Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Gandalf vs Shelob

xy
Rohan

Nov 17 2010, 4:27pm

Post #1 of 11 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf vs Shelob Can't Post

In the alternate universe where Gandalf goes with Frodo and Sam...who would win this one ?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2010, 6:07pm

Post #2 of 11 (849 views)
Shortcut
Easily Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for the following reasons:

1. He's a Maia. Shelob isn't.
2. Following from 1 above, he could defeat a Balrog, a Maia, so a "creature", however monstrous, shouldn't be too much of a challenge.
3. Shelob was defeated by Sam, someone probably half Shelob's size, and one unaccustomed to fighting/weilding a sword. In contrast, Gandalf wouldn't find Shelob as big as Sam did, and additionally, he was a much more hardened fighter than Sam.

I wager Gandalf would be able to fight off Shelob (if not kill her altogether) without much damage to himself... certainly not as much damage as fighting the Balrog did him.

Just my thoughts though Smile

(This post was edited by Earl on Nov 17 2010, 6:08pm)

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Nov 18 2010, 5:43pm

Post #3 of 11 (796 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf, hands down.// [In reply to] Can't Post

So many are still waiting for their new beginning. Their birth by sleep. Even me, and even you.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 9:50pm

Post #4 of 11 (789 views)
Shortcut
Shelob if pie is involved. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise Gandalf.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 19 2010, 12:39am

Post #5 of 11 (771 views)
Shortcut
Roasty toasty spider!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 19 2010, 2:16am

Post #6 of 11 (1479 views)
Shortcut
I am never eating again. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2010, 6:17pm

Post #7 of 11 (712 views)
Shortcut
Walk in the park for Gandy // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Finrod Felagund 5
The Shire

Nov 23 2010, 7:21pm

Post #8 of 11 (804 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf would win, BUT [In reply to] Can't Post

In that alternate universe, there would probably be no actual fight because Gandalf's coming with Frodo and Sam would have made it almost impossible to get into Mordor without Sauron knowing about it. Sauron and his forces always seemed to keep an eye on Gandalf and what he was up to, which is why Gandalf and Aragorn (another who Sauron was worried about) stuck together and feigned to attack the Black Gates. The reason for the success of Frodo and Sam was their anonymity, which Gandalf speaks of many times. It would be very hard to sneak in with Gandalf considering that he was the second most powerful being in Middle-earth and he had one of the three elven rings. Since Sauron never touched those rings he couldn't ever be sure who had them, but I figure he had a pretty good idea. As it was Frodo and Sam only just succeeded, and even that never would have happened without Gollum. So while Gandalf, either Grey or White, could in my opinion defeat Shelob with relative ease if it were just the two of them, I believe Gandalf being along for the journey with Sam and Frodo would have made it nearly impossible to destroy the Ring and defeat Sauron.

Eruedraith
The Shire

Dec 6 2010, 3:40am

Post #9 of 11 (804 views)
Shortcut
Breaking my stalker's silence to say this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, no problem. Gandalf was able to face down a freaking Balrog, even if it was at the cost of his own life. I'm fairly sure that he could take down Ms. Spider down with few problems.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2010, 3:38am

Post #10 of 11 (968 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even close! Gandalf torches the big mean spidey.....sizzle, sizzle...bye-bye!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 26 2011, 8:49am

Post #11 of 11 (816 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Sam could beat Shelob, do you think Gandalf would lose?

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.