Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Casting Call in Bay of Plenty Times
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 16 2010, 8:33am

Post #26 of 37 (489 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Still think it's an odd law though! Sad for all those foreigners dying to wanting to be a part in the film who lives (reasonably) close to NZ. Not thinking about myself, I live as earlier mentioned about 25-30 hours away with flight and 2500~ euros away. But it's sad for the others who can not have a go at the dream of their life.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 16 2010, 8:47am

Post #27 of 37 (497 views)
Shortcut
Certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

it's easier for locals to get film work, especially extras work given the short lead-in time. But if a visitor or immigrant has the proper work visas, is in NZ, is available and has the look the casting director is looking for, then surely they'd be as eligible as the next person.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 16 2010, 9:21am

Post #28 of 37 (514 views)
Shortcut
work visa's [In reply to] Can't Post

those internationals with work visa's/permits might still be eligible, but they would still take a back seat to NZ nationals unfortunately.
not to dash anyones hopes, but there is huge interest here in NZ, so it is unlikely they will need internationals to fill a demand which can be provided locally and nationally
i would be keen to be involved as i am in NZ and available throughout 2011, but i have my doubts whether even i will get a look in as there is a lot of national interest,
and i would estimate a lot less extras will be needed in these two films, than were needed in the LOTR trilogy. I bet a lot of crew members families and friends will also get a go at being extra's.
also the NZ film industry and students taking film and media courses has exploded since LOTR, so you will have a heck of a lot more people interested in getting their foot in the door of the film industry.
i could be wrong, but thats just my opinion from my own experiences as a film/media student in NZ.

a good gauge will be to keep an eye on the news when the first batch of auditions happen 23-24 November, those auditions should give us an idea of the level of interest in the country.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 16 2010, 9:31am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 16 2010, 9:53am

Post #29 of 37 (493 views)
Shortcut
What's odd about it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect to visit other countries and have an automatic right to work.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 16 2010, 10:51am

Post #30 of 37 (521 views)
Shortcut
You're absolutely right [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine the outcry there would be here if over-subscribed jobs were given to visitors.

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 16 2010, 12:36pm

Post #31 of 37 (489 views)
Shortcut
A gift to Kiwis [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats right. I think in a way NZ'ers have earned it. I mean we only get a major production every 10 years, and NZ, actors, extras and crew, had to fight hard to keep the films in NZ, from the petitions to the street protests etc... So I guess giving Kiwis priority is fair enough. Even though I will probably have nothing to do with it, I will be excited for my fellow countrymen and women who will be involved.

I dont know how the law works overseas with regards to the employment of foreigners, but when you think about it, it makes sense for there to be a level of protection for NZ jobs as we are only a small country and a small economy compared to most other western nations. If everyone who wanted to be involved all flew over to NZ, then it would deprive a heck of a lot of Kiwi's of work. Not merely the experience or thrill to be involved in a film, but literally work.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 16 2010, 12:45pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 16 2010, 4:42pm

Post #32 of 37 (438 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance anyone within EU can come here and work without even having to register (just double-checked it on the state's webside to be on the safe side). Which is great, and I think this is how it works in rest of EU too. And I dont consider them to "steal our jobs". It's normal.

And with all due respect RobNZ, about your claim that you "deserve" to be first.

Yes I was very much hoping that the production would stay in NZ when the situation was in the air but,

I mean we only get a major production every 10 years

Well there are many countries that will never get a major production. As I said earlier of course this film should be shot in NZ and so forth but I don't think its right to not give the people dreaming about this every day a chance to fulfil their dreams. Just my opinion.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 16 2010, 4:44pm)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Nov 16 2010, 5:23pm

Post #33 of 37 (417 views)
Shortcut
I'm 5' 8" [In reply to] Can't Post

That is 172.72 cm.

If our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his nails.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 16 2010, 5:54pm

Post #34 of 37 (434 views)
Shortcut
You answer your own question. [In reply to] Can't Post

Issues such as transferable employment are smoother between countries with economic/social (for want of a better phrase) agreements. You're in the EU so people in EU countries can work freely between those countries, but a New Zealander, for instance, travelling there wouldn't have the same automatic rights to access employment.

The nearest similar agreement that NZ has, that I can tell, is the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement with Australia where people registered to work in an occupation in one country are able to work in an equivalent occupation in the other without further registration or tests required. I can't find anything that mentions whether or not work visas are still required, but I *think* we don't need them between the two countries.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 16 2010, 6:41pm

Post #35 of 37 (396 views)
Shortcut
I guessed [In reply to] Can't Post

that you had some sort of an Oceanian Union that worked the similar way

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 16 2010, 6:41pm)

arimala

Nov 16 2010, 11:46pm

Post #36 of 37 (390 views)
Shortcut
Australians do not need a visa/permit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked this up the other day - Australian citizens do not need a work visa/permit to work in NZ.

(From the NZ immigration website:)

People who do not need a visa or permit

You do not need a work visa or permit to work in New Zealand if you are:
  • a New Zealand citizen or you hold a New Zealand residence permit, or
  • an Australian citizen, or the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa. (If there are conditions on your residence visa/resident return visa, then you will require a work visa.)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17 2010, 12:07am

Post #37 of 37 (450 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for hunting that out! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.