Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Ancalagon vs. Smaug

Airaloske
The Shire

Nov 26 2010, 6:50pm

Post #1 of 14 (4462 views)
Shortcut
Ancalagon vs. Smaug Can't Post

My money's on Ancalagon. He's bigger. It'd be a WHOMP-SPLAT-TOAST victory.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Nov 27 2010, 10:59pm

Post #2 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Ancalagon. Besides Smaug has the hole on his chest:-).// [In reply to] Can't Post

Roast chicken?!

You're taller. Who? You. Then what? Then me! I've always been taller than you. Pippin, everyone knows you're the short one. I'm the tall one. Please Merry. Your what? Three foot six at the most. Whereas I'm pushing three seven. Three eight! Three foot eight! You did something.

It's Latin. Loosely translated, it means... we cheat.

"Strange treasures in this fair world appear, strange all, and new to me." That is a poem by Thomas Traherne and I have absolutely no idea what it's about. But, when I was small I was made to learn it by heart so I don't see why you shouldn't suffer too.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 30 2010, 9:07am

Post #3 of 14 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Smaug is cooler // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Dec 7 2010, 6:56pm

Post #4 of 14 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Ya smaug is cool but [In reply to] Can't Post

our other contender was supposed to the worst dragon in history. My battle: death smaug.

Rest in peace RonniePhotobucket

(This post was edited by TheNazgul on Dec 7 2010, 6:58pm)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Dec 8 2010, 1:24am

Post #5 of 14 (3393 views)
Shortcut
Well if this were a modeling contest I'm sure Smaug would win then. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Roast chicken?!

You're taller. Who? You. Then what? Then me! I've always been taller than you. Pippin, everyone knows you're the short one. I'm the tall one. Please Merry. Your what? Three foot six at the most. Whereas I'm pushing three seven. Three eight! Three foot eight! You did something.

"Strange treasures in this fair world appear, strange all, and new to me." That is a poem by Thomas Traherne and I have absolutely no idea what it's about. But, when I was small I was made to learn it by heart so I don't see why you shouldn't suffer too.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2010, 7:08am

Post #6 of 14 (3785 views)
Shortcut
LOL... yeah... ol'd Smaug is quite the dandy Dragon... [In reply to] Can't Post

... "Oh look at my beautiful wings"... "Oh get a load of my spiky tail"... "And by the way have you noticed my jewel-encrusted belly?" Sly

I'm sure he'd gloat over his own WETA polystone collectible Tongue

(This post was edited by Earl on Dec 8 2010, 7:09am)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Dec 10 2010, 2:26am

Post #7 of 14 (3504 views)
Shortcut
"He can't take his eye off it." [In reply to] Can't Post

Roast chicken?!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2010, 3:41am

Post #8 of 14 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Smaug.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know who or what this Ancalagon (calgon take me away!) is....so I'm going with the old Dragon from Le Hobbit. Smaug! Done! Zip, Zip, bye-bye!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Airaloske
The Shire

Dec 11 2010, 7:11pm

Post #9 of 14 (3338 views)
Shortcut
Ancalagon [In reply to] Can't Post

is the father of the winged dragons (according to TS anyway). He is also much bigger than Smaug, and would have been much older had he not been killed off. Ancalagon is also the name of a genus of prehistoric awkward-shaped worm.Not relevant to this thread, but an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2010, 8:36pm

Post #10 of 14 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Ah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have known! I thought maybe this was some creature from another universe! I have no recollection of this creature in the Sil....I misremembered I suppose....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2010, 9:34am

Post #11 of 14 (3326 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Smaug fanclub, Donry! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Evernight
Rivendell

Dec 21 2010, 11:24pm

Post #12 of 14 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Ancalagon... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was defeated by Eärendil over the skies of Beleriand.
Gandalf mentions him in FOTR:

"It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One."

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2011, 7:24am

Post #13 of 14 (3535 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't just about everything more powerful in Beleriand? [In reply to] Can't Post

Think of it... Morgoth vs Sauron, Fëanor vs. Elrond... Ancalagon gets my vote... it took both Thorondor and Vingilot to vanquish him!

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 26 2011, 8:57am

Post #14 of 14 (3525 views)
Shortcut
Cooler? [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you know Smaug is cooler than Ancalagon?

Ancalgon could be so cool he might make Smaug look like Richard Nixon compared to Ancalagon's James Dean.....

We just don't have Ancalagon's inside information.

Glaurung's cooler than Smaug anyhow. Wink

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.