Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's Tuesday, so that must mean it's time to ask wha'chave been readin'!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 17 2010, 3:10pm

Post #1 of 23 (466 views)
Shortcut
It's Tuesday, so that must mean it's time to ask wha'chave been readin'! Can't Post

I'm still working my way through the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. We've had company, so not much time to read.

I need to figure out what I'm going to take on my trip this weekend - not much time to read on the trip, either, but plenty of time on the planes. The HHGG is just too large to cart around.

Notta

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Aug 17 2010, 3:31pm

Post #2 of 23 (295 views)
Shortcut
"Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as translated by The Professor. And an absolutely beautiful translation it is! I've read other versions of Sir Gawain before, but none of them have alliterations throughout or have the "bob and wheel" as Tolkien's does. Tolkien was truly a master philologist, and this work highlights that fact. I'm just blown away by the alliterative and metrical beauty of his translation.

Pearl next, and then Sir Orfeo! Oh, by the way, does anyone know if "Gawain" is pronounced "Guh-wayne" or "Gow-in?" I've heard it both ways.

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

(This post was edited by Leviathan's Bane on Aug 17 2010, 3:31pm)

acheron
Gondor

Aug 17 2010, 3:43pm

Post #3 of 23 (270 views)
Shortcut
just finished a history of the Glorious Revolution [In reply to] Can't Post

This one. I enjoyed it, and learned a lot. It's not something we covered in any of my history classes here in the US, which is a shame, as I think it was an important moment, not just for those in the British Isles (well, and the Netherlands and other parts of the continent), but also to the future US.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2010, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 23 (251 views)
Shortcut
The Three Edwards [In reply to] Can't Post

I, II, and III, by Thomas B. Costain. It's part of his Pageant of England, which includes The Conquerors, TTEs, and The Last Plantagenets. I've read them all before, then lost them by lending them out. Came across this one in a yard sale, and am still looking for the others. Very readable, and interesting. I love historical stuff.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 17 2010, 4:29pm

Post #5 of 23 (249 views)
Shortcut
It was also lacking in my US-focused history education // [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 17 2010, 4:31pm

Post #6 of 23 (361 views)
Shortcut
Scissorhands, Cullen and Norton? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 17 2010, 4:59pm

Post #7 of 23 (251 views)
Shortcut
Desolation Road [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the story of a little town on Mars that forms accidentally and sees such things as time-travel, saints, and revolution in its short history. The novel follows several members of the town and in many ways tells the story of the town itself rather than the people.

Quirky and fun, I liked Ian McDonald's style and story, but the book failed to grab hold of my interest for very long. I don't know if that says more about the book or about my shortened attention span, though Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 17 2010, 5:02pm

Post #8 of 23 (316 views)
Shortcut
My college British Lit. professor was Scottish. [In reply to] Can't Post

He pronounced it "gah-WAYNE", where "gah" sounds like the "ahh" you do when the doctor wants to have a look at your throat.

I loved listening to him speak. Very lyrical.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Aug 17 2010, 7:21pm

Post #9 of 23 (263 views)
Shortcut
A Scottish Brit-Lit prof?! I'm "green" with envy! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

(This post was edited by Leviathan's Bane on Aug 17 2010, 7:21pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2010, 11:17pm

Post #10 of 23 (249 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the way I pronounce it. [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd be surprised at how logical Scottish pronunciation of English is for us Spanish speakers. That is when they talk slowly and without to much slang, of course. Wink

Although Leviathan's pronunciation "Guh-wayne" could very well have its logic in the French name for this illustrous knight: Gauvain "Guh-van" (nasal n included, bien sűr! Tongue)

Visit Mexico from A to Z! This week Letters R and S.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Annael
Immortal

Aug 17 2010, 11:24pm

Post #11 of 23 (225 views)
Shortcut
Interpreting the Sacred [In reply to] Can't Post

by William Paden. A basic review of the various "lenses" used by Religious Studies folks to look at religion.

For fun, I've been re-reading "The Pursuit of Love" and "Love in a Cold Climate" by Nancy Mitford. Hilarious.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2010, 11:30pm

Post #12 of 23 (232 views)
Shortcut
Finished Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I found wonderful, as most of what I've read by Bradbury (which isn't that much, and haven't done for long) but I would really recommend the book.

I've also started The King's Gold, the fourth book in the Capitán Alatriste series. It's nice to read an enjoyable, yet extremely well crafted book originally written in Spanish (most of my reading is in English). Pérez-Reverte is a master of the language, holding a seat in the Royal Academy, which is, my friends, no small feat.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! This week Letters R and S.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 18 2010, 3:11am

Post #13 of 23 (230 views)
Shortcut
Working on here and there, the wide sweeping [In reply to] Can't Post

saga (17books) of the Sacketts by Louis L'Amour.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 18 2010, 4:31am

Post #14 of 23 (239 views)
Shortcut
Rereading"At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P Lovecraft.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Galadhwen
The Shire

Aug 18 2010, 7:33am

Post #15 of 23 (223 views)
Shortcut
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it Laugh

~The woods are burning, the ground lies bare. Do you feel it in the earth? Can you smell it in the air? The war is upon you, death moves in the fading light. Are you part of this world? Will you join their fight?~

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 18 2010, 5:36pm

Post #16 of 23 (233 views)
Shortcut
Raw Spirits, by Iain Banks [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked this book up in Scotland, and it has proved to be everything I hoped -- well-written, quirky, and informative.

Unlike sf writer Banks's other books, this is non-fiction, a chronicle of his journey around Scotland visiting whisky distilleries. There's also quite a bit about his life, the landscape, cars, and a plethora of other details. The delightful style reminded me strongly of Bill Bryson at his best, both funny and insightful, with more than a few lovely plays on words.

I highly recommend it, with one caveat: Banks made his journey in 2003, at the beginning of the Iraq War, and is not at all shy about expressing his opinions of that and of the political figures involved.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 18 2010, 11:42pm

Post #17 of 23 (223 views)
Shortcut
"Ethan Frome" and "Going Postal" [In reply to] Can't Post

The former I read on my kindle emulator because hey, it was free, and I'd been wondering for decades if it was as awful as I remembered in 9th grade, when I hated it. As it turns out, it wasn't, though I probably won't be reading it over and over. As a kid I couldn't stand it because I had no patience for characters who were adulterous (that ruined Dr. Zhivago for me too.) I still don't have much patience for it, but I've learned to see things more in shades of gray as I get older. Anyway, the writing was nice, even if the story was pretty grim.

The latter was because my daughter was reading some Pratchett and I thought "Oh, yeah, she's home again and she's brought the Pratchett with her." (She's the Keeper of the Pratchett in our family.) I'm absolutely loving this one. I don't know why, exactly, that some of them appeal to me more than others. There's something endearing about Moist von Lipwig, despite his obvious faults. And that post office is a character in its own right. I'm about halfway through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 18 2010, 11:46pm

Post #18 of 23 (216 views)
Shortcut
I finally read that last year. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems odd that it took me so long, since I've always loved Bradbury. I think my favorites are Dandelion Wine and the Martian Chronicles.

There's a short story he wrote about the mummies in Guanajuato. It's called "Next in Line". I remember that when I read the opening paragraph, I recognized the city from his description before he ever got to the mummies.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 19 2010, 1:47pm

Post #19 of 23 (206 views)
Shortcut
It's been decades [In reply to] Can't Post

since I read the Guanajato story, but I still remember it. Bradbury is a master!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 19 2010, 3:09pm

Post #20 of 23 (237 views)
Shortcut
Among other things, just finished "The Hobbit" for the humpty-leventh time. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a discussion on TORn some few months ago about the bit near the end where Bard and Thorin are "discussing" the distribution of Smaug's ill-gotten wealth. I don't remember the exact gist of the discussion, nor whether any consensus was reached.

As I read it again, however, it occurred to me that Thorin was rather hoist on his own dialectic petard. The reason he did not feel obligated to return to Bard any of Girion's stolen property was that Girion was dead and, therefore, not present to claim it. Claiming the right of treasure trove, perhaps, or invoking the law of possession.

He sure changed his tune when it came to the Arkenstone that belonged to his fathers, who, by the way, were also dead and also not present to claim it.

Tongue

It also occurred to me to wonder what business the Elvenking had there at all. I mean, he stayed to succour the Men of Laketown. But why did he set out in the first place, in full battle array, when he heard Smaug was dead? Couldn't he have sent messengers to find out what was going on and then sent the army?

Obviously Tolkien had to get the Elves there in time to fight the Battle of the Five Armies, but still...

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 20 2010, 1:09am

Post #21 of 23 (201 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty haunting, [In reply to] Can't Post

like a lot of Bradbury's stories.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 20 2010, 1:24am

Post #22 of 23 (208 views)
Shortcut
Have you read "Green Shadows, White Whale"...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Another Bradbury-girl here...Smile

I was delighted when I stumbled across a collection of stories he wrote when in Ireland, while working on the script for Moby Dick (which explains that title!)

Highly recommended!

Weaver

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 20 2010, 2:39am

Post #23 of 23 (305 views)
Shortcut
No, that's new to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love his Ireland stories too. I'll have to look into that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.