The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
7th extension ? Very likely.

Rogash
Bree

Sep 10 2010, 5:04am

Post #1 of 14 (7813 views)
Shortcut
7th extension ? Very likely. Can't Post

''The development comes a week before the Sept. 15 expiration of the forbearance on debt payments. The lenders are likely to be asked soon for another forbearance. The creditors have agreed six times to forgive debt payments since last September. A source said they most likely agreed because they realized the company was headed into an organized bankruptcy that would give them equity upon its emergence. '' Variety.(See last article on Frodo Franchise).

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2010, 5:33am

Post #2 of 14 (6069 views)
Shortcut
I'm not entirely teed off about this 7th debt extension... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because I do believe it will be the last one, and unlike the previous ones, this one will see a lot of activity in the right direction.

Besides, 7 is a lucky number Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 10 2010, 8:29am

Post #3 of 14 (6066 views)
Shortcut
This will be different as it will be part of the bankruptcy [In reply to] Can't Post

and not a simple prolongation of the situation.

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 10 2010, 10:22am

Post #4 of 14 (6007 views)
Shortcut
It feels more like extension 100 or 1000. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit has surley got to end up going down in cinematice history as the most delayed, most problamatic film to finally get off the ground and into production.

Photobucket

Pre-Pre-production goes ever on and on...

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2010, 12:58pm

Post #5 of 14 (6035 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't LOTR super dooper delayed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to excuse the MGM wackiness - but didn't the Miramax / New Line saga play out even longer and with less hope? According to PJ at one point the whole project had like 4 weeks to migrate over from Miramax to whatever hapless studio wanted a crack at it next (and would pay Miramax back all the money they had put into pre production). Didn't that start like in '96 or '97? We just weren't following it all as closely back then because the internet spy network that exists today (for movies) didn't exist.

Anyway patience my fellow TORN trekkers. This extension - instead of a blind gasp for breath - seems to be part of an actual plan.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

Tim: Follow. But. Follow only if ye be TORNsibs of valour, for the making of The Hobbit is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no TORNsib yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of an A List veteran director lie strewn about its lair. So, brave TORNsibs, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for Hollywood Studio Bureaucratic Ineptitude awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!

Studio Exec: And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
Studio CEO: This new learning amazes me, Studio Lapdog. Explain again how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Sep 10 2010, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 14 (6019 views)
Shortcut
You are correct, Tim [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR trilogy production got delayed by perhaps a year due to the Miramax problems. Early 1997, Miramax acquires LOTR production and distribution rights. PJ, Fran, and eventually Phillippa write the script and lots of pre-production goes on, for 18 months. In June, 1998, Michael Eisner decides Miramax can only make one feature instead of two, with a budget cap of $75 mil. PJ refused, and Harvey Weinstein gave him three weeks to find another studio. The meeting with Bob Shaye at New Line takes place sometime in July. Negotiations follow, and the switch to NL is announced in August.

The three then rewrite the script--which they more-or-less have to do from scratch because the structure is so completely changed by the expansion to three parts. Principal photography begins in October of 1999. Of course, a lot of pre-production material already created could be used in the film. Still, there was a delay, including a very scary month for the filmmakers, who thought all their work might be turned over to some other director at Miramax. It's true that the public didn't pay much attention at the time. As far as I can tell, MIramax never announced that it was producing the film, so the fact of an adaptation wasn't known to the public until August 1998. But if we had been paying attention, we would have been at least as frustrated and worried--if not more so. After all, how many people knew who PJ was in those days? (I only knew his name from having seen some good reviews of Heavenly Creatures.)

At least this time we know, 1) that the film will be made eventually, and 2) that with PJ in charge to a considerable extent, whether as director/producer or producer, we should get a worthy successor to LOTR.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 10 2010, 3:19pm

Post #7 of 14 (5980 views)
Shortcut
Some other troubled films... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Michael Cimino's "Heavens Gate" troubles in the press.
....did not see it.

The Wolfman
http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/9594/the-troubled-history-of-the-wolfman.html

Jonah Hex
http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/what-hollywood-can-learn-from-jonah-hex.html
....did not see it.

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/top-5-makingof

Top 5 Making-of troubled-movie-production books
Posted by Mr. Whiplash on August 30, 2010 at 5:00pm

Cleopatra
Apocalyps Now
Cuthroat Island....did not see it.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 10 2010, 3:19pm)

Rogash
Bree

Sep 13 2010, 4:05pm

Post #8 of 14 (5851 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can we expect a decision on Peter Jackson directing or not ? He told himself ''soon''. I think that he had already decided since June. The date (15th) seems to be a good occasion.
I'm french and there are a lot members on messageboards who grows tiring of this situation (like the TORN's members).
The rumor of Blomkamp is enough,we wants the final decision on ''who directing''

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 13 2010, 4:17pm

Post #9 of 14 (5853 views)
Shortcut
Going by the track record? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing. No offense, but it seems to me PJ's standard PR line is to answer...in a month or two, or it'll be soon, etc. etc. I wouldn't hold my breath. It'll happen when it happens. Crazy

Photobucket

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 14 2010, 5:39am

Post #10 of 14 (5858 views)
Shortcut
T-Minus 1 day [In reply to] Can't Post

Being one day away from the 15th...gee time flies...I suppose we will hear some news on the wire regarding the creditors and bankruptcy plans. Assuming things go as planned I imagine the closed lips will start to open up with more "real" detail. Just think, in a few short months we will be sitting around on Christmas and New Years saying "what a ride the past year has been" and busy repeating the LOTRs TORN experience of spy reports,casting decisons and debating plot rumors. Remember, the pleasure is in the journey...it will be over and then we will have that familiar post LOTRs withdrawal...until rumors of The Children of Hurin movie start to show up.....

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 14 2010, 5:42am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2010, 2:50pm

Post #11 of 14 (5811 views)
Shortcut
Yes it's time for things to break loose [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sept. 15th deadline should be instigating some news. NEWS!

*waits for news*

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

Tim: No I don't talk about my love life for a very good reason, and that reason is I don't have one. Which is very good news for the ladies-I am still available. I'm a heck of a catch, cos, er well look at it. I live in Slough, in a lovely house, with my parents. I have my own room, which I've had since yep, since I was born. That's seen a lot of action I tell you. Mainly dusting. I went to university for a year as well, before I dropped out, so I'm a quitter. So, er, form an orderly queue ladies.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 15 2010, 10:20pm

Post #12 of 14 (5749 views)
Shortcut
Hummm...shocker. [In reply to] Can't Post

MGM gets another extension.

Photobucket

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 15 2010, 10:39pm

Post #13 of 14 (5769 views)
Shortcut
The vote will be the next big thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing exciting today, but the upcoming vote will be the dam buster I predict.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 16 2010, 1:09am

Post #14 of 14 (6772 views)
Shortcut
Looking for a bit O'Green!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.