Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'Warners won't confirm if Hobbit will move from NZ' + new information
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Empedocles
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 5:01pm

Post #26 of 48 (303 views)
Shortcut
It's horrible [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got to think about how hard it is for a person to decide who gets to keep a job and who doesn't.

Peter looks tired, sad and beaten and I guess one of the reasons for that is that they put him in a position where he has to choose friends over friends.

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 21 2010, 5:07pm

Post #27 of 48 (287 views)
Shortcut
Or even days (I think) [In reply to] Can't Post

If a bill is tabled and passed under urgency.
I believe this qualifies as *urgent*.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 5:16pm

Post #28 of 48 (291 views)
Shortcut
I do not think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the 2350 would consider themselves 'not good enough' if they were not among the top 15 or 16% to be picked. The fact that they were hired in the first place shows that they were good enough. Of course I can't speak for other people, but if I was one of them I certainly wouldn't lose any self-esteem just because I wasn't among Peter Jackson's hand-picked elite minority.

And (this is a question to which I can't find the answer anywhere) wouldn't Weta be able to continue to work on The Hobbit even in the event of a relocation? And isn't a large amount of their work done already?

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 5:22pm

Post #29 of 48 (277 views)
Shortcut
The problem isn't just this production [In reply to] Can't Post

New Zealanders are worried about the black eye to their film industry that can hurt future work as well.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 5:25pm

Post #30 of 48 (276 views)
Shortcut
But didn't Peter say [In reply to] Can't Post

that the damage to the industry has already been done and even filming The Hobbit in New Zealand will not repair it?

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 5:27pm

Post #31 of 48 (273 views)
Shortcut
No he didn't say that he said the damage [In reply to] Can't Post

was to the production of The Hobbit after a week of the cheese sammich.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 5:28pm

Post #32 of 48 (269 views)
Shortcut
And even if he did say it [In reply to] Can't Post

it wouldn't change the fact of what I said previously - that New Zealanders are concerned with more than just losing The Hobbit they're concerned about losing future work.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 21 2010, 5:33pm

Post #33 of 48 (258 views)
Shortcut
The question is [In reply to] Can't Post

what happens to the majority? When they can't work on the Hobbit, do you really think they get another job, now that the unions made sure that studios are sceptical if the NZ film industry can be trusted? Maybe not being among the elite minority isn't reason enough to feel bad, but being out of a job altogether would be, I'd think.

As for Weta - my guess is that Weta digital might still be able to do the post-production stuff. But what about Weta workshop? They will lose all the work that's not already done, as it gets moved offshore, IMO. Costumes, props, all that stuff.

IIRC, during the filming of LotR the production employed at times 20.000 people. Compare that to 150 and you may understand why I don't think these 150 are promising for Peter. Not to mention that it has to be a terrible job to chose them in the first place. He'll have worked with many for a long while, and then to have to pick a few and force the others into possible unemployment ...

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 21 2010, 5:37pm

Post #34 of 48 (268 views)
Shortcut
Flagg [In reply to] Can't Post

... we know that you want the filming in Ireland but honestly, just look at Peter Jackson's face and bearing in those interviews and try to imagine what this must be doing to him; in fact, you don't need to imagine, you can see it. Try turning your imagination instead to how it would feel embarking on a huge project like filming The Hobbit with that sense of defeat - pushed out of your own country and forced to choose who gets to come with you, and work, and who gets left behind to chew their fingernails and wonder when the next big film might happen along.

OK, he's a grown-up and a professional, he'll cope, but can't you see how much better things would be if they didn't have to start the filming under this kind of cloud? If they could be in the place they know and love, proving to the world once again that New Zealand can achieve amazing things? Call me naive, but I really don't want everyone to discover too late that New Zealand was as much part of the magic as any other cast member.

As to Weta, I don't know the answer but I suspect that while Weta digital will almost certainly be involved I wouldn't be so sure about the Weta Workshop. Maybe what they've already done will be able to be used, if it's transportable, but they couldn't possibly have the day-to-day, hands-on involvement when the filming isn't right on their doorstep. The job of large set building would surely have to go to some other company... And I'd say that losing them really would be too much of a loss.

Snaga
Lorien

Oct 21 2010, 5:41pm

Post #35 of 48 (246 views)
Shortcut
You're on the right track [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Seduce them. Angelic

But I would recommend that after they seduce them they take lots of pictures. Blackmail is still a viable tool in international business. Wink

Silmaril
Lorien

Oct 21 2010, 5:51pm

Post #36 of 48 (243 views)
Shortcut
yes, it hurts!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

what a big mess.

Allanon
The Shire

Oct 21 2010, 5:51pm

Post #37 of 48 (242 views)
Shortcut
Robyn Malcolm [In reply to] Can't Post

"Outrageous Fortune star and Actors' Equity committee member Robyn Malcolm said yesterday she could not believe a request for a discussion around conditions was enough to derail the project."

I cannot believe the ignorance of some of these people. It wasn't a request for a discussion. You blacklisted The Hobbit films on a worldwide level.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 6:19pm

Post #38 of 48 (214 views)
Shortcut
Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

I am humbled by your comments. While I would be happy to see The Hobbit filmed in Ireland, I am aware of the negative repercussions which would follow a move and I still feel uneasy about the possibility. It's not fun having a perspective opposed by virtually everyone else on the boards. While I have tried to find the upsides and potential benefits of a move, I've done my best not to annoy anyone – I have never said that I hope for a move, or that it would be a good thing, or that Ireland would be a better filming location than New Zealand. I don't deny that I'd be happy about it (albeit in a guilty sort of way), but I'd like to emphasise that I'd also be perfectly happy to see the films shot in New Zealand. I think I am fairly neutral as regards the location, though my relative neutrality probably makes me appear to be a pro-Ireland extremist in comparison to the average TORNsib's pro-New Zealand position.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 21 2010, 6:27pm

Post #39 of 48 (184 views)
Shortcut
NZ's beauty has seduced many before...I don't see why [In reply to] Can't Post

it couldn't work on these Warner folks.Evil

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 21 2010, 6:35pm

Post #40 of 48 (182 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not thrilled by the idea of employment laws being altered to suit a single issue. I'd like to see the details of the proposed amendment.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 21 2010, 6:36pm

Post #41 of 48 (182 views)
Shortcut
*gets out little black number* [In reply to] Can't Post

A Porche.

What were you thinking of?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 6:39pm

Post #42 of 48 (213 views)
Shortcut
Update from the New York Times.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As of Thursday morning, according to a person briefed on the matter, Warner’s New Line unit, which is supervising the production for Warner Brothers and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, was still considering a move to another country, in part because, in the studios’ view, the New Zealand actors, despite having withdrawn their call for an international union boycott, are continuing to insist that the “Hobbit” producers conduct discussions that would run afoul of New Zealand law. A team of Warner executives is expected to be in New Zealand by Tuesday, both to assess the situation and to consider plans for production elsewhere.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/new-zealand-still-in-hobbit-picture-for-now/

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 21 2010, 6:43pm

Post #43 of 48 (182 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly what we feared, isn't it? Can someone please show that to that Kelly woman and all the other union officials who pretend to have no clue or actually don't have one what the problem is and who caused it?

By the way, thank you for posting all these links and snippets. Much appreciated!

TORn Link Collection

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 6:44pm

Post #44 of 48 (162 views)
Shortcut
Flagg [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for being with us in this community! Don't feel bad for having a different opinion. I can understand countries wanting to bring The Hobbit to their native shores. What an amazing prospect. I think I am personally rooting for PJ and New Zealand because in my viewing of the films, the special features, documentaries, reading interviews, I have never been so engaged by a team of people. I am so inspired by what they do. There are so many great film crews. Personally this one holds a special place in my heart. My country could use the economic kick, as I'm sure your's and many others could as well.

I just think they have earned the right to do it there.

My two cents.

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 6:51pm

Post #45 of 48 (171 views)
Shortcut
At least they are only still considering moving from NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

That means its not final. The decision has yet to be made. But I agree, it doesn't sound good.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 21 2010, 6:59pm

Post #46 of 48 (152 views)
Shortcut
Yep :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Still don't know if I dare to hope. That emotional rollercoaster is getting to me - at that rate I'm going to have a nervous breakdown before we know for sure. Who knows how long it takes after they start on Monday? And what a strain on Peter and his team; they have to feel terrible, as for them so much depends on the outcome. Really don't want to be in their place, considering how bad I already feel.

TORn Link Collection

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2010, 7:09pm

Post #47 of 48 (145 views)
Shortcut
She's spinning her story [In reply to] Can't Post

with no conscience...

Here hair looks like it's been hard for her to look at herself in the mirror.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 21 2010, 9:58pm

Post #48 of 48 (111 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Flagg [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm not in the business of making anybody feel humbled, I just lost it a bit reading your posts that seemed to be dismissing all the New Zealanders who will lose out if this project moves. It is tough holding a minority view and you do it well - and thank goodness there's room for us all around here! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.