Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Correct me if I'm wrong

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 17 2010, 11:07am

Post #1 of 14 (643 views)
Shortcut
Correct me if I'm wrong Can't Post

But they'd have asked the returning cast members if they'd like to be back before script writing, so they could write a script round it if they choose not to return.

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

PettyMim
Rivendell

Nov 17 2010, 12:11pm

Post #2 of 14 (328 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it very much because they couldn't have offered contracts until recently [In reply to] Can't Post

and so they would have been foolish to write a script that HAD to have the same actor because there would be no guarantee that they would be available / willing once a contract could eventually be offered. If it turned out that Andy, Ian, Kate, Hugo (or anybody else) were unavailable for the Hobbit then I'm sure they wouldn't alter the script, but rather just locate other suitable actors.

Garlic Bread?!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2010, 1:35pm

Post #3 of 14 (262 views)
Shortcut
For me, the story is more important than the actors [In reply to] Can't Post

and I would prefer that the script is written without regard to what actors play the role.

There is a logistical problem, also. The budget for the movie is driven by the script, so without a script it's impossible to know how much money has to be allocated to salaries for the actors. The actors are hired by the studio after the script is complete and the budget is approved.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2010, 3:54pm

Post #4 of 14 (266 views)
Shortcut
I think the potential actors [In reply to] Can't Post

should always be taken into account by the screenwriters. That way the script can play to the actors' strengths, and hopefully make a better film. I'm talking about things like dialogue and characterisation here the storytelling structure itself shouldn't be made to fit around the actors.

One current example is At the Mountains of Madness. Guillermo del Toro has written a part specifically for Ron Perlman, so you can bet that the script and the actor will be a perfect match... but it will be quite a shame if Perlman doesn't get the part, since he's really the only one for it.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 17 2010, 4:15pm

Post #5 of 14 (246 views)
Shortcut
Remember that [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian McKellen was given the first script over a year ago... they had him in mind

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2010, 4:45pm

Post #6 of 14 (265 views)
Shortcut
And Andy Serkis and Hugo Weaving... [In reply to] Can't Post

All three of them have obviously been in contact with the production company since the film first seemed to be getting off the ground two? three? years ago. And Peter Jackson was reported to have said at the outset that they would use the same actors for repeated roles. I think we have to assume that since at least two of them - Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis - have said that they're ready and willing, and Hugo Weaving was certainly lined up to do it a year or so ago - the likelihood is that they will, and that this was always the plan.

There must be so much to sort out at the moment.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 17 2010, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 14 (224 views)
Shortcut
Umm [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't Hugo Weaving on record a while back saying that absolutely no one had contacted him about returning for The Hobbit?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for November

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 17 2010, 5:42pm

Post #8 of 14 (228 views)
Shortcut
I would say [In reply to] Can't Post

In the case of the Hobbit: there might be a bit of unofficial and informal contact.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2010, 7:26pm

Post #9 of 14 (199 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about some comments that were made a year or more ago, when Guillermo was still directing. He said Hugo Weaving would be returning:

http://www.theonering.net/...turn-for-the-hobbit/

And there was this interview in which Hugo Weaving sounded willing to reprise Elrond and said he understood they were interested in casting him:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 7:17am

Post #10 of 14 (59 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure they would have been asked back a long time ago, just because it would make no sense to replace most of them. Given the uncertainty of early casting, I don't think the idea of writing the screenplay in relation to the actors would have been much of a consideration. It's too easy for plans to change.

merlwynd
Rivendell

Nov 20 2010, 9:31am

Post #11 of 14 (74 views)
Shortcut
nah [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon gandalf will be the only main returning character. Naturally they would want him back. Other characters are smaller.........

MERLWYND
Bard's case to Thorin

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 10:04am

Post #12 of 14 (45 views)
Shortcut
Re: nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, but they are also expanding several characters. Crazy It wouldn't be exactly stupid to bring back Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving if they insist on the White Council storyline, though I still don't approve of that little plotline addition.

merlwynd
Rivendell

Nov 20 2010, 10:21am

Post #13 of 14 (46 views)
Shortcut
who know [In reply to] Can't Post

but the one important fact is that we are not the film makers - its their choice.....i will enjoy it no matter peoples opinions

MERLWYND
Bard's case to Thorin

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 10:34am

Post #14 of 14 (109 views)
Shortcut
who know [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, but that will not stop the fun of speculating. Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.