Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are you short or tall enough for 'The Hobbit'?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PotbellyHairyfoot

Nov 19 2010, 9:38pm

Post #26 of 38 (590 views)
Shortcut
This is legit- but I still doubt the others from Trade-me [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll notice that the newspaper ad doesn't contain the same requirementss as the Trade-me ads.
It asks only for extras under a certain height, uses different age limits, and doesn't ask for any NBA players (How many 6'11" men live in NZ - and I don't recall anyone over 6'11" being used in LOTR )

You have to PAY to run a newspaper ad, but isn't Trade-me a free service that any practical joker can use?

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 2:52am

Post #27 of 38 (552 views)
Shortcut
trademe [In reply to] Can't Post

"You have to PAY to run a newspaper ad, but isn't Trade-me a free service that any practical joker can use?"

No, it isn't. And I'm pretty sure that trademe would be very, very careful about checking an ad. for The Hobbit.

Incidentally, if you have been reading the ads. carefully you might have noticed that the first 3 on trademe were obviously for Hobbit extras whereas the Auckland call seems to be for body-doubles.

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 7:08am

Post #28 of 38 (521 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, No... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought that I'd wish I were two inches shorter. Tongue It's so annoying! What kills me is that I have a friend who's 5'1 and looks like a hobbit, but she's not interested.

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 10:31am

Post #29 of 38 (543 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure that the 'short' requirement was 5'7" or shorter for men.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I could be wrong. Almost nobody is 6'11, so I'm thinking the tall-end requirement was probably closer to 5'11. I would assume that this would be their idea of a short Elvish and/or reasonably tall human male. Extras often get cast in more than one role for battlefield scenes. Tongue

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2010, 3:52pm

Post #30 of 38 (490 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear Rob... [In reply to] Can't Post

... here's hoping you can get a foothold in the industry beginning with The Hobbit. I'm sure it'll be a great experience, whatever it is, and the memories of being part of the production will stay with you forever.

Don't forget to let us know how things go... all the best! Smile

goodpun

Nov 21 2010, 9:17am

Post #31 of 38 (463 views)
Shortcut
Expedition to find the truth! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Auckland, I'm 5'6" (with a round, hobbit-y face to match), and I'm way too curious to find out if the Tauranga casting call from the BOP TImes is real!

Obviously I can't go for the Auckland casting call even though its 10 mins from my house because they're looking for uber tall and short people... even then I think the only possibly legit casting call could be the Tauranga one- its the only one we've heard of being in a newspaper when most of the others mysteriously disappeared from trademe with a comical "whoops!" message from the admin- surely not a carefully considered withdrawal from the production company of the Hobbit because they believed their ad had enough exposure to the right people, rather trademe realizing they had let fake casting calls slip through and that they had to withdraw them.

So what I want is other opinions: is it worth taking a road trip to Tauranga on Wednesday to potentially take part in a real casting call for this movie I'd love to be part of... OR is it just a hoax, am I wasting time and money on gas?

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 21 2010, 3:56pm

Post #32 of 38 (475 views)
Shortcut
Well about the only way to find out [In reply to] Can't Post

is to go there on Wednesday. Or, is there a phone number in the ad or call the newspaper?

goodpun

Nov 21 2010, 9:42pm

Post #33 of 38 (442 views)
Shortcut
good point [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no phone number on the newspaper ad (guess this makes sense- they'd be inundated with calls if they put a number on). But I could find a phone number for the newspaper and do some research that way.

goodpun

Nov 23 2010, 10:41am

Post #34 of 38 (401 views)
Shortcut
Here goes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I may not have called the newspaper for research into the truthfulness of this casting call ad but I am taking the road trip with a friend anyway! I will report back on all that happens.

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 24 2010, 5:37am

Post #35 of 38 (423 views)
Shortcut
Genuine [In reply to] Can't Post

The casting calls were genuine and have begun to take place, I never had any doubt

Rob

goodpun

Nov 24 2010, 10:10am

Post #36 of 38 (420 views)
Shortcut
Yes I see that now [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Rob. I went to the Tauranga casting call today and lined up with many hopefuls. I had been delayed in Auckland so arrived 45 mins late to the start of the process. After waiting in line for half an hour the back section of the line was sent home (including myself) but still with a chance to apply that we were told would not disadvantage us from those they were able to see that day. Despite the long travel, I still enjoyed attending what turned out to be a real casting call (I'm much more cynical than you Rob).

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2010, 11:07am

Post #37 of 38 (408 views)
Shortcut
Good for you and Rob, goodpun [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's fabulous that you decided to go ahead with the road trip. Wild horses wouldn't have kept me away. Now you have an interesting experience under your belt, plus still a chance to be considered.

Best of luck to both of you! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 25 2010, 7:56am

Post #38 of 38 (435 views)
Shortcut
Mystery!!!! Was it a hoax? [In reply to] Can't Post

This message appeared on the trademe link a few days ago
"Oops, there was a slip up!
This listing was withdrawn by the administrator"

One poster on the trademe Community>Message Board>General Discussion claims she attended but who knows if thats genuine.I've Googled but found no other reference... of course there has been one big event dominating the media here for the last week.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.