The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A small question

Zizix
Rivendell

Sep 16 2010, 1:45am

Post #1 of 8 (565 views)
Shortcut
A small question Can't Post

Whenever I view the boards I get topics displayed ranked by "time of creation" instead of which topics have the newest posts. I found the button to change that but I was wondering if there's an option to permanently make this change so I won't have to click this button every time?

Thank you :)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 16 2010, 1:57am

Post #2 of 8 (420 views)
Shortcut
Threads on TORN expire. [In reply to] Can't Post

Think of it as a feature, not a bug, that keeps the discussions fresh: while one can respond to old threads at any time (this didn't use to be the case; on the old forums, threads closed after falling from a board's first page), they can't be "bumped" to the top, and so after a short lifespan of a week or two, they are effectively closed.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien’s life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Zizix
Rivendell

Sep 16 2010, 5:16pm

Post #3 of 8 (376 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Either I misunderstand you or you misunderstood me. The way the topics are displayed now, I have to look through the list to see if there are any topics with new replies, rather than just having the topics with new replies displayed at the top (which I'm used to at other forums).
So I guess my confusion in regard to your reply is, by "old threads" do you mean threads that have been in existence for more than 2 weeks, or threads that haven't had any activity for 2 weeks?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2010, 7:24pm

Post #4 of 8 (358 views)
Shortcut
Hi Zizix. [In reply to] Can't Post

The TORN discussion boards you see now are second-generation - the original boards were far more simple in design. The discussion threads couldn't be 'bumped' (go to the top of the board) when a new reply was posted, and the threads were displayed only in threaded mode. Once a thread moved off the first page it was automatically locked and couldn't be replied to.

With these new discussion boards we had built into them as many of the original features as possible. One of those was letting threads drop off page one and stay there, even when a new reply was posted to it, rather than having an existing thread 'bumped' to the top of the page when it gets a new reply.

The benefit of that is that the discussions stay fresh - people have the chance to revisit a previously discussed topic without being constrained by discussions that have already taken place, which is beneficial for a long-existing website such as TORN and for making newer members feel like they can make a valuable contribution, instead of feeling like everything has already been discussed.

As you've already discovered, you can click a few buttons to make the latest-replied threads bump to the top of a board, but we won't be making that a default feature.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Zizix
Rivendell

Sep 16 2010, 7:32pm

Post #5 of 8 (345 views)
Shortcut
Haha ok [In reply to] Can't Post

So basically you are the opposite of most other forums where people always complain that things have been discussed before, and where threads do get bumped.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 16 2010, 7:41pm

Post #6 of 8 (434 views)
Shortcut
Exactly so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here new members can start a thread on a possibly old topic without feeling obliged to try a dozen likely search terms to find if it's been discussed before.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien’s life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sador
Half-elven

Sep 17 2010, 8:50am

Post #7 of 8 (395 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a feature, rather than a flaw.
I personally think this is a part of what make TORn the most newbie-friendly message board I know of, as it enables new people to offer their prespectives without being burdened by past discussions, and without being shouted at.
And after all, unlike politics and current events - there is always something new to be gained from looking at Tolkien again, isn't it? (even in the Balrog wings and the Eagle solution debates) Cool

And speaking about being newbie-friendly - just where are my manners? Welcome to TORn Zizix, and have a grand time of it!

A fair warning: I am a nitpicker by taste, talents and profession.

"Does it matter whether the things Tom has to do are "useful" things? ... Perhaps nothing would seem much different if he wasn't there with 'my singing, my talking and my walking, and my watching of the country.' But something would be missing - something intangible, hardly noticeable maybe. A little of the spirit would have gone out of the land. "
- FarFromHome.

(This post was edited by sador on Sep 17 2010, 8:50am)

Zizix
Rivendell

Sep 17 2010, 6:59pm

Post #8 of 8 (578 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.