Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tom
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 2:29am

Post #26 of 31 (77 views)
Shortcut
close up cuts [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll see a troll listen to something, swing round and say "hey!" etc and then the other troll will react and say "wasn't me" then, as the shot stays on the accused troll we'll hear the next line of dialogue off screen, cut to the next troll...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 10:03pm

Post #27 of 31 (57 views)
Shortcut
Now let us be fair. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Tolkien thought he had a place, that should be good enough for all. The only qualm I ever take with the books. . . did everything bad really have to be black. . . but I am sure he didn't mean it THAT way, and he was born in the 1800s, so I cut him slack. lol

In Reply To
nor acid had any place in LotR. I agree with Lurtz2010 that he was intrusive, and was delighted that he was omitted from the movie. I skip his chapters in the book.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 10:30pm

Post #28 of 31 (70 views)
Shortcut
I could MAYBE see him in a non speaking bypass deal [In reply to] Can't Post

Say, maybe on the way back to Hobbiton, Gandalf and Bilbo seen passing by the outskirts of an old forest, and a Tom is seen as a random fellow who perhaps Gandalf waves and smiles to? But I really can't see anymore than that. You know how well I understand wanting all the worthy denizens to get their due . . . but whereas Glorfindel and even Radagast are easy enough to work in, Tom is a more difficult addition. Glorfindel lives in Rivendell and is a member of The Council. Radagast, while not specifically mentioned as a White Council member, may easily be assumed to have been on it, whereas Gandalf specifically states that Tom would not come to such things, even if specifically invited by Elrond, and did not step beyond the boundaries of his own land anymore. One almost has to put an effort into excluding Glorfindel, and Radagast is easy to make a place for. . . but working Tom into anything other than a fleeting cameo requires some doing I think.

In Reply To
wouldn't really satisfy me. All it would do is confirm that Tom exists within the film-verse an assumption that I can easily make on my own, without any evidence being necessary. We can assume Tom exists in the films in the same way we can assume Morgoth and Glorfindel and Radagast do.

What I really want is to see him on the screen, in all his ridiculous glory, even if it's only for a few seconds.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2010, 2:37pm

Post #29 of 31 (38 views)
Shortcut
I would suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

that a couple of Dwarves get eaten by Old Man Willow and Tom comes to save them before running off. Such a scene would be directly taken from Tolkien's writings (albeit using a couple of different characters), it would allow Tom to have his brief moment in the spotlight, and it wouldn't take up too much screentime. The only problem is that that scene has already been inserted by the filmmakers into Fangorn, with Treebeard taking over Tom's role.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2010, 2:50pm

Post #30 of 31 (58 views)
Shortcut
this is Bifur,Bofur, Bombur...and Tom!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

imagine Tom as one of the dwarves !!!jajajajajaTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 13 2010, 3:23pm

Post #31 of 31 (63 views)
Shortcut
It would also be rather repetitive... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to have the dwarves falling into trouble in the Old Forest and then again in Mirkwood. And it's completely unnecessary. Bilbo and the dwarves don't go anywhere near the Old Forest. Tom belongs to Frodo's story and to his own. Far better to leave him there, I think, and to enjoy him in the books. If they couldn't find a place for him in 'Fellowship' then I can't imagine why they'd want to shoe-horn him into 'The Hobbit' - it just doesn't make sense to me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.