The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Trilogy Screening in Toronto

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 30 2011, 8:46pm

Post #1 of 10 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Trilogy Screening in Toronto Can't Post

One Ringer sends this in: There's going to be a trilogy screening in Toronto, Ontario on February 5th at the Scotiabank Theatre. It begins at 12:00 noon. [FOTR] [TTT] [ROTK]

Junesong
Rohan

Jan 31 2011, 4:40am

Post #2 of 10 (683 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to this! [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife and I are going for my birthday! (29!)

We're thinking of skipping the Two Towers though... should I even admit that in a place like this?

If any TORNers are there I'll be wearing my favorite black hoodie sweatshirt. It has a yellow dragonfly on it and says "Coheed and Cambria" feel free to come over and say hi!

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2011, 2:49pm

Post #3 of 10 (694 views)
Shortcut
I really hope I can make it... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it's a bit of a drive and would warrant a weekend stay (or atleast overnight), and with how sudden this is I might not be able to go. It would completely make me happy to finally see them on the big screen, even if it is a digital projection. Tongue

"Oh, the cleverness of me."

Conoro

Jan 31 2011, 7:49pm

Post #4 of 10 (746 views)
Shortcut
LotR Canadian Screenings [In reply to] Can't Post

For anyone who lives in Ottawa, there will also be a trilogy screening at Silvercity (along with Fight Club, The Goonies, and others) as part of this new festival that they are hosting.

http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDetails/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Presented-at-the-Great-Digital-Film-Festival-2011.aspx

raynbowelf
The Shire

Feb 1 2011, 7:43pm

Post #5 of 10 (731 views)
Shortcut
You should go to TT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"My wife and I are going for my birthday! (29!)

We're thinking of skipping the Two Towers though... should I even admit that in a place like this?

If any TORNers are there I'll be wearing my favorite black hoodie sweatshirt. It has a yellow dragonfly on it and says "Coheed and Cambria" feel free to come over and say hi!"

You should go to it. I felt the same way on the 22nd in Hollywood. But I stayed, and I'm glad I did! I hadn't seen this one for a while, and it was really great on the big screen. Is this going to be the EE? I hope so, for your sake.

raynbow

(This post was edited by raynbowelf on Feb 1 2011, 7:45pm)

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 3 2011, 3:44pm

Post #6 of 10 (650 views)
Shortcut
lucky begger [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wishing for years to have a screening in my city of Halifax, but nothing yet. I hope you enjoy your visit to Middle Earth on the big screen! Nuradar

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 3 2011, 6:19pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2011, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 10 (717 views)
Shortcut
It just takes the falling of small stones [In reply to] Can't Post

Try contacting a local theater and seeing what it would take for them to host one. gramma did it in her town and we have yearly screenings in Minneapolis. You can make it happen instead of waiting for it to happen.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 4 2011, 4:17pm

Post #8 of 10 (576 views)
Shortcut
I tried this where I live [In reply to] Can't Post

Two times - their response was "we have no such plans"

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2011, 4:45pm

Post #9 of 10 (753 views)
Shortcut
well... that answer seems to indicate... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the question was, "Will you be doing a trilogy showing?"

What I'm suggesting is saying, "I'd like to work with you to organize a trilogy showing."

It's possible you did say this and it's possible that even if you did say this 'next time' the answer would still be no. But sometimes the answer is yes.

I can't speak much for gramma's experience but she did talk about the legwork she did for the show she helped schedule. It might be as simple as finding the right theater. We are lucky to have many options for movies here and the trilogy is shown at a house that is not a large multi-plex chain owned theater. I would say you'd have better luck with one of these independents than with the chains (who may not be able to schedule special viewings)

How about college venues? Any place that handles special screenings of movies? (charity events? local independent filmmakers? Film festivals?)

Maybe you need to provide evidence that there is an audience. Can you think of ways to meet up with/organize Tolkien fans in your area?

I think there are probably strategies that could be developed. It sounds like a worthy discussion thread to gather ideas that could even, perhaps, be developed into a post on the Home Page.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Feb 7 2011, 4:08pm

Post #10 of 10 (746 views)
Shortcut
aaargh [In reply to] Can't Post

Why have I not been checking *this* forum?!? I wasn't even working Saturday :(

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.