Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Movie Tournament Thread 2010-2011 Edition.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 3 2010, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 23 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Movie Tournament Thread 2010-2011 Edition. Can't Post

This is like any tournament really I select movies to face off and who ever gets the most votes goes on till the nest round. We do the Tournament till there's one movie left. Could it Be Return or The King or maybe The Empire Strikes Back. Won't know unless you vote for cannot do the tournament without you wonderful fellow Tolkien lovers.

Round One Battle 1

Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves VS Man In The Iron Mask.

Robin Hood.

[/img]

Man In The Iron Mask.

[/img]

(This post was edited by TheGoblinKing on Nov 3 2010, 5:06pm)

diedye
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2010, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 23 (281 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't this do better as a poll?... [In reply to] Can't Post

And for the record, I pick Robin Hood.

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 3 2010, 5:28pm

Post #3 of 23 (246 views)
Shortcut
I think GoblinKing has something more like a game in mind [In reply to] Can't Post

he asked on Feedback and was directed here. I think they're kind of like 'battles'.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

diedye
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2010, 5:30pm

Post #4 of 23 (259 views)
Shortcut
It's cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I just thought it would easier to keep score with a poll than with checking each post.

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 3 2010, 7:39pm

Post #5 of 23 (271 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has Alan Rickman's great villainy as the Sheriff of Nottingham. And Morgan Freeman as Azeem. And a lot of action. And who hasn't dreamed of loading Christian Slater into a catapult and pulling the trigger?

The Man in the Iron Mask has got Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gérard Depardieu, and Gabriel Byrne as the Four Musketeers, with the eye candy of Anne Parillaud to boot. But, well, they really don't do much. Does one great bad guy outweigh four good good guys? Or maybe it's the overload with two DiCaprios?

But mainly it's Rickman, the only reason for rewatching RH:POT.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Richie Rich
Rivendell

Nov 3 2010, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 23 (226 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood, hands down. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 3 2010, 9:13pm

Post #7 of 23 (263 views)
Shortcut
Have to agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched it a couple weeks ago on BBCAmerica. I hadn't seen it since I saw it in theaters back in, what? 1990? 1991? I can't remember when it came out. I had forgotten a lot of it, but not Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. This role started my love affair with Rickman. He was perfect, even with that eighties hairdo!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 3 2010, 11:23pm

Post #8 of 23 (292 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood Leads [In reply to] Can't Post

Its just easier for me for not big on Polls. I will update the Tournament every 3 days with a new battle. There are 33 battles in Round 1 so please do return and vote.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2010, 12:35am

Post #9 of 23 (274 views)
Shortcut
Man in the Iron Mask [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the movie after some years, and found it great! Great cast!

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2010, 12:54am

Post #10 of 23 (579 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Snape rocks in this one!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 6 2010, 3:29am

Post #11 of 23 (257 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood Wins Round One Battle 2. [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan The Barbarian.
[/img]

VS.

Red Sonja
.[/img]

(This post was edited by TheGoblinKing on Nov 6 2010, 3:38am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2010, 3:32am

Post #12 of 23 (304 views)
Shortcut
Conan [In reply to] Can't Post

All the way......

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2010, 8:34pm

Post #13 of 23 (222 views)
Shortcut
Conan [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan the Barbarian. Arnold's breakout role, Sandahl Bergman as a good girl, and James Earl Jones as a giant snake. What's not to like? (Well, it's a De Laurerntiis movie and Sandahl dies, but at least part of the film actually follows Howards story!)

Red Sonja. De Laurentiis suckered Arnold into appearing in a cameo as a favor, but somehow Lord Whosits becomes a costar and Arnold get top billing (He wasn't pleased getting cameo pay for a starring role.) So it's not about Red Sonja alone against the world, but Red Sonja backed up by Conan Who Is Not Conan. That is, instead of female empowerment it's about how every female, even Red Sonja, needs a man to protect them. Plus this was the lead's (a model) first acting job so Arnold looks and sounds Shakespearean in comparison. It does have Sandahl Bergman as a bad girl. (But again she dies!) But the most egregious fault is: Where are Red Sonja's chain mail bra and panties???? (A million fanbois cried out in disappointment and were silenced.)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 7 2010, 1:20am

Post #14 of 23 (421 views)
Shortcut
Conan // [In reply to] Can't Post

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2010, 4:38pm

Post #15 of 23 (315 views)
Shortcut
Conan the Barbarian inflicted Arnold Scharzenegger on an unsuspecting world ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Red Sonja inflicted Brigitte Nielsen.

There's simply no comparison. Sly

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Nov 8 2010, 4:39pm)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 1:56pm

Post #16 of 23 (300 views)
Shortcut
Conan wins. Round One Battle 3 ET vs Jaws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jaws.
[/img]

VS

ET
[/img]

(This post was edited by TheGoblinKing on Nov 12 2010, 2:01pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 12 2010, 7:10pm

Post #17 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
Jaws [In reply to] Can't Post

ET has cute kids, cuter kids, and the cutest alien of all. Lots of sentimental fuzzies. A movie for the whole family.

Jaws has Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider, and Richard Dreyfuss playing The Three Stooges, and a big honking shark who eats people.

Sorry ET, close but no cigar. Now if ET ate small cute kids this would be no contest.

NARFOT since 1967.

NARFOP since 2001.

I'm NARFOB and I'm proud!!

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 10:52pm

Post #18 of 23 (326 views)
Shortcut

That was the it scariest film when i was a Kid so Jaws.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2010, 5:34am

Post #19 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
Jaws... [In reply to] Can't Post

'your gonna need a bigger boat'.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 22 2010, 5:40am

Post #20 of 23 (225 views)
Shortcut

sevilodorf
Gondor

Nov 27 2010, 3:45pm

Post #21 of 23 (191 views)
Shortcut

Though without ET would Reese's Pieces have survived?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Airaloske
The Shire

Nov 28 2010, 6:45pm

Post #22 of 23 (245 views)
Shortcut
Reese's Pieces... [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband would have single-handedly made sure that Reese's Pieces never got pulled from stores...that man and his peanut butter...

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2010, 9:55pm

Post #23 of 23 (454 views)
Shortcut
Gonna go out on a limb here and vote for ET [In reply to] Can't Post

By the end of the movie, ET successfully phoned home and got rescued. Poor old Jaws got killed and sank to the bottom of the ocean, although he did devour a lot of people first.

Jaws would also have had a hard time chomping on ET and the kids, what with the flying bicycles.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.