Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
More than a $100 million in legal fees?

Woodyend
Gondor

Oct 12 2010, 4:17pm

Post #1 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut
More than a $100 million in legal fees? Can't Post

Wow it’s good to be a lawyer. I was reading about the boycott over at the NY Times and this caught my eye.

Actors Warn Against ‘Hobbit’ Boycott as Costs Mount

The Hobbit” — with a price tag of about $500 million — could become the most expensive film project of all time. More than $100 million of that total cost will be legal fees, The Herald said, as the studios behind the films work out settlements with the long-delayed project’s various rights holders.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/...cott-as-costs-mount/

Is this normal for a movie of this size?

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 12 2010, 6:17pm

Post #2 of 9 (244 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow it’s good to be a lawyer. I was reading about the boycott over at the NY Times and this caught my eye.

Is this normal for a movie of this size?

What do you mean by a movie this size?

Woodyend
Gondor

Oct 12 2010, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 9 (237 views)
Shortcut
The budget being $500 million.// [In reply to] Can't Post

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 12 2010, 6:42pm

Post #4 of 9 (241 views)
Shortcut
In the actual context it´s not surprising... [In reply to] Can't Post

An average action film generally cost around 100 millions. In this case being two films and regarding the amount of pre-production needed and the cgi technology that needs to be used I would point 200 million per film so...

Woodyend
Gondor

Oct 12 2010, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 9 (225 views)
Shortcut
My point is not the $500 million but the $100 million for legal. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am curious about how much of the budget is spent on legal, for the average film. A $100 million looks over and above to me.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 12 2010, 10:26pm

Post #6 of 9 (230 views)
Shortcut
Very few [In reply to] Can't Post

films have the kind of legal costs that these do; so I would say it is not usual.

In Reply To
I am curious about how much of the budget is spent on legal, for the average film. A $100 million looks over and above to me.

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 13 2010, 2:49pm

Post #7 of 9 (168 views)
Shortcut
Sure Woodyend, it unusual by all means! [In reply to] Can't Post

The question is that The Hobbit is by now a special case by any standarts, it will go down as one of the most difficult films ever to be made, not so by the lack of means to do it but due to legal issues instead, so sure, 100 millions is an absurdly amount of money, as I stated before it would be enough to make an average motion picture but hey, The Hobbit and the Tolkien´s realm it´s everything but average stuff! Wink

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Oct 14 2010, 2:26am

Post #8 of 9 (152 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe those figures [In reply to] Can't Post

The $500 million got reported from site to site to site until the fact that it was a figure reported as money needed for MGM to make new films turned into for "The Hobbit'.

A Jackson spokesman said its wrong.

The $100M seems impossibly high but I have no knowledge of it being otherwise.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 14 2010, 9:22am

Post #9 of 9 (1109 views)
Shortcut
After all, it is only money...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit is almost here.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.