Mountain. We are few, but we remember still the king that was of old. Most of my people are abroad, for there are great tidings in the Southsome are tidings of joy to you, and some you will not think so good.
... "Behold! the birds are gathering back again to the Mountain and to Dale from South and East and West, for word has gone out that Smaug is dead!"
... "Dead! Dead?" shouted the dwarves. "Dead! Then we have been in needless fearand the treasure is ours!" They all sprang up and began to caper about for joy.

... "Yes, dead," said Roc. "The thrush, may his feathers never fall, saw him die, and we may trust his words. He saw him fall in battle with the men of Esgaroth the third night back from now at the rising of the moon.""

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2007, 12:35pm

Post #38 of 42 (45 views)
Shortcut
"May his feathers never fall" [In reply to] Can't Post

A clever variation, that, on "May the hair on your toes never fall out"!

Just as Beorn has a way with animals, so the Dwarves must have ages ago developed some sort of communication ability with birds. This reminds me of the "hoot twice like a barn-owl and once like a screech-owl" instructions they gave to Bilbo earlier! They all know bird-speech, and, in the usual Dwarvish conceit, they assumed everyone else should understand what a thrush or raven (or crow) is saying.

What is amazing is that Roac has learned "common speech", even though that area has had very few people in it for a long time. I wonder if his parents taught him, in preparation for the day when that saying about the "thrush knocking" (which obviously all those birds knew about!) would actually happen, and that skill would most likely be needed?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13 2007, 2:27pm

Post #39 of 42 (45 views)
Shortcut
Sorta like [In reply to] Can't Post

People manning the beacons through Gondor/Rohan for the "someday" that could come along.

It's always struck me funny that the dwarves would have such a relationship with ANY creature outside their mountains and caverns, let alone birds! You'd think they'd befriend moles, or bats, or slugs... but then, they're pretty slow or limited when it comes to being messengers to far-away lands ;)

"Hurry up, you slug-guard!"

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2007, 3:08pm

Post #40 of 42 (42 views)
Shortcut
*chuckles* [In reply to] Can't Post

"Slug-guard"! Isn't that what they call the Orc who's in charge of the maggoty bread? Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 14 2007, 10:21am

Post #41 of 42 (47 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Book Spoiler of another Road Trip... but not much fun, it seems... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

Of the Flight of the Noldor: The Simarillion

"But even as the trumpet sang and Fanor issued from the gates of Tirion a messenger came at last from Manw, saying: 'Against the folly of Fanor shall be set my counsel only. Go not forth! For the hour is evil, and your road leads to sorrow that ye do not foresee. No aid will the Valar lend you in this quest; but neither will they hinder you; for this ye shall know: as ye came hither freely, freely shall ye depart. But thou Fanor Finw's son, by thine oath art exiled. The lies of Melkor thou shalt unlearn in bitterness. Vala he is, thou saist. Then thou hast sworn in vain, for none of the Valar canst thou overcome now or ever within the halls of E, not though Eru whom thou namest had made thee thrice greater than thou art.'
But Fanor laughed, and spoke not to the herald, but to the Noldor, saying: 'So! Then will this valiant people send forth the heir of their King alone into banishment with his sons only, and return to their bondage? But if any will come with me, I say to them: Is sorrow foreboded to you? But in Aman we have seen it. In Aman we have come through bliss to woe. The other now we will try: through sorrow to find joy; or freedom, at the least.'
Then turning to the herald he cried: 'Say this to Manw Slimo, High King of Arda: if Fanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!'

In that hour the voice of Fanor grew so great and so potent that even the herald of the Valar bowed before him as one full-answered, and departed; and the Noldor were over-ruled. Therefore they continued their march; and the House of Fanor hastened before them along the coasts of Elend: not once did they turn their eyes back to Tirion on the green hill of Tna. Slower and less eagerly came the host of Fingolfin after them. Of those Fingon was the foremost; but at the rear went Finarfin and Finrod, and many of the noblest and wisest of the Noldor; and often they looked behind them to see their fair city, until the lamp of the Mindon Eldaliva was lost in the night. More than any others of the Exiles they carried thence memories of the bliss they had forsaken, and some even of the things that they had made there they took with them: a solace and a burden on the road."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14 2007, 12:08pm

Post #42 of 42 (44 views)
Shortcut
It will be a long, long road indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Galadriel being one of those who constantly looked back; I wonder what she brought with her, from the place of her birth...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.