Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How many Hobbits will be in the film?

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 17 2010, 5:00am

Post #1 of 24 (735 views)
Shortcut
How many Hobbits will be in the film? Can't Post

Since there have been 4 casting calls for Feb. 2011 filming we have to assume that a number of Hobbits are needed. But very few feature in the book.
Apart from Bilbo there are references to 3 (all deceased) at the beginning. Then at the end he and Gandalf arrive at Bag-End mid auction.
So what, or rather who are we going to see?

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Nov 17 2010, 5:28am

Post #2 of 24 (412 views)
Shortcut
thronging hobbits at the auction when they arrive home to Bag End. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 17 2010, 7:13am

Post #3 of 24 (417 views)
Shortcut
These are extras. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are people who can be dressed and made up to look like Hobbits, but have no speaking parts. Think FotR EE Prologie, "Concerning Hobbits" and the Party. They need however many for the auction, plus possibly some number at the beginning. Don't worry about it!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Nov 17 2010, 7:14am)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2010, 1:06pm

Post #4 of 24 (389 views)
Shortcut
Has it been confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

that Primula and Drogo have been written into the script, or is that still just a rumour?

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2010, 2:36pm

Post #5 of 24 (353 views)
Shortcut
Rumour, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

... based on stories emanating from the auditions. It depends what counts as confirmation, I suppose.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 17 2010, 4:17pm

Post #6 of 24 (338 views)
Shortcut
More than rumours [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the actress who sent pictures of her autitioning for Primula did it to spread a false rumour.

And we've heard many signs of that Drogo will be in it, too.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2010, 4:46pm

Post #7 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just, I don't know what people actually take as confirmation. There hasn't been an official announcement about the roles, that's what I meant.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Nov 17 2010, 10:18pm

Post #8 of 24 (250 views)
Shortcut
As many as it takes [In reply to] Can't Post

To make Hobbiton look like it's actually inhabited.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 8:22am

Post #9 of 24 (230 views)
Shortcut
And. of course...... [In reply to] Can't Post

They had better include the Sackville-Bagginses. Lobelia made for some great comic relief. Tongue

(This post was edited by StarElf on Nov 18 2010, 8:22am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18 2010, 8:31am

Post #10 of 24 (225 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, I think the actress who played her in FOTR passed away... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I need to confirm it. I'm quite sure, but not entirely.

Welcome to TORn by the way Smile

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 8:42am

Post #11 of 24 (213 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome, Earl! I'm very glad to be here.

I checked IMDB, and you are correct. :( That's very sad about Elizabeth Moody, but I'm sure they could find a suitable actress to play the younger Lobelia. It wouldn't make or break the movie, but I think it'd just be fun to see her if they decide to film the auction scene.HeartEvil

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 10:53am

Post #12 of 24 (196 views)
Shortcut
Somehow I can't imagine Lobelia being young... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I agree that it would be fun to see her in the film.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2010, 2:07pm

Post #13 of 24 (190 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth Moody [In reply to] Can't Post

would have been far too old to play the sixty-years-younger Lobelia. They'd have needed to recast her anyway, just like Ian Holm.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2010, 4:19pm

Post #14 of 24 (173 views)
Shortcut
Yes Earl [In reply to] Can't Post

She passed away roughly 6 months ago

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 5:08pm

Post #15 of 24 (166 views)
Shortcut
I would bet, at least one.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 5:40pm

Post #16 of 24 (154 views)
Shortcut
I think your money's safe on that one, Kangi! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 18 2010, 7:13pm

Post #17 of 24 (171 views)
Shortcut
there will be [In reply to] Can't Post

a handfull of extras.

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

Patty
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 7:53pm

Post #18 of 24 (136 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly, Garfeimao, [In reply to] Can't Post

and since they have made even more hobbit holes (what did I hear, 5 more?) hopefully this tells us about what they will be leaving in from the books, and that they'll spend more time there.

The realms of men don't interest me nearly as much as Hobbiton and the elven realms.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2010, 12:02pm

Post #19 of 24 (112 views)
Shortcut
I expect there will be about thirty extras. [In reply to] Can't Post

That should be enough hobbits to fill out the scenes where Gandalf rides into Hobbiton and the Sackville-Bagginses hold the auction.

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 6:59am

Post #20 of 24 (98 views)
Shortcut
Primuly and Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it's The Hobbit, it'd make more sense to show Bungo and Belladonna. Crazy That's just being so nitpicky, though. Seriously, with all due respect to the characters, I don't even think they should be in the movie.

( And if they are making Primula and Drogo into Bilbo's parents, then I will seriously die. )

(This post was edited by StarElf on Nov 20 2010, 7:01am)

dreamflower
Lorien

Nov 22 2010, 3:45pm

Post #21 of 24 (83 views)
Shortcut
Gathering of the hobbits. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, IF they want to set up Bilbo's future relationship to Frodo, they might have a brief scene of Bilbo visiting with Drogo and Primula (who might be newlyweds in the movie). Timeline-wise it would be uncanonical as Primula would have been far too young to be married, but PJ's shown he doesn't mind screwing with a timeline. They could also have brief flashback scenes of Bilbo remembering home while he's gone on his journey-- that's something else PJ doesn't seem to mind doing.

The same problem arises with Otho and Lobelia-- they'd pretty much have to be newlyweds or marry while Bilbo was gone (my theory)* as they were both underage when Bilbo was on his Adventure.

At any rate, there would not be any problem in PJ setting up a scene in Hobbiton before Bilbo's arrival, showing the hobbits gathering for the auction, and so forth. Various named hobbits from the Family Trees could make their appearances, and let us not forget Messrs. Grubb, Grubb and Burrowes. It would be an excellent chance for Sean, Billy and Dom to have cameos as Sam's, Pippin's or Merry's fathers or grandfathers.

*(My personal theory being that the machinations to have Bilbo declared dead were not instigated by Otho, but by Otho's father Longo Baggins, who then would have become head of the Baggins family in Bilbo's absence. It was he who married Camellia Sackville, thus making Otho the first "Sackville-Baggins". Check the Family Tree in Appendix C and Letter #214 for what set me on that idea.)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 22 2010, 4:15pm

Post #22 of 24 (52 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: Back to the Future 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

"It would be an excellent chance for Sean, Billy and Dom to have cameos as Sam's, Pippin's or Merry's fathers or grandfathers."

In my opinion this type of thing is really distracting.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 23 2010, 1:26am

Post #23 of 24 (81 views)
Shortcut
Old Took's Midsummer's Eve [In reply to] Can't Post

Before the scope of the two films began to come into focus, i had hoped we'd see Bilbo's introduction to Gandalf at Old Took's Midsummers Eve.

It could sort of foreshadow the Concerning Hobbits/Birthday Party bits of PJ:FOTR and would be an efficient way to give a peek to all the hobbits mentioned by name in the first few pages of THE HOBBIT . And would have required a bunch of hobbit extras.

And I think Jack Black could deliver a fine Old Took performance (maybe riffing on a bit of a Peter Jackson spoof)...but now such a diversion, pleasant though it might have been, seems outside the frame of the story they will be telling

(This post was edited by carrioncrow on Nov 23 2010, 1:27am)

sk8maven

Nov 24 2010, 6:34am

Post #24 of 24 (72 views)
Shortcut
Never say never [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Before the scope of the two films began to come into focus, i had hoped we'd see Bilbo's introduction to Gandalf at Old Took's Midsummers Eve.

They could still do it as a flashback at some later point, possibly during the early part of the journey or at Rivendell.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.