Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Music

rayfam5

Nov 14 2010, 7:27am

Post #1 of 12 (491 views)
Shortcut
Music Can't Post

Will Howard Shore be writing the music for the Hobbit movies? Does anyone know of who will be the composer and or soloists used in the movie?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 14 2010, 5:28pm)

Alex Maglor
Bree

Nov 14 2010, 10:31am

Post #2 of 12 (264 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he will return to do the score.

And is too early to talk about soloist.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2010, 2:24pm

Post #3 of 12 (220 views)
Shortcut
music [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi folks!!!
Well the matter of the music in The Hobbit, well have you notice how the score changes when, for example, Gandalf picks up Thorinīs map of the lonely mountain in bag end, and Gollumīs theme I feel there are some clues about how the score of The Hobbit itīs going to be, The Shire theme also I feel is gonna be the same and The ring also, Howard told somethin glike some characters and even places of middle hearth had itīs own voice on the score, and trough the three movies we can check that, so I dont see the point not to appear themes like, Th Shire, Gollum or The ring, also I want to focus your attemption on the moment when Bilbo picks up the mitrhil t shirt and how the music changes in that point it seems to be pretty cool,also in the prologue track you can ear the shire music changed a little bit when the prologue talks literalli of The Hobbit part of the back ground story, and i dont know why but I feel all the themes appeared in the movies are going to be here but sliglty changed, and finally I feel Moria itīs going to be a base for develop all dwarves culture in music

Thank you
GBYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2010, 2:35pm

Post #4 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

the theme Howard Shore composes for Smaug.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2010, 7:00pm

Post #5 of 12 (184 views)
Shortcut
smaug indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I tough about it after writing the post, and goblins, i forgot to tlk about elves theme in Rivendell, i feel itīll be coming back, and the spiders theme maybe remind tho shelobīs but the theme of the elves of mirkwood (oh yea), it would be interesting

GBYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Nov 14 2010, 7:06pm

Post #6 of 12 (218 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how many average movie-goers will be confused by the lack of the fellowship theme? It will sort of be like having Star Wars without the main Star Wars theme, but the fellowship theme makes sense as an exclusive part of the Lord of the Rings. It has no place in the Hobbit. Unless he reuses it as a theme for the "fellowship" that the dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf form. But I don't think that's something Howard Shore would do.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2010, 8:19pm

Post #7 of 12 (166 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea I agree that would be maybe confusing to the people and it is very close to the story of FOTR so, I feel Howard is going to try to bring a new theme or maybe Thse Shire theme in other tone, i suggest you to listen the prologue theme at the end when its Bilbo who takes the ring the shire theme appears but slightly changed, maybe this would be The Hobbit theme, i mean much more stronger but almost the same notes, and i dare to say that this theme would be increasing trough the two movies as the courage in Bilbo rises

thank you!!!

GBYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

micha84
Rivendell

Nov 14 2010, 10:33pm

Post #8 of 12 (136 views)
Shortcut
recycling? [In reply to] Can't Post

ha, he can reuse the fellowship theme. now it just applies to the fellowship of the dwarves with bilbo and gandalf. basically, he needs to write almost no new music. Wink

nah really, I'm sure he'll find very clever ways of connecting the music of 'the hobbit' with that of 'lotr' without just copying stuff. but it'll be a challenge!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2010, 12:14am

Post #9 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
The Shire theme [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe, at the end he needs no new musc at all , i feel that The Shire theme its gonig to be the main theme of The Hobbit, but slightly changed maybe in a more adventurous way, more bravely, at the end becomes the way we know it, more in peace, or maybe not

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Nov 15 2010, 12:15am

Post #10 of 12 (138 views)
Shortcut
I'm really excited... [In reply to] Can't Post

To hear the music for TH! I think Howard Shore is going to do great!

If our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his nails.

Samuel Walters
Bree

Nov 19 2010, 1:27am

Post #11 of 12 (67 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR Themes in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see any of these themes showing up in the Hobbit: The Shire/Hobbit themes; The Pity/Menace of Gollum; The History of the Ring; Rivendell. There might be some variations for Dangerous Passes and possibly Mordor. But I expect the lion's share of material to be brand spanking new.

And I cannot wait.

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 19 2010, 1:03pm

Post #12 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

the theme Howard dreams up for Smaug is going to be one I will definitely look forward to hearing. Im thrilled he will be the composer for the films.

There was rumour and speculation a while back of Tom Waits being contacted and in some way being involved in The Hobbit...
my personal hope is that he lends is voice to Smaug.
Hed make a brilliant Smaug...very raspy & sinister...for those who wish Smaug to have a British accent (I do not)...he can do that too.

I have a slight hunch though that if its indeed true Waits will be involved, it will be to help compose the songs of the Dwarves.
Many of his songs, to me are perfect for what I imagine they would sound like. Tom would even be great to play one of the Dwarves, the Great Goblin,
or voice one of the stone Trolls.

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

(This post was edited by sticklebat on Nov 19 2010, 1:06pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.