Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Part 11

Saelind
Lorien

Jun 29 2007, 2:05am

Views: 341
Shortcut
Part 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does the poet tell us that Hrothgar is seeking his queen for a bedmate? Isn't that a little too much information? Can you imagine Tolkien telling us that Celeborn retired to seek Galadriel as a bedmate?
Tolkien wrote about procreation but kept sex for pleasure out of his writing for the most part. I can’t imagine him talking that way about any of his characters.

It’s not too much information. Adds a little “wink, wink, nudge, nudge” to the story. From the Maxims via Herbert again. “’The woman must thrive, loved by her people; she must be light-hearted, absolutely discreet.’” The text goes on to say, that the OE words rune healdom can be taken to mean that the queen doesn’t blab about any pillow talk the couple has. They have a complete relationship, spouses, rulers and lovers. Also, there is a real chance that Grendel might finally be defeated, wouldn’t you want to spend the night in hope with your partner?

Why are the soldiers in the hall going to bed? Don't they know Grendel is coming?
They know but what’s the point in staying up? They don’t think they will survive the night, “None of them expected he would ever see his homeland again or get back to his native place… They knew too well the way it was before,…” Heaney. And they trusted Beowulf and his abilities to overcome the monster. They will be there for back-up but this a mano-a-mano contest between Beowulf and Grendel.

Is Beowulf foregoing weapons in order to make it a fair fight? Isn't this ironic, since Grendel cannot be hurt by swords? Does Beowulf discover the only way to hurt Grendel by sheer luck, or am I missing something?
He does seem to take pity on Grendel by saying that Grendel knows nothing about the art of warfare. I also think he does it in part to win even more glory. It sounds so much more heroic to say, “I killed him with my bare hands,” than “I stabbed him with my sword.”

If "not one" thought they would survive the battle to come, why did they come to the battle? Does "not one" include Beowulf? It must have been some really good mead…Better to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised. Also, no cockiness here. Unlike previous attempts to stop Grendel, these men have a pretty good idea of what’s in store for them. They are in it to support Beowulf and maybe win a little renown for themselves. A la “Henry V” . Darkstone’s point about fate leading them to this point is also well taken.

What are "Wederish heroes"? Ones that fate has blessed?

If everyone was scared except for Beowulf, why was Beowulf the only one who stayed awake? Drama! Ups the emotional antey for him to be the only one awake.

There are several mentions of God in this relatively short passage, aren't there? I count five. He is the arbiter of all things. And again is a mixing of pagan and Christian views on fate and who ultimately controls one’s destiny. I suspect the audience would not have noticed the difference as much as we do since there is quite a bit of separation between Christianity and paganism in modern times.

Any other comments? “The board is set, the pieces are moving…”

Subject User Time
**Beowulf Discussion Part 11** Curious Send a private message to Curious Jun 20 2007, 4:42am
    God as Fate FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jun 20 2007, 12:06pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 20 2007, 3:14pm
    A couple of answers. GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Jun 21 2007, 12:37am
    Part 11 Saelind Send a private message to Saelind Jun 29 2007, 2:05am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.