Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Sauron vs. Screwtape (From C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters)

SwimIrish
The Shire

Jan 14 2011, 2:43am

Post #1 of 11 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Sauron vs. Screwtape (From C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters) Can't Post

In a battle of tempting others. No Combat. I know its a strange comparison but seeing J.R.R. Tolkien vs. C.S. Lewis gave me the idea.

"So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jan 16 2011, 9:06pm

Post #2 of 11 (284 views)
Shortcut
Combat... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron.

As far as a mental battle I think Screwtape would probably win. All he'd have to do is tell Sauron how hungry he was and that they'd have to finish this discussion later. Then when Sauron came back he'd tell him how tired he was and how he really shouldn't stress his giant eyeball out. Laugh

That is an interesting thought though. *thumbs up*Smile

Roast chicken?!

You're taller. Who? You. Then what? Then me! I've always been taller than you. Pippin, everyone knows you're the short one. I'm the tall one. Please Merry. Your what? Three foot six at the most. Whereas I'm pushing three seven. Three eight! Three foot eight! You did something.

It's Latin. Loosely translated, it means... we cheat.

"Strange treasures in this fair world appear, strange all, and new to me." That is a poem by Thomas Traherne and I have absolutely no idea what it's about. But, when I was small I was made to learn it by heart so I don't see why you shouldn't suffer too.

"Tell me, where is Santa for I much desire to speak with him."
-Darkstone

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jan 18 2011, 2:57am

Post #3 of 11 (365 views)
Shortcut
I say Screwtape... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to me that Screwtape could get way farther than Sauron.

Bustin' makes me feel good!!

I do believe if our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his fingernails.

Have you heard nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves and their elf
instigators?

The dark spybot will not avail you, flame of Ubuntu!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2011, 9:13pm

Post #4 of 11 (388 views)
Shortcut
In a way they are brothers.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Satan = Morgoth
Screwtape a demon / Sauron a "fallen maia / angel = essentially a demon"

Screwtape is similar to a younger Sauron when he was still fair appearing but gave corrupted counsel to
Ar Pharazon etc. Screwtape remains a high clerk of sorts in Hell's bureaucracy (I can never spell this...always have to look it up!) whereas Sauron graduated to make a run for lordship of the earth. At some point, Sauron would slap down Screwtape....enough talk! Time for direct action!

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 23 2011, 10:41pm

Post #5 of 11 (271 views)
Shortcut
Really now..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if any of you have ever come up against a REAL Screwtape in your life?

They're out there & have come to kill, steal & destroy...It's no laughing matter & Sauron's just a figment of somebody's imagination.

Screwtape would in hands down.

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 1:39pm

Post #6 of 11 (165 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

After all that's what "temptation" is all about right? Tell him/her that she will only look at it for a second. It's totally harmless... Right?Smile It's only fiction because the names aren't strait from real life.

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilė.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 1:55pm

Post #7 of 11 (140 views)
Shortcut
Not Quite [In reply to] Can't Post

Screwtape is a parable for real demonic activity that is all around us...

If you haven't encountered it, it's simply because you aren't spiritually awake, I.e., you haven't experienced the second birth that Jesus tells Nicodemous about in John Chapter 3 ~ "You must be born again".

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 1:58pm

Post #8 of 11 (134 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree// [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 2:36pm

Post #9 of 11 (165 views)
Shortcut
oh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I must have misunderstood...

Lol.....

One does see MANY parables of Satan in Tolkiens writings however....

Not so obvious & ministering as CS Lewis & Screwtape, But more parabolic in nature...

Morgoth as the fallen Lucifer in the creation story in Ainulindale for certain: trying to usurp Illuvator's glory & carrying away some of the Ainur with him in his fall.

Sauron, most certainly in the Fall of Numenor, tempting Ar-Pharazon to 'defy the Gods' ~ very Adamic & Noahic in nature.

of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg in Tolkien's Christian 'parables' in Middle-earth and TLOR in particular, which Tolkien calls ' basically a religious and Catholic work' in one of his letters.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 2:54pm

Post #10 of 11 (740 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha *hehe* // [In reply to] Can't Post

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 2 2013, 3:08pm

Post #11 of 11 (53 views)
Shortcut
sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.