Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I wonder if PJ....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 1:49am

Post #26 of 35 (111 views)
Shortcut
another early fan favorite. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also remember from the very earliest stages of online discussion Sean Bean had a rabid fan base.
I think they mostly agitated for him as Aragorn..but he really was one of the most oft-mentioned 'dream cast' members when nothing was nailed down and then many months (maybe years ) later the FOTR cast was revealed and voila, there is Sean Bean as Boromir. That could have been a coincidence, maybe the online community had no sway...but its easy, having been there, to think it was possible they did.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 2:06am

Post #27 of 35 (128 views)
Shortcut
What makes you think things were suggested here first? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure from the moment that a Hobbit film entered the realm of probability, Jackson was mentally indexing through actors he knew for various parts, and very early in his relationship with GdT they both said they had someone in mind for Bilbo. Based on his (very Bilbo-like) role in Hitchhiker, Freeman was a fairly obvious choice. I'm pretty sure they were very familiar with Armitage's work as well, and their choice of him depended on their concept of Thorin, which I suspect is a bit different than what we were expecting before that casting announcement.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 10:14am

Post #28 of 35 (86 views)
Shortcut
New Line used an idea from a fan site [In reply to] Can't Post

Back when New Line was producing Snakes on a Plane, fans were posting all sorts of suggestions on websites. One line of dialogue was suggested on a fan site, and New Line put it into the film, I believe word for word. (I won't give it here, since it's pretty profane, but it's the most famous line in the film.) My impression at the time was that if fans were making it clear that these suggestions were being made in public for the use of the filmmakers, they probably sacrificed any legal right to later claim any compensation for it.

Similarly, though less explicitly, the makers of LOTR took the obsession over "Figwit," the anonymous elf at the Council of Elrond, and brought him back for Return of the King. So fan suggestions, specific or vague, are sometimes adopted. I doubt whole scenes or plotlines would be taken from fan postings, but it's not quite as strictly avoided as some of the discussion on this thread suggests.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 10:23am

Post #29 of 35 (73 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the extent of the change [In reply to] Can't Post

Typically, once a film has been greenlit, the construction of sets, costumes, and props begins. These are normally planned to fit the scene as described. Obviously if a corner of a room is the only part shown in a scene, they don't build the whole room.

If a change would require a lot of additional stuff to be constructed, it probably wouldn't be allowed. But if a change doesn't require that sort of thing, it could easily be adopted. The cast talked about how they received changes in dialogue routinely, often right before filming. Ian said he urged that his line to Frodo about hobbits being remarkable was put back in--but obviously that didn't require the Bag End set to be re-done.

There's an anecdote from Billy Boyd's commentary on the palantir scene in ROTK that I quoted in The Frodo Franchise, chapter 3. On the set, Billy got the idea to substitute the round pitcher for the palantir in Gandalf's arms. Peter said they couldn't do it, because the pitcher hadn't been made to hobbit scale. Then a props person piped up that, um, actually they had made it in both sizes. Result, they changed the scene to do it as Billy suggested. But they wouldn't have stopped the shooting and waited until a second, larger pitcher could be made. Once the cast and crew are on set, it's incredibly expensive and difficult to just stop and do something else instead, just for the sake of a suggested change.

So, yes, changes can be made, and the script isn't graven in stone now. But the changes have to be feasible, given the money, time, and effort already expended.

Bound
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 12:29pm

Post #30 of 35 (68 views)
Shortcut
I still find it funny ... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Figwit turned out to be Bret from Flight of The Conchords.... Those guys are the best !

film fanNo.7
Bree

Nov 11 2010, 1:40am

Post #31 of 35 (43 views)
Shortcut
Do PJ and Co. have accounts on here or something? // [In reply to] Can't Post

You know you're cool when...
-You have a nerd-spasm just because you walk by your Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs.
-You cry at the end of return of the king even though you've seen it about 13 times.
-You check TOR.n for updates when you should be doing your geography project.
-You would rather have Richard Taylor's autograph than Merryl Streep's.
-You doodle Treebeard in the margins of your math homework.
-Everything you say, or anyone else for that matter, relates to LotR even if it only makes sense to you.-by Gimli'sBox
But if that's what I'm like... well than too bad for normal people!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 11 2010, 1:51am

Post #32 of 35 (42 views)
Shortcut
There is no way to tell.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 11 2010, 2:11am

Post #33 of 35 (46 views)
Shortcut
butta [In reply to] Can't Post

We certainly know GDT read and responded to the boards and not merely making pronouncements from on high (and he's still in some sense on the team).

I'm thinking in particular about his comments in a previous thread about the Rankin Bass hobbit.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2010, 2:19am

Post #34 of 35 (52 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

was a special case. He likes to interact with the fans personally and we were delighted to have him here. PJ and his team communicate directly with the TORN PTB from time to time, but we've never seen them on the boards.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 11 2010, 11:47am

Post #35 of 35 (63 views)
Shortcut
well then screw it [In reply to] Can't Post

direct interaction with a member of the creative team doesn't count Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.