Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well, Doctor Who is really

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2010, 1:52am

Views: 88
Shortcut
Well, Doctor Who is really [In reply to] Can't Post

two different shows in many ways.

The original show ran from the 60s into the 80s. It was gently paced and low budget (the effects are often laughable now, and many planets look suspiciously like gravel quarries) and the focus was on the stories, each of which were told over a series of 1/2 hour episodes. A story might last for 2 episodes, or as many as 8. There were 7 different Doctors over the course of the series, each very different from the others, and people often prefer the first one they saw, especially if they started watching as a child. The most popular overall is the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker. My favorite happens to be the 3rd, Jon Pertwee. If you want to get a taste of the original show, you should consider watching a story or two from one of their seasons.

There was a TV movie which featured Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Some people liked the movie, I didn't. It didn't feel like Doctor Who to me. But that's a matter of personal taste, and I'm sure others would disagree.

The current show is definitely "updated". Hour-long episodes with good special effects, and a edgier feel to the stories and the character interactions. They have preserved the necessary Doctorish charm of the series and kept most of the conventions of the original....except in one respect: the old Doctors had lots of traveling companions, but never romantic interests. The New Who parted ways with that tradition and personal relationships play a far bigger part than they ever did in the old series. For the new series, I would suggest starting at the "beginning", with the 9th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and working up to the present Doctor. There's more of a coherent character arc going on with the new series and I think it's best to begin at the beginning.

Here's an episode guide to the classic series. Be advised, the "Beginners Guide" linked to in the navigation bar on the left is informative, but contains spoilers.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Subject User Time
Sylvester McCoy Talks 'The Hobbit' News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Nov 9 2010, 8:50pm
    Transcript? duats Send a private message to duats Nov 10 2010, 2:12am
        I don't usually do this.... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 10 2010, 4:06am
            They Did Well TheGoblinKing Send a private message to TheGoblinKing Nov 10 2010, 6:04am
            Thanks! // Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Nov 10 2010, 6:20am
            Thanks Silverlode RaoulJ Send a private message to RaoulJ Nov 10 2010, 7:03am
                Dr Who.. Huan71 Send a private message to Huan71 Nov 10 2010, 9:54am
                Well, Doctor Who is really Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 11 2010, 1:52am
            Sounds like... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Nov 10 2010, 7:32am
                Ack, Elizabeth, you anticipated my question moments before I was able to post it! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Nov 10 2010, 7:37am
                or Radagast? titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Nov 10 2010, 9:04am
                    He's supposed to have said so himself. // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Nov 10 2010, 9:15am
                    I expect he will play Radagast Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Nov 10 2010, 1:41pm
                        This interview took place several weeks ago, Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 10 2010, 7:12pm
            All that typing is much appreciated! :) // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Nov 10 2010, 8:30am
    Any speculation about which part he was offered? / SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Nov 10 2010, 7:33am
        See my post above :-) // Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Nov 10 2010, 7:33am
            And you did it again! Get out of my head! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Nov 10 2010, 7:39am
        Radagast, so he said later on // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Nov 10 2010, 11:09am
            My Sister Was A TheGoblinKing Send a private message to TheGoblinKing Nov 10 2010, 1:00pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.