Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone think David Bowie would be good as the Elven King?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 11 2010, 12:45am

Post #26 of 45 (220 views)
Shortcut
Bowie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Im a huge Bowie fan...I love his music & what he can do on film is highly impressive...but casting him as Thranduil...nah. Its really kind of redundant.

Goblin King...Elvenking...its too similar in nature for me...Id love to see someone different in the role.
In the same way I thought Richard Armitage looked & seemed far too similar from Robin Hood to the look of Aragorn to play Bard.
Now Richard would make a great Thranduil but lo and behold hes Thorin...its a head scratcher, but Im more than convinced Peter will make it all work brilliantly.

I think a lot of people have the image of that character emblazoned in their minds
and see that as what Thranduil should look like. Its been done. I think his age is a major factor seeing as Elves tend to show little sign of their true age.
I feel Davids is past what the character of Thranduil should be.
But hey...Ive been wrong before. Just my opinion.
Cheers.

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

smokerings
Rivendell

Nov 11 2010, 9:29pm

Post #27 of 45 (154 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

close...but not so close.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2010, 9:31pm

Post #28 of 45 (149 views)
Shortcut
That image [In reply to] Can't Post

actually strengthens my conviction that he'd make a great Thranduil.

CINE
Bree

Nov 11 2010, 9:36pm

Post #29 of 45 (180 views)
Shortcut
Walter Becker (of Steely Dan) as Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Don't ask me why... I just had this weird image of Becker as very elf-like for some reason.

Now I have to think of a good role in The Hobbit for Donald Fagen as well...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 11 2010, 10:11pm

Post #30 of 45 (177 views)
Shortcut
How about casting John Waters (Director) as Tharanduil. [In reply to] Can't Post

A dark Elf indeed.Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Hobbit-Wookie_lovechild

Nov 11 2010, 11:53pm

Post #31 of 45 (152 views)
Shortcut
David Bowe as Elf - Age and Singing [In reply to] Can't Post

...clearly the issue isn't his age, if forced perspective and makeup can make a 6'2" human appear as a 4'7" dwarf, I am sure David could look as ageless as you want him to look...

the problem is clearly going to be the singing!!

Elves love to sing, but David's style is likely to be a bit too raunchy for their culture...
and if he decides to have some friends over for a party, the Elven kingdom would not survive

Having said that, yes i think he would make a great Elf

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 12:03am

Post #32 of 45 (142 views)
Shortcut
Or even better ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Roger Waters

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 5:41pm

Post #33 of 45 (122 views)
Shortcut
Another suggestion for Thrainduil [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anyone has suggested him before: Cillian Murphy. You may recognise him from Batman Begins, or, most recently, Inception. He's a very good 'chameleonic' actor and one of the most Elvish-looking people I've ever seen.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 6:12pm

Post #34 of 45 (108 views)
Shortcut
He looks a bit young, I'd say.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... unless it's an old photo.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 6:27pm

Post #35 of 45 (125 views)
Shortcut
He may only be 34 [In reply to] Can't Post

but I wasn't joking around when I described him as 'chameleonic'. For instance: he has played a woman. Convincingly. I'm sure he could pull off whatever age Thranduil is meant to look in human terms.

Plurmo
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 7:29pm

Post #36 of 45 (92 views)
Shortcut
Yes, at least we could dream about [In reply to] Can't Post

a jam session with the thirteen-strong Middle-earthian version of ZZ Top, intead of dungeons and barrels and other less than raunchy events.Laugh

Welcome to the TORn forum, Hobbit-Wookie lovechild.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 7:33pm

Post #37 of 45 (89 views)
Shortcut
Yes he would be a much better choice than Bowie. // [In reply to] Can't Post

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Nov 12 2010, 9:25pm

Post #38 of 45 (106 views)
Shortcut
David Tennant [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been hearing all the rumors about David Tennant. I wouldn't be surprise if that's the role they have in mind for him - or - Bard. Tall - versatile - the right age. Besides his superb work in Doctor Who - have you seen him in Hamlet? One of the best ever. And gorgeous - as an Elf should be.

Cillian Murphy - too young. Good actor though.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 10:00pm

Post #39 of 45 (126 views)
Shortcut
David has the talent and bearing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Henson and Froud ( who did the Fairies book with Alan Lee) talking about how Bowie came in and blew them away in the Goblin King auditioning. He had picked up a set of pipes at one point, just on a lark, and leapt upon some stool, and they commented that for a moment they were convinced that the great god Pan had actually come into their presence. Anyway, I think he would be great, even if I am not starting a new campaign to make it so. lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Voorhas
Lorien

Nov 12 2010, 11:15pm

Post #40 of 45 (79 views)
Shortcut
Iggy Pop... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or the movies will be a dismal failure.

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 19 2010, 1:44pm

Post #41 of 45 (57 views)
Shortcut
Im not in favor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of Bowie in the role, and I dont think Thranduil himself should do much singing if any at all...leave the singing to Elves in Rivendell or the Elven feast at night in
Mirkwood.

but have you listened to any of Bowies music. Wild Is The Wind...very reminiscent of what an Elvish lament could sound like and one of my all time favorite Bowie songs.

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2010, 6:06pm

Post #42 of 45 (49 views)
Shortcut
Another possibility for Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

is Matthew Goode, who actually auditioned for the part of Bilbo (though thankfully he didn't get it, as he's completely wrong for the part in my opinion). We know that the filmmakers have some interest in him as an actor and have seen his Bilbo audition, so who knows? Several other actors were cast in roles other than the ones they originally auditioned for, and Goode looks quite Elvish to me:

sk8maven

Nov 24 2010, 6:25am

Post #43 of 45 (57 views)
Shortcut
I have a slighty wacked-out idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Fans have been clamoring to have Orlando Bloom in The Hobbit. By this point he's matured so much he would no longer match the youthful appearance he had in LOTR, so it would be difficult to retrofit him as Legolas...but how about as Legolas' dad? Wink

Bregolas
The Shire

Dec 2 2010, 6:14am

Post #44 of 45 (35 views)
Shortcut
ALEXANDER SKARSGARD [In reply to] Can't Post

Alexander Skarsgard would be PERFECT as Thranduil. This is undeniable.

(I tried to put a picture on here, but it won't work. Help?)

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-Thorin Oakenshield

(This post was edited by Bregolas on Dec 2 2010, 6:18am)

DrDeath153
Lorien

Dec 2 2010, 12:04pm

Post #45 of 45 (53 views)
Shortcut
I've grown away from Bowie [In reply to] Can't Post

The more i've thought about David Bowie the more i have kind of gone off him as a credible actor for the part of Thranduil. I haven't heard particularly high praise for his acting ability and also i think his presence would just completely overwhelm the film. It'd be 'David Bowie, with contributions from other actors' not that David Bowie is immodest (I've no idea, i have no particular liking for his music and have never seen Labyrith, his sole success (as far as i know) in the world of acting), but his reputation does proceed him. Even putting that aside, i think he's far too old- 50-55 (however well preserved) really is about the limit on what you can conceivably cast as an elf.

Personally i'm rather keen on Doug Jones having a shot. He may be anything but a heart-throb but he is very willowy and elegant and it'd be nice to see him 'as himself' in a lead role in a movie, rather than smothered under prosthetics (he could also probably body-double for Christopher Lee as Saruman). You certainly couldn't say he reminds you too much of other performances you've seen him do Tongue.

Cillian Murphy though- there's an idea. I'm not sure i could buy him as Thranduil- he just looks too..... cute i suppose- he did the scarecrow but that was kind of like Elijah Wood in Sin City- psychotically cute. I could certainly see him as an Elf though.

Dr Death

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.