The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Not exactly LotR, but...

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jun 8 2007, 11:31pm

Post #1 of 12 (665 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly LotR, but... Can't Post

JRRT always did have a love of flowers. This is my first peony of the season and it's a whopper! I wish you could all smell it, too. It's really lovely.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 9 2007, 3:52am

Post #2 of 12 (490 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that is a talent I lack!

The artist in me loves the way the light plays across the blossom...beautiful
DoN

Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Radhruin
Rohan

Jun 9 2007, 7:25am

Post #3 of 12 (489 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother has a huge bouquet of the white peonies on her kitchen table now. They really are lovely, and short-lived unfortunately. She hates the ants that join the party though. I sometimes think they are more enjoyable indoors, in a nice vase setting, than outdoors. The huge blossoms are sometimes overwhelmed by their voluminous greenery outside, particularly if they aren't in full sun. The stems seem to want to reach to the sky, but always fall short.Wink Nice picture, by the way.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2007, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 12 (495 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, i love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so full and perfect. The petals are so delicate.
MORE MORE! Smile.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2007, 11:44pm

Post #5 of 12 (493 views)
Shortcut
May I add one? [In reply to] Can't Post

From our backyard back in April:

I regretted the backdrop with the garden hose and the drainspout, but UT said I should look at it as if it brings out the beauty of the flower.

~~~~~~~~

Coming up with reasons for changing my nick from GaladrielTX to Galadriel wore me out.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 12:51am

Post #6 of 12 (476 views)
Shortcut
Just gorgeous! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Beren IV
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 1:01am

Post #7 of 12 (496 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying to grasp the anatomy of that thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the white are the petals, and that it hasn't opened up yet. But where are the sepals? Wink

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 2:25am

Post #8 of 12 (494 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like you know more about it than me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much have a black thumb. I have one indoor plant in my house and I don't know what it is. It looks like it's on its last legs. My outdoor stuff fares a little better because once it's planted I try not to touch it again or its dead!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 11 2007, 1:31am

Post #9 of 12 (472 views)
Shortcut
Wow! It's gorgeous! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 11 2007, 1:34am

Post #10 of 12 (486 views)
Shortcut
Beauty amongst the yard tools! // [In reply to] Can't Post

And love the way the droplets cling to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 11 2007, 4:44am

Post #11 of 12 (485 views)
Shortcut
Yay, our first photo! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a very nice one at that. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Radhruin
Rohan

Jun 14 2007, 6:19am

Post #12 of 12 (578 views)
Shortcut
Would they be "tepals"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha. I have no idea. A little research lead me to Wikipedia's definition of a sepal.

But many flowers have colorful sepals and lack petals or the sepals and petals look similar and are often called tepals. The term tepal is usually applied when the petals and sepals are not differentiated and look similar or the petals are absent and the sepals are colorful.

Or possibly the sepals are just hidden behind the petals, which I think is the case with peonies, but I'm no expert.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.